Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do hotels mind requests to make dining reservations?

May 3rd, 2001, 09:11 AM
Heather

The great threads being topped on Venice restaurants made me start thinking about making reservations for my upcoming trip. Is it acceptable to email the hotel and ask them to call for reservations for me? I was going to email them three choices with the phone nubmers, but I don't want to wear out my welcome before I even get there. If it makes any difference, the hotel is a two-star.

Thanks, in advance, for any advice!

May 3rd, 2001, 09:26 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Hi Heather. I'm sure it varies by hotel, but I had success in Paris last May. I did, however, know that the manager was friendly and was known to be helpful. I also sent my request via fax (faxes seem to get more credit than e-mails) with all the details very clearly laid out (restaurant name, phone number, date and time requested).

I was also very careful to make sure it sounded very much like a request, not something I assumed they'd do for me.

I don't see how it can hurt to try.

May 3rd, 2001, 10:20 AM
Ed

If it's a problem you're probably booked into the wrong hotel. A good hotel/concierge will be happy to do regardless of whether there's any financial advantage.

In many cases ... by no means all ... the restaurants, in one form or another, pay commissions.

twenj

May 3rd, 2001, 10:35 AM
Heather

Brian and Ed, thank you for the feedback. I haven't tried this before for restaurants outside of the hotel and didn't want to ask them to do something outside of the norm. Now, I just have to sit here and wait another two weeks to go. Here's another one for the Mother thread, "Patience is a virtue."

May 3rd, 2001, 03:13 PM
Meg

Do you tip the concierge if he/she has helped you make a reservation or other helpful services? If so, how much, when - individually to who has helped you? Any advice is appreciated. I'm assuming the concierge doesn't do this for free. But I'm an American, what do I know?

May 3rd, 2001, 03:20 PM
Judy

Hi Heather, when we stayed at the Hotel de Notre Dame, the person who I communicated with by e-mail before we got to Paris, said that they would be glad to make reservations for us. They did for 2 restaurants, and I did not know who it was specfically, so I did not tip anyone. It was a nice small 3 star family run hotel. FYI, Judy

May 3rd, 2001, 04:36 PM
Marc David Miller

Yes you do tip the concierge/if you don't know who performed the service, then give a copy of the e-mail to the manager and ask them to pass the money on to the helpful party.

May 7th, 2001, 05:58 AM
Heather

Thanks for all of the input ... now, I am eating at Da Fiore (thank you to many recommendations, especially Paulo's glowing review). And, only 10 more days of waiting ...