Reload this Page >

Dining inexpensively in Spain

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2003, 12:12 PM
Susan_H

I will be visiting Madrid, Barcellona, Seville and Granada next month and hoping that meals won't wreck my budget. Any tips from those who are familiar with Spain? I do not need elaborate cuisine. Simple, even "take out" food is fine. Are menues posted in front of restaurants so I can get an idea of the prices before I enter? I am trying to learn a few essential phrases in Spanish, but will my lack of fluency present major difficulties? Thanks to all.

Old Mar 25th, 2003, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spanish restaurants all provide a "menu del dia" which is 3 courses for a reasonable price. It is usually posted outside the restaurant with the price.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 01:59 PM

We found food in Spain to be very affordable, even in Madrid. Almost all restaurants post the menu with prices outside. If you're not picky, in Granada, you can probably get enough free tapas with your drinks to fill you up by going from place to place--and they give you tapas at a lot of places even with a coke. I found prices in Madrid and Granada to be much more reasonable than here in US and nobody looks at you funny if you go in a just order a salad and soup (which always comes with all the good bread you can eat).
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 02:13 PM

I agree.<BR><BR>The tapas are meal. <BR><BR>Between the &quot;menu del dia&quot; and the tapas you do not need to worry about your pocket.<BR><BR>In Madrid, you may want to try a restaurant &quot;La Gloria de la Montera&quot;, it is located on a street behind Gran Via 18 more or less. I had a glorious sit down dinner there, wine included, for 15 euros. <BR><BR>If you go to Corte Ingles(Princesa), there is a tapas bar by the gourmet corner where you will do great! <BR><BR>Enjoy your visit to Spain. (I will there as of next week)
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 03:37 PM

We just returned from Andalucia where we ate very cheaply. If you do not want to be stuck eating only at places where there is an English menu, I'd suggest that you buy this very very helpful book: Eating &amp; Drinking in Spain by Open Road Publishing. It was a life saver for us because it it an alphabetical listing of every food related word you'll find on a menu. You are going to get awfully sick of fried food however.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 04:53 AM
Susan_H

Thanks everyone for the good advice! I cant wait to go.

Old Mar 26th, 2003, 07:24 PM

I agree with the previous posters--found the food to be very reasonably priced in Spain, especially the wine. If you like wine, bring a corkscrew and go to any market and you will be amazed at the quality of wine you can get for very low prices. One of my favorites is Freixenet Brut Cordon Negro (Cava) (champagne)and we didn't have a bad bottle of red wine the entire trip.<BR><BR>Also, I highly recommend La Dolca Herminia in Barcelona (Magdalenes 27--2 blocks towards Ramblas from Palau de la Musica)--excellent food at great prices and they even have a non-smoking section.<BR><BR>Have a great trip and let us know all about it when you get back.