denmark/sweden travel by car

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi there...we are traveling by car from copenhagen after getting off our cruise ship. we have three days and have a car rented from copenhagen. our plan was to travel north and cross over at helsingbour into sweden and travel north. then maybe cutting across to the east towards kalmar and then south back to malmo and back into copenhagen. does this seem like a good route or are does any one have a better idea what to do with three days? thank you!! lorri
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 02:25 PM

I'm no expert here, so I hope someone more knowledgable posts to your message....but....we drove from Copenhagen to Stockholm in '03...and I must say that the drive itself was rather boring. We had been warned of this, but wanted to see S'holm. Then drove from S'holm to Oslo, which also was not very interesting.

Hope that doesn't put a kink in your idea. Let's hear what others have to say, 'cause I would think there are some interesting things to drive to from C'hagen.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 02:39 PM

Southern Sweden is the 'glass country'. We rented a car for a couple of days there and went to the crystal places - Kosta Boda, Orefors, and many very interesting smaller ones.
This area was not served with trains when we went.

Also, there are many interesting short trips from Copenhagen. For instanace, to Odense, to Aero, to the Louisana museum, etc. The scenery is okay - different to an American - but quickly monotonous so surely you aren't doing this just for scenery.

There is plenty to do in Copenhagen for 3 days - particularly if you haven't been there before or you venture out. IMHO Southern Sweden -besides glass country - isn't that interesting and you have to care about the glass blowing or you might find that boring.

My advice would be to explore the Danish islands and and side trips from Copenhagen,
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 02:50 PM

I agree that the trip to the island of Aero was worth it.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

thank you so much for the input....we may stay in denmark since the other route didn't seem too exciting. i just thought it would be beautiful countryside and sunny beaches etc....!!
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 10:38 PM

I'd agree with what the other posters have already said. My inlaws have summer cottages in Southern Sweden, so I do this journey couple times a year. The journey from Helsingborg is not very interesting and neither is Southern Sweden IMO. I think the Danish countryside and villages are much more charming and there is lots to see eg Møns Klint or the island of Bornholm (need few days for this trip).
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

well, i guess we are totally going to change directions! thanks you all for the info. so now we're thinking we may fly to iceland, or go directly to bornholm, or go south in copenhagen and go to mons...how about the beaches in the north of denmark? i think we could do those too. we want to go to maybe one castle but not see every history thing there is. best one? anyway, we leave this sunday so if any more ideas come up, let us know. again, thanks for all your help!