Dinkelsbuhl, Nordlingen, and Munich??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Dinkelsbuhl and Nordlingen for two days total and two days in Munich. Does this seem like a good amount of time to see the major sites? We could have added an extra day to Munich but that would mean taking out Neuschwanstein castle.

For those that have visited and know the area well, given the limited amount of time, what would you do in terms of site seeing? I really want to get a feel for Germany, how people live, their lifestyle/homes/food etc.

Any suggestions?
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 08:39 AM

Both Dinkelsbuehl and Noerdlingen could easily be see in one day total IMO. Obviously, if you wish to spend more time in each then you could but the old towns of each are quite small. They are about 40 minutes apart so if you got an early start, you could definitely see both in one day.

It's been too long since I have been to Munich, but two days sounds about right.
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 09:04 AM
ira

Hi smr,

How are you doing N and D - separately, or visiting one from the other?

2 nights in Munich is OK, 3 would be better.

Why not sacrifice a day in N or D rather than Munich for Neuchwanstein?

Old Jul 12th, 2009, 09:05 AM

I agree with bettyk. Dinkelsbuehl and Noerdlingen can be done in a day because they are quite small towns and right next to each other.

For your other day, I would suggest spending the day at Rothenburg ob der Tauber, a mere half an hour drive from Dinkelsbuehl!
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 09:17 AM

What time of year will you be visiting Germany? There are d
different things I would recommend for different times of year.

Nördlingen and Dinkelsbühl are both interesting and beautiful but touristy, not really the places to get a feel for modern German life.
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

We are going in a few weeks. Thats interesting that people think we can do both in one day. We were planning on allocating one day for each. Is rothenberg very different?

I really want to get a feel for what life is like in germany - not necessarily big city life. I don't know if there are "suburbs" or "neighborhoods" like there are in America but I just want to wander around and definitely see touristy things but also see like where people live, what their houses look like etc etc. Thats the type of stuff that fascinates me.
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 12:23 PM

Modern German life? I'd much rather see the medievel buildings, churches and fountains. We have "modern life" here in the US.

We've been to all of the towns mentioned above and have been able to see and talk to many German people -- not just tourists.

Just my experience.
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 12:31 PM

I do hope to live "modern", but I'm positively sure I'll never live "american" .
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 12:48 PM

Rothenburg is more spectacular--and therefore more visited--than Nördlingen and Dinkelsbühl. It gets three Michelin stars whereas they get one each.

In Munich in the summer I would definitely go to at least one beer garden. I would also visit one of the food markets, either the Victualienmarkt near the central Marienplatz or the Elisabethmarkt in the interesting neighborhood of Schwabing. You might also want to take a tram out to the Neuhausen neighborhood to visit Schloss Nymphenburg, the summer residence of the Wittelsbachs.
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

We are arriving in Dusseldorf and so Rothenberg should be on our way to Nordlingen. We are staying two days in Nordlingen. How long should one spend in Rothenberg? On the way back we also have one night in heidelberg before we depart.

Why is Rothenberg more spectacular? More to see?
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 01:31 PM

You've go Heidelberg spelled right, congrats!
Dusseldorf (stupid village) would be Duesseldorf,
Nordlingen would be Noerdlingen,
Rothenberg would be Rothenburg.

Heidelberg is more spectacular than any of those other places imho. Go inside the building and look. It's the only bigger city not destroyed in the war. Look at the glass doors and the paintings in the houses. Genuine late 19th century.
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

What do you all think of the Neuschwanstein castle? Is it worth using an entire day? We could add that day to Munich to make the total stay three days - any thoughts? How long does the entire visit take typically?
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 01:40 PM

>Neuschwanstein
Disneyland substitute for US tourists. Quite good, because of the lower entrance fees. If Disneyland is worth a day, Neuschwanstein is too.
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 02:01 PM
ira

Hi smr00 on Jul 12, 09 at 01:21 PM

Haus Karin is in a typical native neighborhood outside the walls of a medieval city.

Look up Rothenburg under "Destinations" and also search the Forum.

Old Jul 12th, 2009, 02:05 PM

We really enjoyed our trip to Neuschwanstein - also toured Hohenschwangau while we were there. I've been interested in Crazy King Ludwig since I was a kid, so it was great to be able to see where he grew up and his fairytale castle. There were loads of people there though and although the tours were fairly quick, I still thought it was worth going. The local area is very pretty too.

I think it is a tough decision though - more time in Munich or a day trip to see the castles? I think it depends on your level of interest. For me, I couldn't imagine going to southern Germany and not visiting. For others, it isn't a must-see.
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

How long are lines typically at the castle? I guess I could justify seeing it but not if we had to wait in line for 5 hours.
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

I was trying to find their central website (if there is one) and I read somewhere that the tours take about half hour? Is that correct? Its opened until 6 pm and am wondering if there is a way to avoid long lines and plan on arriving around 4 pm so that we have the earlier part of the day in Munich. Also, is it true that your entire visit to the castle is through a guided tour and that there is no wandering around inside to take pics allowed, etc?
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 03:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,

Yes, your visit is by guided tour which is about 30 minutes long. No photo's allowed inside the castle. You can buy tickets for a specific time in advance.

www.lisl.de/548.0.html

Paul
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

So if you buy a ticket in advanced, does that mean you avoid long lines?
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 05:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Noerdlingen? Und "north" auf Deutsch ist was?
Nein, ist Nordlingen.

smr00---RE:"I really want to get a feel for Germany, how people live, their lifestyle/homes/food etc." How do you plan to do this? Do you speak German? What are your expectations? Are you hoping strangers invite you into their homes?

Central Rot....g o.T. is bigger and more commercialized (meaning it plays up the "faux medieval" more) than central Dinkelsbuhl or central Nordlingen, and is less "everyday Germany" than the other two. Now, if you were to stray outside the "zentrum", normality is the same anywhere.

I think Neu... castle is highly overrated, even compared to some lesser known names in the broad area of Swabia including Dinkelsbuhl, Nord..., and Rothen..... That said, it's the only one known to most people. Perhaps you'd want to consider the abbey at Ettal and the castle Hohenschwangau in addition to Neu..., since they're nearby.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -