Describe your first-time traveler mistakes

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What were some of your big rookie mistakes on your first European trip? What were some of your surprisingly wise decisions?

My first trip was a 4-week trek in 1992. I made three major rookie mistakes. First, I overpacked. I brought a big old fashioned regular suitcase, a shoulder bag, and a hang-up bag. Two days into my trip I knew I had screwed up. My second big mistake was not realizing I could ship all this excess junk home and be done with it. My third mistake -- and this is a big one -- is I didn't bring a guidebook. Ug, to think of the things I missed!

About the only surprisingly wise thing I did on my first trip was fly open-jaws. I flew into London and out of Munich.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 11:01 AM

Does it have to be only on the first European trip? I still make mistakes, including that I still overpack.

First trip to Paris, we booked an air/hotel package, didn't investigate the hotel much
and it cost too much.
It turned out to be a soulless business-style or tour group style hotel, with modern white plastic furniture, in an inconvenient location in the southern 14th.
It wasn't a disaster, but it certainly didn't enhance the trip. Taught me to investigate hotel locations on my own and to not trust travel agents, (that was pre-internet access.)
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 11:03 AM
hdm

I was 21 and on my way to Spain with 3 girlfriends and I didn't bring an emergency change of clothes on the plane with me. So when someone spilled their tomato juice all over me, I just had to live with it. I cleaned it up as well as I could but basically I had to finish the flight, do the cab ride, and check into my first European hotel with a big red stain down my front. And I so badly wanted to look like a sophisticated European traveler! Now I always bring at least a sweater or jacket that can cover up any disasters that may occur.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 11:14 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I was lucky because my first trip to Europe was to stay with a friend who lives in Switzerland. So I didn't have to plan much or figure out the logistics most people do the 1st time around.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 11:14 AM

First trip to Venice, Italy. DH and I were so thrilled with being on the Grand Canal just outside the train station that we stood on the vaporetto landing waiting for it to begin moving. Apparently, all my research of the vaporettos beforehand was deemed useless once the magic of Venezia hit me.

Luckily it wasn't long before the actual vaporetto showed up and we realzed our error.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 11:25 AM

On my first trip to Europe, Spain 2001, I took traveler's checks and have never since. What a waste of time when the ATM is so much more convenient!

And I tried the Rick Steves thing of using a backpack. I ended up purchasing another bag and a folding luggage cart as my back pained carrying that thing around like a pack mule.
The best thing I think I did was take a journal and write daily. I love reading it and reliving the trip. I do this with every big trip now but rarely write in a journal while at home.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 11:28 AM
hdm

Statia reminded me that on our first trip to Venice (just this year) on our first day there it started to rain hard. We thought we'd take the vaporetto back to our hotel but got on going the wrong way and had to go the full length of the Grand Canal and back. Still, it turned out to be a long, romantic ride on a rainy Venetian evening so how could we complain?
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 11:30 AM

My big mistake was to trust a travel agent with reservations - I didn't have a computer yet. She only made plane (good!) and hotel (so-so) reservations, so the trip was not bad.

My wise decisions always are: just get up and go somewhere you haven't been before

We have made several big mistakes, and we still make mistakes, but live and learn, right?

Our first trip to Europe was a trip to London. We decided to rent a car and drive it around the countryside one day (checking out stonehenge, Cardiff, etc.), drive it back to our hotel in London, and drive in the direction of Leeds Castle the next day. Well, the biggest mistake was driving in London, of course. It was a horrible mess of a situation, and now we avoid driving in Europe's major cities at all costs.

On our first trip to Rome, we booked a hotel that was supposed to be "1/2 mile from the Colloseum". Well, let me assure you that the Domus Sessoriana (near Santa Croce in GeruSalemme) was nowhere near much of anything. While it wasn't a horrible situation (we were near the S. Giovanni metro station), it wasn't within walking distance of much. Like elaine, we too research our hotels more thoroughly before we book.

The last major mistake we have made is trying to do too much. Sure, you could do 3 cities (and numerous daytrips) in 10 nights but it left us exhausted. We have also learned to cut some of the daytrips down and at shorter distances (for example, 3 hours drive to Cesky Krumlov from Salzburg was not an ideal daytrip).

We discuss what we would do different after every trip we take, and learn from our mistakes and experiences.

Tracy

Edward, I was right there with ya, the overpacking thing was the first and last time time I made that particular mistake.

It is always a quest of mine to pack lighter and lighter each time I travel, lol. I am rather obsessed with it, ha. However, my obsession has paid off because I find that I can often pack lighter each and every time.

Looking forward to read the rest of the posts on this thread.

Thanks, Tiff
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 11:44 AM

Faina, Oh, heavens indeed, I have made that whole 'trusting the travel agent' mistake too. Booked with an agent when I too young and naive to know any better. NEVER made that mistake again. One of the things that led to Fodors so long ago, from that point on, I did every bit of research and booked it all by myself.

Statia, I loved that story of yours, I remember it from another post, and it is so cute. I am sure it wasn't cute at the time, lol, but it is precious, and I loved hearing it again.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 11:52 AM
ira

My rookie traveler's mistake (and I still haven't learned): if you see something you really want that you can't get at home - buy it. It won't be there later that day.

Old Oct 18th, 2005, 11:56 AM

Not sure if I would qualify for this thread as I just returned from my "rookie trip!" But I would say my biggest mistake was not throwing in those extra pair of khakis that I was going to at the last minute before I left and everyone told me not to. I was trying to do the "pack light" thing, and it back-fired. I was bored to tears with my wardrobe, and the weather turned suddenly cool, and I only had 2 pants (very lightweight!) to wear - all the while thinking of my nice khakis hanging in my closet at home!

Best decision was to go ahead with the road trip through Spain idea that my S/O originally had. I really thought the public transportation that everyone had told to do was the way to go, but he was insistent and I am so very, very, very happy we did it his way! The trip was absolutely perfect because we got to do what we wanted, when we wanted, at our own speed!
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 11:56 AM
hdm

Ira,
This is my rule at home too -- if you love it and can afford it, buy it when you see it. It won't be there when you go back.

But it's especially true when traveling. I can't tell you how many times I've regretted not buying some little thing that just cost a few dollars. In fact, when I was in a minerals store on the main square in Taos, I saw a little metal standing frog that was a sphere holder. I've been obsessed with it ever since. If anyone knows where I can get one...
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 11:58 AM

Overpacked
Took traveler's checks
Bought roundtrip ticket instead of investigating open-jaw
Hadn't found this Forum yet (it took until '99)
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 12:05 PM

I too agree with ira. If you want it and it's within reason, buy it, and it's a lesson I also keep forgetting.
Sometimes on a trip I see the expenses mounting up, and I start to be concerned, and then I see something that really is reasonably priced, or memorable, and I forego it. Either I then obsess about it and in my mind, it becomes the biggest lost opportunity of all time, or, it just becomes an unnecessary regret.

And to follow on ira's comment, if you go back to the store later, the item will either be gone, or the store will be closed.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 12:33 PM

Glad you got a chuckle again, Tiff. I actually pride myself on mass researching and being prepared in order not to make rookie mistakes, so thankfully that was one of our few in all our trips.

I'm sure I'll be in for a new one or two on our upcoming trip, even though we've been to Venice already. I'll report back!
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 12:42 PM

Good question. My first trip to Europe was to Spain in 2000. I went with two friends, which in itself was a mistake. They are best friends, even though I've known both of them longer than they've known each other. I often felt left out, and it put a strain on us (no worries; we're all very close now). Even without that dynamic, I prefer to travel alone or with an even number of people. No matter how many go along, I believe it's important to discuss the trip and potential problems before you leave and to travel with people who have similar temperants, travel philosophies, energy levels, etc.

For a variety of reasons, I didn't do a lot of planning for the trip and I had only a vague sense of what to do and see. None of us were very prepared, and it showed. It seemed like we went around in circles much of the time. I'm all for spending a certain amount of time with no real agenda, but I think it helps to know something about the city, it's attractions, layout, neigborhoods, restaurants, etc. I do a fair amount of planning and research when I travel now. In fact, I have the opposite problem now in that I become obsessed!

Third rookie mistake is that we took a tour bus, organized through the company from whom we'd purchased our hotel/air package, from our resort in the south of Spain to Seville. The bus ride took FOREVER because we had to pick up groups of two and three in all these little towns. Many of the people on the bus were rather petulent, and after a short time, my nerves were frayed. Once we got to Seville, we barely had four hours before we had to return to the resort. It was a long and tedious day.

A suprisingly wise decision was to bring my checkbook. I presumed that I'd be able to get money from an ATM. Well, my friends didn't have any problems but I did. I ended up having to write a check at an American Express office to get cash. Now I always have a "backup" plan for money when I travel.

Old Oct 18th, 2005, 12:48 PM

Hello Edward, the biggest mistake ever made was not the first trip to Italy. It was a later trip.

Before then I was always so organized. Clothes planned out way in advance, small size toiletry items purchased etc.

Well guess I got a bit cocky about the whole idea of going to Italy. I didn't plan anything. The Friday evening before our flight out very early Sunday morning I figured we would get packed, do what ever shopping had to be done Sat. morning etc.

First of all we had a terrible plumbing problem with one of our rentals. Got home Friday night close to midnight. OK, no problemo, will pack Saturday morning, do the bit of shopping Saturday afternoon, pack the carryons.

Saturday arrived and so did all kinds of family members and friends. It was like a wake, LOL. People in and out all day without a break because they all wanted to see us before we left and wish us a wonderful trip.

OK, figured I would pack Saturday evening, figure out the carryon's somehow. One needs to stay relaxed, right?

Saturday evening the phone rings. One of the married children wants to come back to the house, they have a little going away present for me. They arrive and stay and stay and stay! I guess I din't "kick" them out as by this time we were like zombies.

Around midnight we started packing. What a mess, LOL. We finally got the packing done and the carryon's packed (with large bottles of shampoo etc.

Finished at 4:00am and had to leave the house at 5:00am to get to SFO. That gave us a whole hour for showers, dressing, locking up the house etc. etc.

We already had jetlag when we arrived at SFO BEFORE our flight to Italy.
When we arrived at Malpensa one of our friends was there to meet us. We were not expecting him. He took one look at us (he was on the tarmac when we got off the plane because he worked for an airline) and said "oh my goodness, I see you had a really terrible flight!!" I am sure we looked like we had died hours before and didn't know it. And you cannot believe how heavy the carryon's were!

Believe it or not we never even took a nap that day. Just got to the hotel in Milan, unpacked, showered etc. and took off with our friend for wine and lunch. Fortunatly we were staying in Milan for a few days so we didn't pick up the rental car immediately. I am sure we would have been an accident waiting to happen!

I laugh now but I sure didn't that weekend. Lesson learned. Always pack ahead of time. And tell everyone that you will not be available the day before you leave. Wise travel planning to all!
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 12:58 PM

LoveItaly, LOL!
I have been known to tell some friends and family that I'm leaving a day earlier, and returning a day later, than I really am. Gives me some prep and decompression time. If I change my mind, I can always say 'oops, sorry, I gave you the wrong date.'

Of course that was a problem once when a friend sent flowers to my hotel, and I wasn't due there until the next day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -