Dining solo in Madrid

Search

Dining solo in Madrid

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2003, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dining solo in Madrid

Maybe a stupid question but what, if any, considerations apply when dining solo in Madrid, other than standard common sense.

(Maribel: one of your entries in your Madrid file notes "not for singles", which made me wonder.)
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 09:19 PM

Don't be silly Granma, there are no stupid questions because everyone has a different frame of reference, and different levels of experience.

I often travel alone, and was most recently in Spain for 3 weeks in June. I had absolutely no problems dining out alone there, nor Madrid specifically. In fact, I was often treated to a complimentary glass of wine and appetizer by the waiters while I waited for my table or entree.

One thing that happens more to me in NYC than anywhere else, is that as a single person, you're often shown to a table in a less than desirable part of the dining room,or asked if you'd like to eat at the bar if the restaurant is busy. You can always decline and say you'll wait, but that may indeed be what you'll do -wait! Don't be offended by this. I often accept where I'm seated (unless it's REALLY uncomfortable) because I'd rather relax and enjoy my meal, rather than being rushed out of a "good" table because others are waiting for it. Now if I'm dining with someone else, that's a different story!!

Anyway, have fun!!
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 04:19 AM
Maira

I've been to Madrid by myself and would recommend that you head out for dinner early (which for Spanish's standards is about 8pm). I felt less "obvious" when the restaurants were less crowded. Also consider a hearty late lunch, with a lot of business people also eating by themselves. I recommend "El Asador de Aranda" near Gran Via (their roasts are phenomenal). Wonderful service, great food, beautiful restaurant, they even brought in dessert and sherry on the house. Delightful service that made me feel like I was not dining by myself, but in a friend's house. Have fun in Spain, a wonderful destination!

Old Oct 13th, 2003, 07:56 AM

sillygranma,
That entry in the file "not for singles" refers to the sit down wine & tapas bar that only has tables for 2 and 4 and no space for singles at the bar.

A great place for singles in my experience are the many wine bars up and down and around the Cava Baja in Old Madrid which are lively and crowded from 9 p.m. on, so one can easily blend in and not feel the odd man out. And they open at 8, so you have more dining options, as very few restaurants open that early (Botin being the exception-a few more, such as La Barraca, La Bola, Finca de Susana and Taberna del Alabardero open at 8:30, most at 9).
I've dined alone, at the bar, at Los Lucio, la Taberna de 100 vinos (a great place for a single), El Tempranillo, La Salamandra.
Also the bar of la Taberna del Alabardero across from the Teatro Real has marble tables where one can enjoy nice tapas in a fin de siecle setting-very comfortable for one. Another great place for a single to dine is the very handy Cafe del Oriente nearby, which has multiple dining options from tapas and salads to full meals and is always lively.

For a typical Madrid roasting tavern dining experience, besides the Asador de Aranda and Asador Frontón, I really like the Posada de la Villa. The last time I dined there alone, I was given a great table, very attentive service and like Maira, an extra dessert plus a little key to the tavern as a momento. They do pamper the ladies who dine alone there. The same has been the case for me at El Llando in a pretty location in the Parque de las Vistillas overlooking the Royal Palace. When I arrived at 9, however, I was the only guest and actually dined for a while with the staff! Needless to say, the waiters took very good care of me, brought their famous pear brandy for me to try (an entire bottle just left on the table!) and gave me another momento to take with me. And they remembered me when I returned with my family.

In the Salamanca district, there are 3 tapas bars that stand out as being excellent for single diners: La Taberna de la Daniela (General Pardiñas 21, open Sun), Estay (Hermosilla 46) and the hip and Basque pintxo bar Biotza (Claudio Coello 27), which doesn't close between lunch and dinner and also open Sun.
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 02:03 PM

sillygranma,
Forgot to add that as Matisse found dining alone in Spain, a lady is rarely given a table in "Siberia", next to the kitchen, as can often happen in certain restaurants in NYC.

A typo: the wonderful Madrid tavern, a cousin of Casa Lucio, is El Lando. And their special French liqueur was franboise rather than peach! Just checked my notes-must have had 1 glass to many to blur the memory!

Another lively Cava Baja area tapas bar where you won't feel self-conscious is La Carpanta on Almendro 22. It's hugely popular and yes, filled with yuppie couples and large groups of friends out on the town, but there are little tables at the front where you can sit and enjoy a round of tapas or just have them standing at the bar. There's also a dining area in back with low wood tables, and the place is always jammed, as are the others I mentioned, on wkd. nights.

From my file, for those who would rather dine on the early side, 8 ish, here's a list of Old Madrid restaurants that do open early by Spanish standards:

Open at 8:
Antigua Casa Sobrinos de Botín
Posada de la Villa
Terra Mundi

8:30-8:45:
La Barraca
La Bola
Casa Paco
Zerain (very popular at lunch with the Parliament crowd)
El Schotis
Taberna del Alabardero

And by the way, your question, as Matisse has told you, is not stupid by any means. I answer that question all the time. Just to reassure you, I receive great service as a solo diner, actually better attention and more pampering, when dining out in Madrid, and Barcelona.