Diving from Llo to St. Crepin et Carlucet

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2006, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In September..on a Sunday..I will be driving from Llo to St. Crepin. My arrival time should be about 5:00.

I would appreciate suggestions of routes to take, stops to make, lunch perhaps.

Thanks,
Joan
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 07:29 AM
ira

Hi g,

Start with www.mappy.com and www.viamichelin.com

Old Mar 5th, 2006, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

I've already done that..I have the maps, books etc. I was asking for more personal experiences and suggestions..and for a Sunday drive..
Thanks,
Joan
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 08:27 AM

There are many, many places to stop & see between these two spots.

From the Cerdagne (Llo area) head northeast down the Tet river to Villefranche de Conflent. Park just outside the town gates and explore this very cute medieval village - especially the interesting ramparts around town. This is a popular tourist destination, so it's a little touristy, but quite fascinating. Note the Vauban fort above the village.

Then continue down the Tet through Prades, and glance to the left for a nice view of Eus to the north. At Ille sur Tet, get off the N116, and head to Belesta. You will pass the Orgues, which are interesting rock formations. After the Orgues head up the D2 a little & then turn around and get back on the N116 - this down & back will give you some good vistas. You will need a map of the area to navagate this next part - it's a little difficult, but rewarding. It should not be that bad on a Sunday. As you get near Perpignan, get on the N9 north, and then very soon, get off the N9 & head west on the D117 towards Quillan. After a few Ks, this becomes a very scenic drive. The "rewards" are the two interesting Cathars castle ruins. At Maury, head north on the very scenic D19. In 5K you will see the Ch Queribus. Get out & take pictures - but don't visit (you won't have time). Continue north & then northwest on the D14, to the much more interesting Cathars castle of Peyrepertuse. Explore this chateau on foot - allow about 1 1/2 hrs. After the chateau, continue west on the pretty D14, and then the D10 through the Gorges de Galamus back to the D117.

Once back on the D117, continue west. This next section of the D117 is very scenic. Stay on the D117 through the Defile de Pierre-Lys to Quillan. From Quillan, head north along the Aude river on the D118 to Carcassone. Of course, Carcassone is the big draw in the region. If you have not already visited it, do so.

Now, you probably need to ske-daddle to the Dordogne. Too bad you only have 1 day for this treck.

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Stu,
I will be in Cabezac for 3 nights and Llo for 2 nights before heading up to the Dordogne. I can do what you have mentioned in that time, along with the coastal ares, Sete, Pezenas and down to Ceret etc.

it is when I leave Llo to head for Carlucet on a Sunday that I was looking for some suggestions along the way to arrive there late afternoon.

As far as Carcassonne..benn there, done that, stayed at La Cite...best is the sight from the auto route!

Stu, I'm sure you are full of places that I should stop, Foix, Castelnaudry, Gaillac and on up that way? It will be Sunday...
Thanks,
Joan
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 10:01 AM

Gracejoan3 - Some time back, I think I posted a route that includes Foix (probably not that great for a Sunday), Mirepoix, and then the Castelnaudry, Revel, Castelnau, Bruniquel, Gorges du Aveyron, St Antonin stuff. This route is also included in the Languedoc Itinerary, that I think I sent you. The Gorges de Aveyron is a good place for Sunday, since the market in St Antonin is Sunday - however, I doubt if you can make it there by noon.

Do a search on "dudley" and perhaps Mirepoix or/and Bruniquel, and/or Revel , etc

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Stu,

Just copied it. That was the one from La Rogue Gageac to Toulouse. The person who asked for the info told you it was worth $100! Did you ever get the money? I can use this backwards.

Not quite sure from Llo up...Foix doesn't have much said about it and not sure if going over to Mirepoix and then up to Castelnaudry and wandering on up to Gaillac(where yours ended)is the way to do it or just head on up towards Toulouse and bypass it to the east someplace and on up to Gaillac.

Joan
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 03:16 PM

We took the N20 from Foix to Llo in '04 and it is a very scenic drive. We stayed overnight in both Foix & Llo. However, on a Sunday I don't think much will be going on in Foix.

I would suggest that from Llo you take this N20 north past Foix, and then get on the N12/D119 to Morepoix and visit this pretty bastide town. It' a tourist destination, so I think many of the outdoor cafes will be serving & it might be an interesting place for a stop - maybe lunch or a morning coffee. I have not traveled on this next stretch of road - after Morepoix, continue east on the D119, and then head north on the D28/D6 to Castelnaudry. Note that this is the same road, it just changes number when it goes from the Ariege department into the Aude Dept - this is typical in France.

I've driven the remainder of this route. From Castelnaudry, head north on the D624 to Revel. Not much will be going on in theis Bastide town, but you might walk in & take a look at the outdoor covered market area in the center of town. Then head north to Puylaurens, and then north on the pretty D84 through St Paul & Graulhet. Pass Grauhlet and take the (pretty again) D964 towards Gaillac. No need to stop in Gaillac, so take the D868 to the west of Gaillac and hop on the D18 going east to connect with the D964 north to Castelnau de Montmiral - one of my favorite bastide towns. It would be a nice place for a stop & a pick-me-up coffee. From there, follow the stuff I already posted to St Antonin & on to the Dordogne.

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Stu,

Thanks. I copied the last message. I can play it by ear with the clock for the sight-seeing.

I have the Michelin #337, #329 and Aamazon has #338, #342 and #344 on the way, along with a new Languedoc Csdogan. Also ordered something called "Drive Around Languedoc and South-West France". So many of my Michelins are the 200 series. Amazon had a deal to take their credit card and they give you $25 off, plus free shipping for orders of $25 or more. Thought it a good time to update some things.

I should be in great shape soon. Thanks for your input.
Joan
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 12:24 AM

Joan, em sembla que som compatriotes.
Anyway, I'll use English.
I thiank that from la Cerdanya to St. Crépin in the same day, you don't have time to see a lot of things. In my opinion, Foix is just OK and Mirepoix is more interesting (square, church,...).
However, I will drive to the area near Gaillac without any stop and spend the day visiting Castelnau de Montmiral, Puycelsi, Bruniquel and maybe Albi (the Toulouse Lautrec museum it's worth a visit).
Another area very interesting, in my opinion, is Montpézat de Quercy, Lauzerte and then up to the Périgord (you can stop in the Chateau de Bonaguil and the bastide of Monpazier). You have a lot of otions in that way.

Àlex
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 01:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input, Alex.

I did a viamichelin and just driving straight from Llo to St. Crepin is 4+ hours..so, I don't have that much extra time. I will just have to see how it goes.