Do ATMs in Rome have daily limits?

Feb 18th, 2004, 11:04 AM
JGB
Original Poster

Do ATMs in Rome have daily limits?

I will be staying at one of those B&B's that hold your booking with a credit card, then expect cash for actual payment. I am just planning to pull the money out in Euros at an ATM when I'm there. It will be a rather large amount, so I don't want to be stuck not able to access the amount I need if they have a daily maximum that you can pull out (as my ATM over here has - $300/day.) Or does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks for your input.
Feb 18th, 2004, 11:10 AM

Yes, we ran into this problem and luckily had two ATMs-it was the same limit as at home.
Feb 18th, 2004, 11:21 AM

Yes, the same limit as at home

[email protected]
Feb 18th, 2004, 11:23 AM

Yes, as the others have said, you can only pull out $300 a day. Remembering, of course, that the euro is more than the USD so you won't be getting as much as you'd like! I was disappointed in September when I had $800 USD that only converted to approx. 680 euros! Alas.
Feb 18th, 2004, 11:25 AM

Although we upped our limit to $1000 with our own bank, we did find Italian ATMs that limited us to 300 euro. When we went to draw out a lot for a hotel cash payment, we tryed more and it told us there was a maximum of 300 euro allowed. After we took that out we reinserted the card and took another 300 out. I'm not sure if that's always possible, but it worked for us. Otherwise you can go to another ATM at another bank. Just make sure your own bank will allow you a higher daily withdrawal.
Feb 18th, 2004, 11:27 AM

You can ask your bank to increase your daily limit for the timeframe of your travel. Also keep in mind the "regular banking day" hours of your home bank (usually 9am - 2pm in your home time zone) govern your withdrawals and you will be several hours ahead of your bank. This applies to weekend transactions (after 2pm Friday) as well.
Feb 18th, 2004, 11:54 AM

Though there may be exceptions, the usual rule of thumb is that you can withdraw the daily maximum set by your bank while you are abroad, but individual ATM may have a withdrawal limit lower than that. In that case you can normally reinsert your card and withdraw further amounts. If that fails, try it in another machine, belonging to a different bank.
Feb 18th, 2004, 12:10 PM

As others have said . . there are two limits. Your bank will have one and the owner of the ATM will have one.

We were at a hotel in Paris once that offered a large enough discount for cash to make it worth while . . we paid the room daily so neither atm limit bothered us.

Rich
Feb 18th, 2004, 12:39 PM

I bank with Bank of America and was told my withdrawal limit was 700.00 per day. As if.....lol!
Feb 18th, 2004, 01:02 PM

Your bank will have it's own limit and even if you get it raised, you'll still be subject to the Italy bank's per-transaction limit. The more transactions, the higher your fee (unless you get these fees waived).

The per-transaction withdrawal limit from ATM's in Rome can vary significantly, depending on the bank. Even from the same bank you can expect ATM limit differences, depending on the neighborhood of the ATM.

I keep track of my Italian ATM's and I log all the exchange rates. I may be one of the few people who know where to find an ATM in Venice that permits you to withdraw up to € 1000 in one transaction.
Feb 18th, 2004, 01:48 PM
ira

Hi JGB,

As noted, the ATMs usually limit a single withdrawl to about 300E.

Your bank sets your daily rate for withdrawls.

If you need 900E you will have to withdraw 300E three separate times.
Feb 19th, 2004, 08:00 AM

I'm told to use a debit card instead of a credit card to get Euros, as my own bank may not charge a service charge. Has anyone had problems with this? Also, they allow $500/day rather than $300.

Thanks
Feb 19th, 2004, 08:07 AM
ira

Hi graham,

A debit card will work just like an ATM card.

You don't want to use a CC because your withdrawl is treated as a cash advance and you will pay interest charges from the moment you get your money until your bill is paid.
Feb 19th, 2004, 08:45 AM

I am also worried about getting euros in Italy. My VISA credit card rep told me that, if I needed a larger cash advance to pay a hotel bill, I could go INSIDE the bank and get euros with no limit. Has anyone done this? I am just worried that 300 E from an ATM per day is not enough to pay my hotel bill that doesn't accept CCs.
Feb 19th, 2004, 09:21 AM

italyss, I have gone inside the bank frequently for a cash advance on my debit card. If there is a limit I've never exceeded it but I've never taken more than the equivalent of $500.

Can't you take money from the ATM on a daily basis to pay your hotel? You don't have to leave it until the last day. 300 Euros is approximately $400. That's a lot of cash to need daily.