Reload this Page >

Desperately Seeking Honeymoon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 09:48 AM
gina

My fiance and I are getting married next September, and are in the lucky position of having to choose where to go for a honeymoon. <BR> <BR>We are in our early 30's and our ideal is a week (or more) spent enjoying each other's company in a relatively quiet and intimate atmosphere. We are looking for a high level of accommodations/service and a selection of fine restaurants in the area. Also on my must-have list: sun! We don't want a place that requires extensive touring or sight-seeing. <BR> <BR>Since we are getting married in September, the Caribbean seems out due to hurricane season (we don't want to risk it). And some of our more exotic choices (Bali, Fiji, Thailand, etc.) are looking questionable due to the political climate right now and in the next year. <BR> <BR>We're surprised that Hawaii seems to be on our short list - we visited Maui and the Big Island for the first time last year and fell in love with Maui. We stayed at Kapalua Bay, which we loved, but are thinking about upgrading to the Four Seasons for the honeymoon if we went there. Also considering visiting one of the resorts on Lanai, or whether we could find a comparable place on Kuaui. <BR> <BR>We've also got a short list going for Europe - Capri, Tuscany, South of France... What do you think about any/all of these? <BR> <BR>Can you suggest other places we should be considering? Perhaps we should not be so hasty to rule out the places I mentioned? We would appreciate all suggestions!

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 10:15 AM
Chrissy

Gina - First, congratulations! We just got back from vacationing in Positano and it was one of the most romantic places we had ever been. It's fairly small so you won't feel that you have to see a lot of things each day, but can visit other towns if you want or go to Capri for the day. We rented a motorboat for a few hours which was so much fun - the highlight of our trip. As I said we just returned and were able to swim, so you should have good weather going even earlier (though we did hear it was unusually warm). The beach is small and rocky, but I think that's standard. It's not uncomfortable to lay on - only to walk on so bring flip flops. <BR> <BR>Our hotel was great - the L'Ancora. We just returned so I haven't had a chance to rate it yet but I would highly recommend it. The staff was great and the rooms all overlooked the water with private balconies. We paid about $165 a night. If you want more upscale, the Sirenuse is right next door. We went there for cappucino and it was magnificent - pool, candle lit restaurant. <BR> <BR>I'm sure no matter what you choose you'll have fun, but it is the most romantic place I've been to.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 10:42 AM
lili

no matter where in italy you decide on, save three days for venice, it's is sooooo romantic, you won't notice anybody but each other )

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 07:59 PM
steve robertson

I know it's a long flight, but.....<BR>Australia is just heading into springtime in September and the Barrier Reef and Queensland in general are nice and warm without the brutal summer heat of January. Here's an idea. Choose one of the resort islands like Hayman for a few days of lazing on the beach and snorkelling. They are most luxurious and friendly. Then go down to Brisbane, rent a car and spend a few days in the hill country above the Sunshine/Gold Coasts. It's full of small villages, great shopping, rainforests and lovely scenery. <BR><BR>We are about as quiet and stable a place as you'd want these tense days.<BR><BR>A very quiet but gorgeous romantic alternative is Lord Howe Island, one of the most scenic and dramatic on earth. They only allow around 400 people on it at any one time and the resorts are all small but friendly. Great dining there, too. Don't forget, your US$ buys almost 2A$, so Australian is a bargain right now. E-mail me if you want some more info about these or other Aussie spots like Western Australia or the Red Center, both perfect in September.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 08:12 PM
get

Gina ,<BR>You've been geting married in sept for about 2 years now, maybe it's time for the divorce!

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 11:08 PM
f

if you?re more into a quiet place, with plenty of time rest, with lots of sun and almost a private beach, with top class hotels, and with all the privacy, you can imagine, then the Maldives is the place. I spent my honeymoon there, and it was very good.

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 02:28 AM
Rhonda

Reading through this I thought, "How about Australia?" but Steve beat me to it. I thoroughly endorse his ideas.<BR><BR>Perhaps look at the Australia forum for some luxury Qld resort ideas and web sites to visit.<BR><BR>I'd also consider sailing the Whitsundays for part of your stay. Very romantic, just the 2 of you. Most bare boat charters are based at Airlie Beach.<BR><BR>El Questro in W.A. and Cable Beach again in W.A. are 2 more considerations.<BR><BR>Good luck. Enjoy your planning!<BR><BR>September is the perfect time of year.

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 06:18 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Hello Gina, Hhhmmm ! Let me see.<BR>Honeymoon, Sept., romantic, sun. Those criteria suggest 4 places to me:<BR>1. Santorini--hard to beat<BR>2. Amalfi coast/Capri<BR>3. Taormina,Sicily<BR>4. Cote d' Azur [french riviera]<BR>Holler if you need help.

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 06:51 AM
Ally

I 'second' the idea of sailing the Whitsunday Islands. My husband and I did that as part of our honeymoon (along with Hawaii, Fiji and Bali) and it was the best. VERY romantic, beautiful and peaceful, but the host make it fun as well. Look at<BR>www.luxuryyacht.com.au/holidays/holidays.htm

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 10:04 AM
Kathy

Our two favorite romantic, luxurious places: Villa d'Este in Cernobbio, on Lake Como, Italy, and the Princeville Resort on the north shore of Kauai. In September the Italian lakes are still warm, and the area is incredibly beautiful. Take a slow boat to Bellagio and/or Varenna and stroll the streets, if you can pull yourself away from the Villa d'Este, which had the highest level of service we've experienced anywhere. (They upgraded us, without our asking, to a suite with a view of the lake.) On the other hand, we'd vote for Kauai among all the Hawaiian islands. Princeville Resort is in a gorgeous location, with a view of the spot that doubled as Bali Hai in South Pacific. And a boat or helicopter tour of the Na Pali coast is unforgettable.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 09:06 PM
Brian

Gina, Hawaii is beautiful as you know from your trip, but I have to save Italy is amazing! My wife and I have made 3 trips there in the last 5 years. We just came back from a stay on Capri and Positano on the Amalfi coast to celebrate our 15th. Capri is wonderful. Stay at Hotel Mamela. We had an incredible experience in Positano at Hotel Villa Franca. The food, wine, seaside beauty, mountains crashing into the waters. Truly romantic.