dietary restriction in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2004, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are travelling to the Big 3 in Spring 2005, and have a specific dietary question. He is on a medical diet which prohibits intake of starch, dairy and sugar. He can have any kind of fresh meats, seafoods, vegetables and fruits. We just came back from Bangkok and Hong Kong, and we had no problems there as long as they didn't put sauce on his food. Will he be ok with the foods in Italy? I realize that he will probably miss out on a lot of good food as a result, but I'll just have to enjoy it for him!
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 09:51 PM

Mitmap, I think he will be ok. While Americans tend to think of "Italian" food as pasta and pizza, there is much more variety than that. Many restaurants will have a "secondi piatti" or second course offering of meat or chicken or fish. You should learn how to say a few critical phrases like "no sauce please" in Italian.

The second course is often JUST a piece of grilled meat. In other words, you have to order your vegetables as a side dish. Look for "contorni" on the menu. He should have no problem getting vegetables and salads, or buying fruit in the shops.

Hopefully some of our food experts will add their opinions to this thread.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 11:00 PM

Italian food is usually very plain; ie if it says grilled fish on the menu you will get grilled fish and nothing else. They don't normally cover meat and fish with sauces, unless explicitly stated. Vegetables can be ordered on the side. I think he will have no problems eating well in Italy despite the restrictions.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 05:22 AM

You won't have any problem finding vegetables and protein main courses.
What I'm sad to hear is that your husband won't be having any gelato!
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 05:28 AM

As a newly diagnosed diabetic, I'm having some problems sticking to my diet in Italy, but it could be easier than you think. Vegetables and salads are really good and plentiful. I'm totally addicted to rughetto (arugula or rocket)served with tomatoes or shrimp or many other things. And grilled fish and meats are wonderful and fortunately don't usually come with potatoes on the side. But when I told the waiter last night no dessert as I'm diabetic, he brought me a complimentary limoncello instead. What's wrong with this picture?
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 09:11 AM

Oh Patrick, that is so sweet, all puns intended!

Elaine, I was thinking what torture it would be for me to be in Italy and not eat gelato or pasta.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

thank you so much for all your information and assurances, this is great to know. Certainly wouldn't want him to get sick in the middle of our trip because of the foods. I plan to have his food restrictions written out in Italian to bring with us, just to be sure. I can't wait for that gelato (for me)!!
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Hi,I took a break from planning, and now I'm taking it up again. Still planning on going in May 2005, and had started learning Italian from CDs. Any more input/advice on this topic? Visiting a new country brings a lot of anxiety because of this health issue. Also, does anyone know the Italian for "no starch, no dairy and no sugar in my food please" so I can print it on a card and bring with us? We did that when we visited Thailand and it worked very well. Thanks again for everyone's help.
Old Nov 20th, 2004, 12:37 PM

Ho una malattia molto specifica. Non posso assolutamente mangiare i cibi carboidrati, i prodotti latticini, o lo zucchero.

Posso mangiare la carne fresca, la frutta e verdura, ed i frutti di mare.

Cosa potete suggerirmi?

Translation: I have a very specifiy malady. I absolutely cannot eat carbohydrates, dairy products or suger. I am able to eat fresh meat, fruits and vegetables, and seafood. What do you suggest?

Casale-Inexpensive Abruzzo Villa Rental
http://www.angelfire.com/film/casale
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Stefanaccio! The message is very specific and I'm sure should leave no room for error. I really appreciate it.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 01:01 PM

Traveling with dietary restrictions presents a challenge, but certainly one worth dealing with. My husband was diagnosed 2 years ago with celiac disease, which means he can't have any food with wheat, barley, rye, or oats. That means no bread, pasta, etc. His diet is not as restrictive as your husband's, since dairy, sugar, rice, potatoes and corn are ok for him, but he still stuck to plain meats, veggies, and fruit for dessert. He was afraid it would be tough to go to France without enjoying bread and pastry, but there were so many food choices, he didn't have a problem. We found servers/chefs to be extremely helpful, and it definitely helps to have the list of restrictions and permitted food in the local language. I typed the food restriction list on a wallet-sized card and laminated it, which made it easy to carry in a wallet.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Barb_in_Ga, it's reassurming to hear that your husband was able to "survive" France. I really thought we would have to strike France off our must-go list. I guess we all have this picture in our heads of what people eat in other countries, and until you visit there, you don't realize that they don't actually eat like that all the time! Before we travelled to Thailand in the spring, we thought there would only be curry and saucy Asian dishes, but found many fresh veggies and seafood that my husband could eat. So I'm thinking that Italy should be the same. Still, it's a little nerve-wrecking when you're planning a holiday.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 02:28 PM

Mitmap, you now have the proper Italian translation to type out (and laminated it is a great idea).

Now, I want to tell you something. I have never, and I mean never, in my life known so many people that can NOT eat this, that, or the other thing than in Italy. Seriously. Italians do have a lot of "stomach" problems and allergies etc. I have never sat at a table with Italians without a list of who cannot eat what.

One allergic to fish and seafood, another cannot eat any vegtable, another no seeds of any kind (there goes the zucchini!) another nothing spicy, another no garlic, another, oh yes, no fat at all on the meat. LOL.

And I cannot eat any dairy product (there goes the gelato and cheese of sigh) or anything with corn. Cornmeal (no polenta), no corn syrup etc.

First time I went to Italy I cannot tell you how worried I was. What a hoot! Almost felt like if I could have eaten everything I would have been considered a show off.

Do not worry, with the good translation that Stefanaccio provided to you all will be fine. Honest.

BTW, I have sure had some fantastic omelettes in Italy filled with seafood. Sounds like he can eat this. And the seafood is so good. And the meat, the vegetable and fruits are so wonderful. Have a fantastic trip.
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much LoveItaly, for the reassurance. You have no idea how relieved I am! I can't wait to go. It's funny you mention all the allergies the Italians seem to have. My husband is half Italian, maybe it's a gene pool thing, haha?!
Old Nov 25th, 2004, 01:46 PM

Hello, Mitmap: I want to "second" all that LoveItaly and others have said. I can't eat wheat, sugar or dairy either. I translated this statement, (much as Stefanaccio has done) laminated it and carried it with me for 3 weeks in Italy in September and I got along just fine (even though watching my husband eat gelato made my mouth water!!) I found that most restaurants seemed eager to accomodate my needs.