Reload this Page >

Distance of Vatican to other sites

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 02:14 PM
Frank

I keep hearing how "far" the Vatican is from other sites. On a map it looks close and just across the river, am I wrong. Would staying near the Vatican be "inconvenient"?

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 02:23 PM
Tania

The nearby subway will take you almost anywhere you might want to go.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 03:57 PM
Donna

Alot of people balk at walking even short distances. The Vatican is not that far from any major Roman sights, the only time I would think about the distance is if I had a very tight schedule to keep or had to be somewhere at exactly a certain time. Otherwise just walk and meander all the way to the Vatican and enjoy Rome.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 04:11 PM
D. Faulkenberg

My wife and I walked everywhere in Rome last summer. It was a very special part of our trip, as we saw things we'd otherwise never have seen. Case in point, the walk from our hotel (Trevi Fountain area) to the Vatican. It was easy, took 45 minutes, and we enjoyed the neighborhoods immensely! Walk. You'll love it!

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 04:59 PM
xxx

The approximate walking distances from St. Peter's are:<BR>to piazza navona: 1 mile<BR>to piazza sta. maria in trastevere: 1.3 miles<BR>to piazza di spagna: 1.5 miles<BR>to the colosseum: 2.5 miles<BR>to villa borghese gallery: 2.7 miles

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 07:20 PM
Capo

Hi Frank. I tend to agree with what Donna said; there are a number of people who balk at walking even relatively short distances, so the Vatican would seem quite far away from the Centro Storico to them. <BR><BR>We found Rome -- compared to, say, a city like Paris -- to be very compact, with none of the big sights all that far from one another. We stayed for seven nights on the Vatican side of the Tiber and walked everywhere from there.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 07:36 PM
Dan

When you are in Vatican City, the old adage is very true that all roads lead to Rome.