Search

Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 1999, 09:34 AM
Valeria

Dilemma

I´m thinking of going to Ireland for 2 weeks in November, but after reading all the comments posted here, I´m getting a little scared...because of the weather and also because I´m not going to rent a car. Will I be able to travel around? I will be alone. <BR>Any comments will surely help me. Thanks!

Old Oct 5th, 1999, 10:03 AM
poland

Fear not! Your timing could certainly be better in terms of weather, but at no time of year does one go to Ireland for sultry tropical breezes and sun 24/7. I found Ireland to be quite easy to navigate without a car. There are plenty of buses and trains to all the major destinations, and hitchhiking is a viable option. I'm a total wuss and have never hitched anywhere else, but did it several times in the Republic and found it a great way to meet locals and a source for some funny stories. Granted, I was with two friends, but we were all girls and we ran into people all the time at hostels who were doing it alone. And as I said before, if you really feel uncomfortable hitching, public transportation will get you (almost) anywhere you need to go.

Old Oct 5th, 1999, 10:26 AM
Rose

You didn't mention your age, but if you're younger there is also a "hop-on hop-off" bus that scoots around Britain & Scotland, and I'm pretty sure they do Ireland as well. Check with your local hostel, or university travel agency. It'd be a great way to get around and meet people at the same time..the bus stops at the end of the day at the local hostel..food for thought, anyways! Have a great trip, I'm sure you'll love Ireland.

Old Oct 5th, 1999, 10:33 AM
suzann

Valeria, <BR>I found driving in Ireland to be a snap, and I was alone. Although the tiny lanes did seem a bit scary at first, the other drivers were extraordinarily kind and patient. There was no hurry, no stress, no fear. They really give you the time you need to get oriented and to get on your way. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip! <BR> <BR>Suzann

Old Oct 5th, 1999, 05:01 PM
Maggie

First---go!!! We just came back from two weeks in Ireland and had a wonderful time. As others have said, you're not going for the weather. The people, the scenery, the music--great. <BR> <BR>I think you should drive, because if you're even thinking of it, it tells me it's the right thing for you. Having said that, since you won't have a navigator make sure you map your route out in advance. Things are very well signed. Also, don't be afraid to stop and take another look at your map. Sometimes we felt a little "tailgated" but when we signaled to pull over ther was no problem. <BR> <BR>Try to stay in towns--this will give you more available pubs and restaurants ---I don't think you want to try much night driving --street lights are not exactly common!! Also, the Irish are very friendly but you may have to open the conversation--they don't want to intrude---if you say something, though, you will get an immediate and friendly response. Have a wonderful time.

Old Oct 5th, 1999, 07:18 PM
Fiona

Hello Valeria, <BR> <BR>As soon as you get to Ireland, I presume by plane, go to the 'customer service desk' and ask for the Bus Eireann timetable book. You may have to pay for it but it will be invaluable. Bus Eireann is our national Bus service and it is a very regular service ( e.g. buses to Galway every hour). Their main terminal is in the center of Dublin and is called Busaras. You can get a bus from the airport directly to the terminal. <BR> <BR>As for the weather, it will change a lot . Expect rain ( not torrential!!), sun and windy days. But don't let the weather hinder you, I never do...just enjoy Ireland!! <BR> <BR>