Destination Dilemma

Search

Destination Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Destination Dilemma

My DH & I are turning the BIG 3-0 next year! DH's birthday is May 31 and mine is October 4. We love traveling so we want to be on a trip for each of our bdays. DH chose Kauai and I would love to go to Italy. We knew going into choosing that both trips are big ones and will take a lot of money. Now looking into the price breakdown of both trips we see it may too difficult to have the money for two such big trips.

Here is the background and dilemma that I would like Fodorites advice/suggestions:
We went to Kauai in May 2007 and ABSOLUTELY LOVE the island. Next May will mark 4 YEARS since we have been to Kauai.
Our only trip, so far, to Europe was Paris in October 2008 so going to Italy next October will mark 3 YEARS since we have been to Europe.
We need to choose 1 BIG TRIP and for the other birthday a smaller trip but we don't know which one to give up. DH says to give up Kauai because we have never been to Italy but it is so hard to give up on Kauai. I think since we have been is what makes it harder to give up. For anyone that LOVES Kauai, what are you thinking we should do? Anyone that has been to Italy, what are you thinking we should do?

If we do not go to Kauai, DH & I have not thought of any alternatives for his bday. Any suggestions? We love Hawaii so another beach destination or we also love National Parks. We have been to Rocky Mtn NP, Olympic NP and Mt Rainier NP.
By not going to Kauai means we will plan for Italy so the trip would include: Cinque Terre, Florence & Tuscan hilltowns.
If we choose to go to Kauai and NOT Italy and alternative I am thinking is: start in Albuquerque for the International Hot Air Balloon Festival, maybe stop at Mesa Verde National Park then onto Utah for Arches and Zion NP.

*Disclaimer: Sometimes when I post I get replies saying to do what I want and not let others persuade me. Well, ultimately I will choose which trips to take or not to take. I just love to read other opinions, suggestions or votes from other people to give a different perspective or outside objection. Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 08:58 AM

I don't think you put in how many days we are talking about here?
I am a travel consultant and I personally love Italy- been there several times- My fav trip was when we rented a car, stayed in Cortona, did the the towns around (Siena/ montepulciano/ Montelchino/ Greve on Chianti etc etc). This was more of a countryside holiday, going to small towns, vineyards etc.
We also went to Florence (by train) and flew into Rome, did a few days there then took the car and drove up.

If you have the time and really want to do the beach, are you open to other options, like Fiji, Bora Bora, but time of the year is the key.

Between you and your hubby, who originally picked Kauai? Maybe the other person can pick the next holiday!

I love traveling to Europe- having lived there 8 years, I can never get enough.
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 09:05 AM

Also, your home base will determine suggestions, as from the east coast Hawaii is a long expensive flight, etc.
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

The plan was to go to Kauai for one week and Italy for 10 days.

It's not really about him picking one year and me picking the next. We both picked something for next year because of our 30th birthdays.

We wanted to go to Kauai & Italy but the breakdown of how much money each trip would be shows that it would be tough to pull of two big trips. We want to choose between the two big ones and whichever one we do NOT pick we need to pick a smaller place. The dilemma is: which trip do we "give up".
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Flying from Austin, TX.
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 09:23 AM

We faced the same question this year except our island is Maui. (We have been to Kauai as well but for some reason Maui clicks)
We have never been to Italy and we were forced to choose between the two. We chose Italy as we have never been there before and the exchange rate is actually looking better these days! That sealed the deal for us. The last time we went to Europe (Northern Ireland and London) the exchange rate was terrible. It really impacts a trip.
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 09:29 AM

I've been to both and they're not even comparable in my mind. If the beach appeals to you more, then Kauai; if its history, culture, food, wineries, pick Italy. I think Italy is the better choice. You could go to the Italian coast (Amalfi, Cinque Terre) and get your beach time in there. That being said, 10 days is not alot of time when you consider travel time; can you add more days?
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 09:41 AM

Just MHO, but don't let the idea of substitute "beach time" in Italy sway your decision. It's not comparable to Kauai, and if you go there thinking, "I can have the best of both," you'll probably be disappointed.

No one can really answer the question, I'd say. You have to ask yourself if you're going to be happy with something totally different from HI.
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 10:19 AM

I think both trips can be feasible if you research the right places to book your vacations...nothing is impossible if you set your mind to it

My HB and I went to Kauai this past June for our honeymoon. It has to be the most amazing place i've ever seen. However, we were able to afford our dream trip to Kauai because of Pleasant Holidays. I found them through the Kauai Revealed books (best Hawaiian guidebooks). I was a little skeptical but BBB gave them great grades too so i booked it. We booked a 7 nights stay in the Kauai Marriot including round-trip flight from SFO for two people and paid $1500. Then i booked a roundtrip flight from MIA to SFO and paid about $500 for HB and I so my total hotel/airfare came out to $2,000 which i found to be reasonable given that i was going in June. I think you should check them out- they offer great specials and have pretty good customer service.

For Italy, my HB and I booked a 10 day trip to Italy for next year (to celebrate our 1 year anniversary). We're going with our family too so we were able to split the costs, but i still think that you can make it happen. We booked a 7 night stay at Il Borro through Luxury Link and paid $1300 for an aparmtent for 4 people (comes out to about $650 for the both of us since we split it). With hotel and airfare (from MIA it averages $1,000 pp)- we're expecting our costs to run about $2000 pp since we're renting a car as well.

Im not sure what your budget is- but my HB and I are the same as you- we love to travel. And although we dont have much money- we are willing to sacrifice by cutting our day to day costs so that we can save for our dream trips. Memories last a lifetime to us

Good luck with your planning- let me know if you want my help!
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 12:32 PM

I do not think you can realistically compare these two options as they are apples and oranges.

It takes us as long to get to Hawaii as to Italy. For us, there is simply no comparison.

Once in Hawaii was enough for me (Maui and the Big Island) and we can go to Europe for the same money. Hawaii is outrageously expensive IMO and I would much rather spend my money on a trip to Europe.

We have not been to Kauai and really have no desire to visit, based on both our previous visit to the state as well as having to forego Europe. We can generally afford one big trip each year.

I can endure the long flights to Europe but would not again sit on planes for over ten hours to get to Hawaii.

In Italy we are able to experience a totally different culture and indulge in amazing history, wonderful food and fabulous wine. We get to practice our Italian, take our evening passagiata and experience art and architecture that is simply not possible anywhere in North America.

We plan a trip to Europe once a year and long weekend in the Caribbean for our tropical fix. There are islands in the Caribbean I personally prefer to Hawaii.

No contest for me.
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 01:07 PM

kfusto- its a shame you are so negative towards Hawaii..you obviously did not enjoy your time there. But Hawaii is more for the young/adventurous traveler who enjoys nature's beauty over culture. I do agree that you cannot compare Hawaii to Italy- however, i disagree that Hawaii is expensive. Yes- if you stay at the St.Regis- its going to be expensive...but there are ways to travel to Hawaii if you had a tight budget. I dont think she should completely omit Kauai if her heart is really set on it. If her heart is set on both Hawaii and Italy/ then just focus on cutting corners to make the budget work (like traveling in off-seasons).
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 01:11 PM

Had to laugh. Wondered where 'Dilemma' is located when I saw the thread title.
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 01:36 PM

L_Garabito makes a good point, provided you have 1) the vacation time and 2) find good airfare or use miles, you can possibly do both anyway. It depends if you want to stay in a resort on Kauai, or if there are rentals like on Oahu (which I have read are amazing deals). If you are hiking and enjoying the outdoors, you aren't spending money. Similarly, your hotel standards will determine most of your budget in Italy, as well as if you rent a car. I spent most of my budget on food, and was quite happy to spend less in other areas!
If you want a survey, I'd say go for something new.
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 01:43 PM

"you obviously did not enjoy your time there."

Hawaii was fine, just not what I expected and I was underwhelmed. After years of visiting the Caribbean, I expected to be wowed by Hawaii's beauty and it was indeed beautiful but IMO no more so than islands like St. Lucia and those in the BVI.

I agree that one can visit anywhere on a budget and I shop diligently for value for my dollar. For my hard earned money and time, Hawaii simply is not worth it.

I quite enjoy natural beauty and love the Caribbean for its beaches, stunning water, dramatic waterfalls and scenery and I prefer the cuisine of the Caribbean to that of Hawaii as well.

Different strokes....
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 03:23 PM

I was in Hawaii years ago, (when I was young) and loved it. Recently, we went to the Southern Carribean and enjoyed it very much though I am much older now, so did not do any diving or adventure things. I have been to Italy a dozen times. At any rate, my opinion is based on the experience of seeing all three, but is also very personal because I ejoy cultural experiences more than hiking, etc. Anyway, my advice:

Combine all of your time if possible and spend the whole time in Italy. There is so much to see and do in Italy, I won't even try to enumerate at this point, except to say: include the Amalfi Coast for great natural beauty. That is still barely 2 & 1/2 weeks for Italy, and I assure you, you will wish you had more time there. Either May or Otober would be fine.

If you absolutely must make it two trips because you can't take off the time all at once, and based on what you indicate that you like and the fact that it is a reasonable cost, this is what I would do.

April or early May (not any later because it will be too hot): Nab a cheap cruise to the Carribean from San Juan. I say this because you can fly to San Juan for only a bit more than to Florida, and if you begin the cruise in San Juan, you have more days actually visiting the islands rather than at sea, and there is less chance of hurricanes in Spring. You will have fabulous beaches. You can snorkle, scuba dive, etc. We did a seven day, Southern Carribean for $299 pp. Of course, we still had tips, excursions (which can be pricy) and airfare, but it was pretty reasonable overall. If the water activities appeal to you, this would be a great trip.

Then, in early October, go to Italy and follow your original plan for Florence, Tuscany and Cinque Terre. You have plenty of time to research for Italy.

I must repeat: I would go to Italy the whole time (or twice)!
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 03:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi louis,

as you've never been to Italy, how about Italy this year? - if you don't like it as much as hawaii, you can always go back there next year! you are both very young [yes really, you are] and have plenty of years of travel before you.
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 03:37 PM

I've been to both and you can't compare the two at all. Both are great. Nothing beats the beaches and snorkeling in Kauai. Loved staying on the North shore, different hikes and different beaches each day. Hanalei was very chill. So worth it in Kauai to splurge on the snorkeling boat tour around napali. As stated if you're looking for beaches Italy does not come close to Kauai. We were in the Cinque Terre, Amalfi Coast, and Capri. The Cinque terre was fabulous but not as rugged as hiking Kauai although hiking the Path of the Gods in Amalfi Coast was very breathtaking. Some liter on the Italian beaches, more rocky. Many more people. I went to Kauai in summer so less people at that time I guess. The cultural experience and food in Italy is the obvious plus. I love that Italy is more active late night with meals taking place well into the night while Kauai is pretty dead by 9pm. I think it might be worth checking out Lake Cuomo/Bellagio in Italy as well.
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 03:40 PM

If your DH picked Hawaii in the first place, and then says he can give it up ... I see no problem in picking Italy for a BIG trip celebrating both your big 3 -0s.... maybe extend the Italy trip to accomodate both your cities/destinations in Italy?

You cannot go wrong. Choose the "big three" (Rome/florence/Venice), choose small Tuscan towns, choose small northern lake towns, choose southern beach towns, ... your possibilities are endless.

Look into open jaw airline tickets (you fly into one place and fly out of another), the cost is pretty much the same and it saves you lots of backtacking. Unless you choose to stay in the same area, open jaw is the way to go.

My DH and I are currently in Tuscany. Rainy, cold, some sunny days, but would be much better in late September - early October! Don't misunderstand, even in the rain, we are enjoying this trip to no end.

Whatever you finally decide, HB to both of you
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 03:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been to Hawaii and Italy a number of times and would say to visit somewhere you haven't been, which is Italy. Kauai will always be there and you can get there easily if you live in America.

Travelling in Europe is more of a challenge, what with the language, culture, currency etc and sometimes I think the younger you are, the easier it is to handle.

The national parks around Utah would make a wonderful 'second' trip.

Kay
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 12:21 PM

I've been to Hawaii and to Italy multiple times, and in about 1 second I could decide to return to Italy.

Hawaii is beautiful and relaxing, but in my opinion, Italy has so many more varied options, and to such an extent -- art, architecture, history, scenery, food, music...-- that I never get tired of it. I would recommend Italy since you have already been to Kauai; it never hurts to try someplace new.

If you really want beaches, Europe and something new, try Greece.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -