Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Disposable and / or cell phone for 3 weeks Poland and Germany

Old Jul 15th, 2014, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi folks. Just wondered if there is a cheap cell phone I can purchase while in Poland and Germany (mostly Germany). If I recall, I bought one in England for about 30 US$ with some prepaid hours. I wonder if there is something like this for Germany I really only need it for emergency calls, calling ahead on hotels, etc., or occasional calls back home.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Jul 15th, 2014, 05:53 PM

Get an unlocked quad band GSM phone in the US (e.g. eBay) and take it with you, then buy a pre-paid SIM card in each country when you get there. In Poland, SIM cards for carriers like Orange wireless are for sale all over the place. When I bought mine, I asked the guy at the kiosk to activate it for me without me needing to navigate voice menus.

US T-Mobile users on the Simple Choice plan can make local calls for 20 cents a minute in Poland and Germany, some free WiFi calling, and free 2G data too. But your T-Mobile phone would need to be quad band GSM - some aren't especially older phones. (My last GSM flip phone before I bought an Android wasn't quad band.)
Old Jul 15th, 2014, 06:37 PM

A cheap SIM in Germany that is good for travellers is Lebara - they have English-speaking operators and very good rates abroad. I used it in Germany about 4 years ago and if you have two people with Lebara SIMs you can call each other at reduced rates. There is a lot of discussion of Lebara in the France forum, and many people pre-order the SIM, to be sent to them at home. Do a search on it and you will see some of the discussion. I think you have no space to put in your country in the online form, as they say they post only to say Germany / France etc., but you can sneak in your country on one of the other lines.

Hope this is clear - if not I will try to clarify...

Lavandula
Old Jul 15th, 2014, 06:45 PM

Oh, another point - you can use your SIM for roaming, which is capped in Europe. So a SIM you buy in Poland is good for Germany, but depending on the SIM, you may have trouble topping up, so make sure you buy enough minutes. With Lebara there should be no problems because you should be able to top up by credit card over the phone.

Lavandula
Old Jul 15th, 2014, 08:57 PM

Is it even necessary to buy a phone? If your usage model is as you mentioned -- just in case usages, what is the downside of using your current phone, presuming it is GSM capable phone that can operate on 900mhz/1800mhz? Buying a phone means, you expense fund and time to look for and buy a unit for just in case usage - that is you might not even use it.
If you plan to call ahead on hotels or calling home from your hotel, you can do it for few cents a minute on VOIP over hotel's wifi.
Old Jul 18th, 2014, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Ok, thanks all. I'm examining my needs vis-a-vis phones. Lebara looks like it could work.
Thanks again.