Dinner in Spain at 10 pm?

Old Jul 26th, 2003, 05:15 AM
KY
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dinner in Spain at 10 pm?

Is is really true that people have dinner so late in Spain? Some cities in Spain are notorious for being unsafe in term of law and order. If we have dinner so late, is it safe to walk around the city, such as in Barcelona, to search for a good restaurant. I have heard too many stories about mugging, things being stolen, etc,. My first thought is to have dinner in the hotel where we are staying, but obviously it's not the way to experience some good food.
Any suggestions or comments?

Old Jul 26th, 2003, 05:40 AM

Yes, it is customary to have dinner between 10 PM and midnight in Spain. However, there are many tourist restaurants where you can eat as early as 6 PM if you would like. If you are so concerned about being mugged, why don't you take a taxi to and from the restaurant? I don't understand you. Are you afraid to procure a cab too? I have been all over Spain and I have never been to any city/town that were without law and order. You may have to watch out for pickpockets, but I highly doubt anyone will drag you into a dark corner or shoot you.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 05:46 AM

I really don't understand the crime paranoia either about spain. I ate dinner and went clubbing well into the wee hours in Madrid, and never felt unsafe walking or taking the Metro late at nite. THe streets are always packed with people.
I wouldn't worry so much about it. It will be fine.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 07:06 AM

The one crime exception seems to be Barcelona. I have been there 3 times - robbed/pickpocketed 3 times. You'd think I would learn, but when the jostling starts, I still think - rude locals, as opposed to WALLET. My exerience with Barcelona appears not to be unique. I echo other posts that the police are disinterested. How else, since this must happen about once every minute, especially around Las Ramblas and the Gothic Quarter. Also be very careful getting onto the Bus Turistic.

BUT the crime is not violent and is as likely to occur at any hour of the day/night. So I also agree that you should not be put off late eating. Its safe if you just get into the WALLET habit.

Peter
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 07:16 AM

Hi KY. You'll have no problem finding a restaurant to eat in at any time you wish. It is true that Spaniards eat quite late, and adopting thier time frame can be part of the charm of visiting the country. But there are also plenty of restaurants open early, as well as bars that serve food and tapas.

As for crime, it is true that pickpockets can be a problem, but that problem is not confined to late night hours. I was with a friend in Madrid who was pickpocketed (about $35) at 8pm. Still, don't be overly concerned about violent crime. Just take the normal precautions that you would anywhere and you will have a safe, fun trip.

And ThinGorjus, lighten up.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 07:27 AM
Intrepid

"Some cities in Spain are notorius..." Which ones? Sounds like a real generalization based more on heresay than fact. There are pickpockets in Barcelona who can be easily thwarted if you take the right precautions...moneybelt, etc., but those hardly qualify as being "unsafe in terms of law and order."
But, you're going anyway, aren't you? So, yes, you can expect a lot of restaurants NOT to be open until 9 or 10 PM..not all, but quite a few. If you feel unsafe walking then I advise use of a taxi. If even that seems like a hardship I'd either strongly advise visiting only those non-unsafe cities you may have heard about or visiting another country entirely.

Old Jul 26th, 2003, 08:10 AM

I used a regular little purse in Barcelona and never got robbed or anything. But I look like a Terminatrix so people usually don't mess with me.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 08:36 AM
ira

Hi KY,

If everyone is out and about from 10:00 PM to midnight, the chances of being mugged are very small.

Worry about violent crime on deserted streets.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 09:28 AM

People do eat very late in Spain; go into a restaurant at 9 pm and you're often the first person there. I found that in Madrid in particular, everything closes between 2 and 4 pm (or even later), so we decided to have long lunches, and then go out again. In the evening we ate tapas.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 12:14 PM

Actually we found the habit of Spaniards eating late to be very beneficial to us. We would arrive as soon as the restaurant opened--usually 8 or 9 pm and could eat with excellent service and no smokers around.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 06:30 PM
KY
Original Poster

Thanks for everybody's kind response. May be I am a bit over-cautious, and sorry to have given the impression suggesting Spain is not a safe country, which is not my intention.