Just Outside Paris Hotel??

Sep 9th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Just Outside Paris Hotel??

I've been sticker shocked at the cost of hotels in Paris...not to mention the week I have a trip planned the few twin bed rooms available are booked! So I'm wondering if theres somewhere just outside the city. A high end resort to make home base. Or any great suggestions for booking tricks to find some deals. I planned on about $350/400 USD per night.
Sep 9th, 2012, 07:30 PM

Where are you looking at? You did not mention the time frame or the location. For example, just to get some idea, is this at an ok location at an ok price? hotelclementparis.com‎
Sep 9th, 2012, 07:43 PM

I see your other posts. You have been doing this since July and still have not booked a hotel for your visit next month? I think the American style hotel you are looking at and the short lead time of your visit are working against you at this point. You might have relevant reasons for choosing an American style hotel, but you are in Paris. I suspect the hotels you are looking for command premium pricing targeted to last minutes business travelers who must book these type of rooms even at premium prices.
Sep 9th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

I actually had cancelled the trip...and just re booked. I'll be there October 17-21th. With such a short trip the reason I am looking for an "American Style" hotel is that I'll be relying heavily on the hotel to help in booking dinners, tours etc. I have heard many a horror story of charming quaint Parisian boutique hotels without english speaking staff, or the availablity of twin beds, or rooms that while confirmed NON smoking have clearly been smoked in.

The rates haven't changed from my original search. I've had to broaden my search from just the Marais, and Les Halles area.
Sep 9th, 2012, 08:50 PM

Well I don't care what you've heard, most hotels have been completely smoke free for several years now,, get uptodate!

Secondly, all three star hotels have english speaking staff. I don't know where you get your info from , but the star system in france is based on certain things, not always the quality of them though, and to get 3 stars they are supposed to have english speaking staff available.. although the occaisonal night clerk may have a very poor command of it.

Your budget is high, I have no idea why you haven't found something yet, I haven't read your other posts( or I don't recall them ) but sounds like you want a hotel with a concierge who will be of assistance to you .In which case you may be looking at four star hotels and those can be very expensive,, so it seems your best bet is getting a three star( more in your budget) that is known to have very helpful staff ( may just be desk clerks),

Have you looked at Hotel Aubusson, its very well reviewed.
Sep 9th, 2012, 09:38 PM

Try this and take your pick.

http://www.venere.com/france/paris/ Sort by location, price, number of ***. Look at the reviews.

If you find something that doesn't shock you, I'd be very surprised.
Sep 10th, 2012, 03:52 AM

In the past 18 months, I've stayed at the Clément and Dauphine. both in the 6th in great locations, imo.

Both had excellent English-speaking front desk staff, helpful with reservations, taxis, etc. Very important when I was at the Dauphine as I had thrown my back out.

Both have twin-bedded rooms. At the Clément we had a large room with a double and single bed for around 160€. Breakfast not included but one of the best I've had. Immaculate room, pretty public space.

Of the two I prefer the Clément but I think either would suit you. I frankly can't imagine staying outside Paris to stay in an "American style" hotel, particularly with so little time.

BTW, you can make reservations on your own for many of the major or name restaurants via email, the restaurants' websites or La Fourchette, almost always in English.
Sep 10th, 2012, 05:01 AM

I have never come across a Paris hotel with non english speaking staff and all have been willing to give the services you jention/ In the Marais try La Pavillon de la Reine on the place de Vosges. Or Relais Christine or the Madison in the 6th .
Sep 10th, 2012, 05:59 AM

I am not sure you are going to get the de la Reine or the Christine for that budget but you can always hope
Sep 10th, 2012, 06:08 AM

WIth a budget as high as yours, you do not want to stay outside of Paris when there are lovely "French-style" hotels in the city that can meet all of your needs. We stay at the Hotel des Saints-Peres which is very conveniently located in the 6th, near transportation and walking distance from many of the sights you will want to visit while there. The staff speaks excellent English, is extremely helpful, readily performs all of the assistance you require and is charming. The hotel is charming and within your budget.

By all means, don't go to Paris and stay in an "American-style" hotel. You are in Paris!! Don't know where you have heard all of your horror stories but they are simply not true. Hurry and book - October is a busy time.
Sep 10th, 2012, 06:38 AM

You are not going to find any hotel deals in high season and September and October are indeed high season for hotels in Paris. Additionally, any savings you may find on a room outside of Paris, if you find any at all, will be lost to increased transportation costs, not to mention time lost in shuttling back and forth.

At this late date you may obtain the best results using a booking site such as Venere, already mentioned, or www.parisby.com With a budget of 300€+ you should be able to find suitable accommodations but look at all 20 of Paris´ arrondissements.

If you really want a deal, next time plan to say in Paris in August, that´s when the deals are available.
Sep 10th, 2012, 08:38 AM

Try the Victoria Palace, great location, reasonably priced too
Sep 10th, 2012, 09:20 AM

www.accorhotels.com - has many American-style hotels scattered around the fringes of Paris where for about $100 a night you'll get a clean room with modern facilities and staffs that usually speak English and are helpful. Some are right near Metro lines, making easy access into Paris proper.
Sep 10th, 2012, 09:27 AM

Why do you need to rely on the hotel for tour and restaurant bookings? With cell phones, tablets and laptop computers it's easy enough to do yourself!
Sep 10th, 2012, 09:44 AM

<< I have heard many a horror story of charming quaint Parisian boutique hotels without english speaking staff, or the availablity of twin beds, or rooms that while confirmed NON smoking have clearly been smoked in.>>

Well, then, you've heard a lot of nonsense. And why do you need personal assistance at every step of the trip? You're not going to Bhutan; it's Paris, a huge international city. With your budget, you should be able to find all kinds of suitable places right in the city, though you have left it to the last minute and it does sound as if you'd be a difficult client.
Sep 10th, 2012, 09:49 AM

I don't understand this at all, that is a very generous budget, why would one go out and stay in the burbs. Not to mention there were lots of suggestions months ago.

There are Parisian hotels without English speaking staff at the lower end, and of course those hotels may not be doing all kinds of booking and reservations for you, but if you book a 4* hotel you should have no trouble with that.

There are lots of big business hotels at La Defense, you can look there for what you want, it is a fairly convenient location right on the metro line just outside the city.

And while you could find a cheap room, with your budget and desires, no way in the world would I recommend you stay in some cheap hotel for $100 a night. I wouldn't even do that and I'm not that picky, that is really cheap (about 75 euro).

Look, just go to www.esprit-de-france.com, they have about 5-6 lovely 3-4* hotels with availabilities during your dates. The Hotel d'Orsay has deluxe twin rooms for 252 euro, for example.

Any 4* hotel is going to be able to make your reservation and have tour info. It is a requirement to have English speaking staff at the 3* hotel level.
Sep 10th, 2012, 09:55 AM

If you need business service - then probably a quaint 3* Paris hotel will not work for you. You will need to go with one of the international chains (that you won;t find in the outskrts) and pay more.

If all you want is an English speaking person at the front desk who can make restaurant and tour reservations - many of the 3* french style hotels have that and will be well within your budget.
Sep 10th, 2012, 10:08 AM

Another recommendation for Hotel Clement. Granted it's typical Paris, tiny elevator, rooms could use some updating, but its very clean and you can't beat the location. It's across the street from a small shopping mall and down the street from a wonderful boulangerie for breakfast and lunch. Tons of restaurants in the area and close to several good Metro stops.

I can vouch for the staff helpfulness, as we stayed there over a Xmas and they were useful in finding open restaurants on Xmas Day and Xmas Eve.
Sep 10th, 2012, 11:44 AM

The Trianon Palace in Versailles (Waldorf Astoria) has a 269 EUR rate for a Classic King room. If you book this through a Virtuoso travel consultant, you'll also get (for the same price) buffet breakfast for two daily, 2 complimentary entrances to Versailles, one 25 EUR food and beverage credit, and an upgrade on arrival if available.

http://tinyurl.com/9qnadeq
Sep 11th, 2012, 11:16 AM

the OP doesn't want a King room, she is traveling with her daughter, I believe and needs twins. That is why she said she wanted twins.

Search this Thread