Disappointing meal at L'Ami Jean in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2007, 03:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After trying to get a reservation for a while, we were all disapointed.

Crowded, double-service, tables an inch two apart with bottoms and coats scapping on each others plates as we tried to get through! The a-la-carte was very expensive €28 - €40 per dish (fixed menu was excellent value at €32). I had the fixed menu and it was delicious, exquisite food.

Oh but the worst! They have no separate smoking and non-smoking sections. All mixed into one small, badly aired place.

Will try it again next year when the smoking laws come into place, but the tables and people on top of each other was a worry.

Has anyone dined there recently, or did I just have a bad evening?
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 03:24 AM

The only bad part of your evening seems to be that you were bothered by the smoke and that the tables are tightly packed. The place is a crowded, smoky former sports bar so that is par for the course, so to speak. I think people go not for the atmosphere, which is less than the most comfortable, but for Jego's food. My most recent experience was not dissimilar to yours but I would gladly eat there again and again for the food. I agree that the prix fixe is an astounding value. I don't remember the place being more smoky than any other place but then, the smoke would not bother me, so...
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 03:28 AM

I've never been to Paris, so this is only what I have read on other boards. I am a foodie, so my reaseach for my upcoming trip is quite intensive

I have read several posts like yours, and they all have the same in common: They did not know what to expect prior to their visit.

Almost all reviews from people knowing the consept a priori, have been positive, and only foodwise.

I am thinking of visiting l'ami, but: i am alone with my 13.month son . Do you think he even fits in?

Old Oct 24th, 2007, 03:37 AM

If you can take your son to other places you can take him there. As I wrote, it is a jam-packed former bar. Loud and apparently smoky. I would try to get a reservation for the first seating if I were bringing a child. As long as he can behave, why not? Better still might be lunch if they are open..not sure..

The atmosphere is about as far from a place like Taillevent as one could imagine!
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 03:55 AM

Packing tables closely together is common in Paris. Fortunately, I have seen that even some Parisians are not that graceful maneuvering in and out of them, so I don't feel so bad anymore about my own less than adept performance sitting down and then getting up. Esp. in winter, when I'm trailing a coat, scarf, purse and (hopefully) a shopping bag.

The smoke would bother me. I guess that's why overall I'm happier dining in Brussels, where restaurants are now smoke free (or have nonsmoking sections), tables are bigger, and there is more room between them ;-)
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 04:44 AM

Don't places have a coatrack closer to the door so you can relieve yourself of the outerwear prior to your table-weaving?
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 05:03 AM

Yes they had coatracks at L'Ami Jean.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 06:45 AM

Thank you I think I will try to make lunch if they do it.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 08:09 AM

Open for lunch Tuesday through Saturday according to one of my guides...
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

I will probably go back again, but next year when it's smoke free. The problem was, the food was excellent, but our eyes were burning, the rice pudding was smoked on and we always seemed to get our courses when the tables around us were continually lighting up. It was just our bad luck I guess.

The coat rack was overflowing to the point stuff was falling on the floor. Also, I don't like double service as the front section near the bar was packed with people waiting for their table while the other diners were still eating. We had to push our table closer to the next one with bike helmets falling off the stool nearby, bouncing on our table. Funny really, but nevermind, the smoke was probably the biggest problem and the tables were to crushed together (even for Parisian standards).

I'll book a table there for next February and will probably find it booked!
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 10:10 AM

I did not fully understand the seriousness of the smoke and the jam-packed tables until now. It will not be suitable for my little son, so I am very glad for your review.

Thank you "ekscrunchy" for finding the lunch-times
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 03:14 PM

I returned from Paris yesterday. I will post in a few days.

I did not make reservations for l'Ami Jean. It was only a block from my apt. I am also glad that I did not. Good friends told me about it being overly close..also about food not being properly cooked..fish was undercooked..could not even separate from the bone. I stopped in and took a look before lunch time. I had to agree about the seating. There is close and overly close...this place elbows would touch!! The need to remove a few tables!!

There are so many really good restaurants in the area that one does not need the negatives from l'Ami Jean! My personal opinion and that of friends who know the area very well!!
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 04:01 PM

For the record: We lunched at L'Ami Jean on Thursday Oct 4 this year.
We both stuck to the menu and all the food was very good. The portions were larger than we expected from a restaurant in Paris especially in the light of the quality of the food.
Yes, the tables are one millimeter apart BUT there was no smoke during our visit and trust me I would have smelled any.
Starters were raw salmon with some chopped vegetables and a carrot soup (bouillon). Main courses were rabbitt filet and roast chicken. The desserts were an appple clafoutis and a chocolate tart with creme de mint. As noted in the orignal post the cost of the menu was 32 euros. We were delighted by all the courses.
We will certainly return during our next Paris visit. The one puzzlement was the restaurant seemed to downplay green vegetables. This was curious to us but perhaps it was the specific day we visited.
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 03:14 AM

Sounds like my kind of place. Where is L'Ami Jean?
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 03:25 AM

Rue Malar in the 7eme