dingle or cliffs of moher

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2005, 11:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi all, we will be in ireland in early sept. i'm planning the trip for my hubby, sister & mom (her 75th bday present & her family's ancestral homeland). we have limited time to visit & i must choose between the dingle penisula & the cliffs of moher. we are seeing killarney national park & doing the ring of kerry. it's here that we must choose, i have read up on some of the posts & know that dingle is, of course, closer & would be the easiest but if we are doing the ring (some say see dingle instead of kerry but everyone wants to see kerry so i'm not fighting that), they all want to see everything & i'm the one who is arranging & in charge (a frightening thought @ that) & i know we just cannot do it all in one trip.

to throw another wrench in, i've also read here that the beara penisula is amazing as well, should we chuck dingle & cliffs & do beara instead of dingle or cliffs?

SO, let me have it, what should we do (ok you comedians i've opened myself up!). thanks so much, i've had a ball reading through all the great info & appreciate in advance your knowledge. taylor
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 03:04 AM

Here is my two cents worth. The Cliffs are nice but the whole tour only takes about an hour and then you will a good distance from the the other areas you mention. Dingle is an easy two hour drive from Shannon ( I assume Shannon). There is lot to do in Town on the first day if you are not too tired. The next day a lovely drive around the peninsula with a detour over the Connor Pass. A short drive from there to Killarney and the Nat. Park. The gap of Dunloe is also fun. I think the Rok is way overrated but others love it so your call. The Beara Peninsula is nice but in my opinion the Sheepshead and the Beara have the best scenery. If you do the Beara do not skip Healy Pass its the best part. Have fun
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 04:17 AM

ditto
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 07:13 AM

Agree what the Cliffs, while just astounding, aren't a time consuming place. You see, you admire, and unless you begin a hike nearby, you move along. There are interesting places nearby of course, such as the Burren and Clare towns.

But if I could see only one, I'd pick Dingle over the Cliffs. More to see, more to do.

Now on the Beara question - well, yes as John said the Healey Pass is a must. Parked right at the top is probably the single most beautiful spot I've ever stood in Ireland. Barren and rocky looking south, lush, watery and green as far as the eye can see looking south. Beara is still pretty wild.

But I think Dingle might have more infrastructure to offer the first time visitor who may expect those things. Also it has plenty of scenery, prehistoric sites that are walkable, etc. Beara is more for those who'd like to find the non-tourist, everyday side of Ireland.

Old Aug 7th, 2005, 09:48 AM

Easy choice. Dingle without a doubt.

Larry J
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

thanks to you all for responding! i really appreciate it. can't wait to go!

taylor
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 06:36 PM

thayes, the cliffs don't take much time. Find a comfortable guesthouse in Dingle and enjoy that beautiful place. The ring is pretty also.
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 07:43 AM

The Cliffs of Moher...I've been there 3 times, 'cause others wanted to see it. I don't get it at all, they're nothing special. Now you have to pay 4 Euro to park!! At least the 'Travellers' children aren't there begging for money anymore! Now they have vendors lining the path in, hawking their wares! Some of the handmade stuff is quite good.

There are many, more spectacular cliffs around Ireland than the Cliffs of Moher.

Just back from Ireland 8/17; did Gap of Dunloe in Killarney Nat'l Park but skipped the rest of the Ring of Kerry upon local advice. It was a good call.

Everyone there suggested Dingle over Ring of Kerry. My suggestion is do Dingle, then take the Gap of Dunloe Tour (book in Killarney), which is on the Ring of Kerry.

Leave Beara for another time.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 11:18 AM

No question...Dingle.
My sister and I got back from our trip at the end of July and I must tell you that we loved the cliffs on the way to Loop Head much more than the Cliffs of Moher. We had a great time on Dingle...even though it was too foggy both days we were there that we didn't get to see the Sleeping Giant. Next time, we're staying for more than a few days!