Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Desparately need help planning Italy trip

Apr 18th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

My husband and I are going on a cruise May 29-June8 and then will be staying in Italy June 8-17 and I have no idea where to go. The cruise will take us to Florence, Naples, Rome, and Sicily. Originally I was thinking to do 3-4 days on the Amalfi Coast, 3 days Italian Riviera), 2-3 days Tuscany. But now am wondering if this trip I should just concentrate on 1 area only (ie north or south italy).
If we decide to just stay north, I was thinking Riviera, Tuscany and maybe Lakes region.
If we decide to stay south, definitely Amalfi region but maybe also Sicily.
Too much info out there - it is overwhelming.
We really want a beautiful, relaxing vacation with beautiful beaches and scenery and nice walks and romance. We don't need to do too much "touristy" sight seeing things on the itinerary.
Any help planning this itinerary would be greatly appreciated.
Would also love suggestions for nicer hotels and also the best way to get around.
Thanks.
Apr 18th, 2008, 05:41 PM

Hi jz,

I'm not a cruising person, but I would assume your cruise allows you 1 partial day in each location you mentioned. So, you are going to get a tiny taste of each city, or highlight sight (Pompeii) for each port. Then, you will know how much there is to see and do and probably return multiple times like most of us do!

It would help if you say where your cruise ends - that would be a big factor.

Italy isn't known for it's beaches, but there are lots of beautiful coastlines and picturesque cliff side towns.

When I read your preferences, my first thought was - just go to Sardinia for the week. It's high on my list for trip #4, #5 or #6!

The lakes would be a great choice too.

Buon viaggio!
Apr 18th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Dale,
I forgot but you're right - it might help to know that the cruise ends in Rome. I had thought about Sardinia - know of anywhere good to stay there? If I did a few days there, do you think I could also sneak in the riviera or tuscany or is that trying to do too much?
Apr 18th, 2008, 06:28 PM

Fly to Olbia from Rome on Meridiana airlines, then head south to Orosei. The first week in June is the perfect time of year for this trip - just before the height of the tourist season, so the weather is nice but the crowds are at a minimum.

From Olbia, fly into Tuscany or catch the ferry to the Cinque Terre - depending on time...
Apr 18th, 2008, 08:08 PM

The cruise ports for Rome and Florence are over an hour away from the cities. I doubt you will see much of Rome in such a short day trip. Will you be flying in and out of Rome?
Apr 18th, 2008, 08:28 PM

Varenna on Lake Como for a base would be nice and you could go to Bellagio across the lake and other little towns on the ferry, and
take train to some other places if
you need more to do. You can definitely do some relaxing in Varenna and enjoy the beautiful lake and scenery.
The airport you fly out of might help you determine the area you need to go. I don't think you can find a wrong place in Italy.
Apr 19th, 2008, 02:47 AM
ira

Hi J,

>We really want a beautiful, relaxing vacation with beautiful beaches and scenery and nice walks and romance.

The more moving about you do, the less relaxation.

I suggest that you spend the nights of the 8th & 9th in Rome, since you will have seen very little of it on your cruise.

The take the train from Rome to Salerno and the ferry to Amalfi or Positano.

The ferry docks are 3 blks from the train station.

Spend the 10th through the 15th on the Amalfi Coast. (I recommend www.lesirene.com in Praiano).

Return to Rome via Salerno on the 16th for your flight out on the 17th.

If you stay in the same hotel before and after the AC, they will most likely keep your luggage for you, so that you won't have to schlep your cruisewear.

Enjoy your visit.

Apr 19th, 2008, 05:44 AM

Ira has a good plan. IF Rome is your gateway I would stay south this trip.
Apr 19th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all your advice. please keep them coming - i would like to book everything by the end of the weekend. I should mention that we will spend a day in Rome the day before the cruise (it leaves from Rome) and as of right now, we will be flying out of Rome as our departure city, although I suppose I could change that for the right itinerary.
Apr 19th, 2008, 12:28 PM

Definitely go to the Amalfi Coast OR Sardinia, then 3 nights in Rome to see more of it.
Apr 19th, 2008, 12:44 PM
ira

Hi J,

>we will spend a day in Rome the day before the cruise (it leaves from Rome) and as of right now, we will be flying out of Rome as our departure city, although I suppose I could change that for the right.

1 day in Rome is certainly not enough.

You could leave from Naples after visiting the AC.