Reload this Page >

Distance from Prague to Krakow

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2000, 06:09 AM
Debbie

Can anyone supply the distance it would take to drive from Prague to Krakow?Is it practical to attempt to rent a car ourselves and do they rent car with automatic transmissions??Thanks for any help

Old Aug 20th, 2000, 06:15 AM
Mary Ann

Try www.cwlease.com the routeplanner function. You put in the cities and it will give you the driving route, estimated driving time and miles or kilos. Generally it is better to rent before you leave. We've only picked up cars in Germany or Italy. We also always drove manuals which are cheaper. There is a thread on here that mentioned that most places will not guarantee automatics. In fact, when we rented through DER last year with pick up in Germany and drove to Prague, at that time they said we had to have a manual (I do not know if this was due to insurance).

Old Aug 20th, 2000, 07:16 AM
Art

Beware driving a car in Central Europe. There is a very high incidence of car theft there. I observed an incidence last year in Hungary. A couple came in for the weekend and stayed where I was staying. We went out to dinner that evening and when we returned he parked in front of the garage. The next morning the car was gone. Make sure that you are well covered insurance wise. You cannot drive in downtown Prague, but the public transportation is very good. Prague is beautiful and you'll have a great time there. <BR>Art <BR>

Old Aug 20th, 2000, 07:45 AM
Jim

Debbie, I would not drive to Krakow. Car theft,as mentioned earlier, in Poland is high. But that is not the reason not to drive to Krakow. When you get there, there is little use for a car and parking is expensive in Krakow- $10-15/day. The last time we were in Krakow, my car stood in a guarded paking lot for three days and we hardly used it. Trips to Aushswicz and the salt mines can be easily done by public transportation. Otherwise you will spend most of your time in the old city visiting everything easily on foot. <BR>I would take the train from Prague to Krakow and if I needed a car after Krakow,I would pick it up the day I left if you wanted to drive to the mountains in Zakopane.

Old Aug 20th, 2000, 06:32 PM
Alice

Oh they will promise you an automatic car. But you will not get one. You will also be charged for ever mark on it!! If you are lucky enough not to have it stolen that is. Yes parking prices are crazy even if you stay at a hotel and use their lot. transportation is cheap there, and fast too.

Old Aug 20th, 2000, 08:31 PM
ralph

Dear Debbie. Just got back from Poland.Cool,cool place to visit but do not drive to Krakow or in Krakow.Your car will be stolen for shure.Its the nature of the beast.Train takes a loooong time and not too safe between Prague and Polish border.Krakow it self is safe and pleasant and stunning.For a great meal try POD OKIEM near rynek.Good luck