Different name on Passport and Driver's license

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! I got married less than a year ago and I took my husband's lastname. I made the changes to my driver's license but not to my passport. I already bought unrefundable plane tickets to Italy (stop over at England)using the name on my passport, and I just heard that all the airports will be asking for my driver's license as well as my passport. Will it give me problem when they see two different last names? Do you think I should bring a copy of my marriag certificate and that will be good enough? I'm leaving in a month and I'm having a little panic attack. What should I do?
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 09:39 AM

I would contact your local passport office to see if you can put a rush on changing your name on that document. Otherwise, yes, bring your original marriage certificate with you as a back up.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 09:44 AM
P_M

If you've already bought the ticket in your maiden name, I don't see what good it will do to rush a passport in your married name since you probably cannot change the name on the ticket anyway.

I have never heard of this, nor have I experienced it. I travel to Europe about twice a year, and I have never been asked for a driver's license at the airport, they ONLY wanted my passport. In fact, I have used only my passport on domestic trips and that is perfectly acceptable also. Unless this rule has been made since January, when I last went to Europe, I don't think this is accurate information. Can you tell us please where you heard it?

I see no harm in bringing a copy of your marriage certificate if it will put your mind at ease, but I don't think you will need it.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 09:47 AM

If your passport and plane tickets match, there should be no problem. The only reason to show a driver's license is to rent a car. If you don't intend on renting a car (or your husband can drive) there should be no problem.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 09:52 AM

I never bring my driver's license when I travel abroard (unless I'm planning to drive). To me it's just one more thing I might lose and have to replace. I've never had anyone at airport security question the use of a passport as a form of ID. Where did you hear that? I don't see how they could require you to show your DL in addition to your passport.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 09:59 AM

As mentioned, they will only compare the passport to the ticket. If you don't show your driver's license (and the ticket agent won't ask), you won't have a problem.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 10:00 AM

Hi, you airfare has to show the same name as your passport does. No need for driver's license.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 10:03 AM

Hi,
Forget the DL. There are a lot of people who travel who do not have a driver's license, therefore they can not require one.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 10:04 AM

Here is what i got from an airline:

"For an international flight, you will need to present "a" valid passport, visa, or any other required documentation. Passengers without proper ID may be denied boarding."
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you guys! I heard that information from a friend of my who went to Switzerland about two months ago. She told me that she was asked to see her license from both airports(from US and Switzerland). So I?m a little confuse but I guess I won?t worry about it too much. But if I were to confirm this information, who would I ask? Should I call the ticketing agency?
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 10:14 AM

Yes, you will need to call the ticketing agency and/or the airline you are flying with.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 10:16 AM

It wouldn't hurt to call, but I would just avoid taking my driver's license at all, unless you plan to drive. That way you can't show it. As mentioned, many Europeans do not have one at all.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 10:36 AM

You will need to show your passport not a D.L.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 11:39 AM
P_M

Jamjam, in 2002 I flew into and out of Zurich and was not asked for a DL. On August 11 I am going to Geneva, so when I return I will post back and let you know if this is true about travel to Switzerland. There may be some reason they required additional information from your friend, but I don't know what that reason might be.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 11:46 AM

In the bizzarely unlikely event of your being asked to show a driving licence - though why is beyond me - nimply say you haven't got it.

Whatever you do, never show inconsistent forms of identification
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 11:56 AM

I travel internationally all the time. No one ever asks for my driver's license. In fact, my passport is in my maiden name, and my married name is added as an amendment on the last page - only about half the people even notice. FYI, your ticket must be issued in the same name as your passport, just as you've done.

I traveled to Belgium last week, and no one asked for that documentation, and it doesn't make sense to me that they would need two pieces of identification. Did you hear this from a reliable source? If so, let us know, and carry a copy of your marriage certificate with you.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 12:10 PM

I have a similar situation. I got married recently. However, before I got married, I purchased a plane ticket in my maiden name. My passport is still in my maiden name but my driver's license is in my new married name.

I called the airline, and they said that I should just bring a certified copy of my marriage license with me to the airport, just in case. You may want to call your airline just to make sure you have everything they need when you get to the airport.

Many people have mentioned that you should be ok with just your passport. That's probably true, but why take the chance? I'd bring a copy of your marriage license with you just in case. It's only one extra sheet of paper, so it's not like it's that big of a hassle.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 12:20 PM

If you've booked your tickets in the same name as your passport, what is the problem? If you couldn't drive you wouldn't have a driver's license - you only need a passport to travel - what's the hold up?
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 12:21 PM

I was asked for a Driver's License when I left England in June. It was due to the ticket not showing the 3rd after my name like my passport. They then wanted something else that showed me as the 3rd. So you never know what you may be asked.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 12:28 PM

If you have a straightforward name there should be no problems whatsoever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -