Search

Need recommendation for hotel in Ljubljana

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2018, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need recommendation for hotel in Ljubljana

Hi everyone,
I would appreciate hotel recommendations for Ljubljana. Our budget is $150 - $200. We prefer smaller hotels. Will consider B&B or perhaps an apartment, but we do like 24-hour desk reception. And we want to be in or near the center.

Elizabeth S on this forum recommended Hotel Urban, which is a little over our price range, but has received the best reviews. So I might consider it, but am looking for other options. So many hotels I have looked at look amazing on their websites, but many reviews are negative. Or 50% positive and 50% awful for the same hotel.

The Slamic B & B shows no availability on booking.com and TripAdvisor. I have emailed them to see if they have any availability for our dates (early May).

I am looking at Allegro Hotel but it gets some negative reviews. Another consideration is the Adora Hotel but allegedly elevator doesn't always work.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks!
Old Sep 16th, 2018, 08:45 PM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
I can not offer advice on the lodging choices you've mentioned. I can, however, mention that we stayed in Hotel Cubo (ranked #1 on TripAdvisor) in spring 2017 and honestly, didn't get the hype. Ours was a standard room and it overlooked some derelict apartments and a parking lot. Rather oddly, the shower was separate from the WC and its walls were clear, offering prime-viewing to anyone else in the room; not an issue for DH and me, but this might be for some. The bathroom lighting was atrocious. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful, though; and the breakfast was more than just the usual standard European continental.
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 03:04 AM

It's entirely possible that hotels etc haven't released their bookings that far in advance. No availability may just mean that they haven't opened bookings yet. It's a long way off. I've noticed that some places don't open bookings until January for May.

When looking at reviews, apart from common themes of feedback, I look at whether people are complaining about things which simply wouldn't bother me. And where the reviewer comes from (I find Americans often have a different criteria to me, for example). I have a friend who I sometimes travel with who has quite different criteria to me (but we end up compromising pretty well). Every place seems to get positive and negative reviews, many of which are about the reviewer as much as the hotel or about a specific incident which no one else comments on.
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 04:19 AM

<<It's entirely possible that hotels etc haven't released their bookings that far in advance. No availability may just mean that they haven't opened bookings yet. It's a long way off. I've noticed that some places don't open bookings until January for May.>>

That's been my experience in the past as well. While I don't have any experience in this region, I've noticed that a lot of smaller places don't release their availability until January, especially on larger booking sites like booking.com. Don't assume they're not available. It may be a good idea to simply write to them and ask about availability and rates.
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

I heard back from Slamic B & B, and they are full during the days we will be there.

Hotel Cubo states Sold Out on booking.com. I could email them but the shower in the room seems weird to me. OTOH, their breakfast sounds delicious! I am usually not this picky, but a problematic elevator (Adora Hotel) makes me nervous because I would most likely use it especially since I have some mobility issues due to arthritis.

I might book the Urban now but continue looking. Someone recommended the 4 Windows City but the rooms look very, very small.
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

You are right about not releasing bookings far in advance. I tried random dates for Hotel Cubo and they all say Sold Out.
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 07:48 AM

Hotel Emonec in Ljubljana was great, we were very happy with our stay there, location, breakfast and room was great.
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 12:35 PM

The Grand Hotel Union is in probably the perfect location in Ljubljana. But it is definitely on the pricey side. I stayed there one night a few years ago when the price dropped near the last minute (I guess they weren't full) - wound up being only about 90 Euros/night but I was in town only one night. The panoramic view of Ljubljana from my room was AMAZING! Wow - that alone was worth something. And the local is perfect as I said - right in the center of things. I didn't have a car to park there either - so if you will have one, you'd need to factor that in.

I usually stay in dives in Ljubljana (I stayed at the Slamic once and it was very decent, but no view and location is only so-so), because hotels have always seemed overpriced there. I just go to Booking.com before each visit and see what's available and what price - but I especially prefer a central location as in this pedestrian-friendly city, walking around is one of my favorite activities. But Ljubljana is another Balkan city without an abundance of proper "hotels." I've stayed at only one (The Union) and at hostels or B&Bs the other three times. If you really want a proper hotel, in a decent location, either expect to pay more than you might think is fair, stay at a not-so-nice place, or stay further from the center.