Reload this Page >

Deluxe London Hotels

Search

Deluxe London Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 1998, 06:11 AM
Gigi

Deluxe London Hotels

Planning a trip to London and since I am going alone, would like to splurge on a very nice hotel with all of the bells and whistles and in a central location to sights and shopping. I have several good guidebooks but I was wondering if anyone has first hand experience with Claridges, the Inter-Continental, the Park Lane hotel, Grosvenor House, Dukes, or any other that you can highly recommend. Also please let me know the type of room you stayed in and approximately what the bill was. My guide book lists the room rate for Grosvenor at $110 to $215 American, which seems way too low. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Old Feb 23rd, 1998, 07:22 AM
Neal Sanders

I've stayed several times at the Dorchester, which is about as posh a place as you can get in London. The staff is downright obsequious, the rooms beautiful (request one overlooking Hyde Park), the amenities everything you could ask for. At $500 a night, however, it's a horrendous waste of money, and the $28 tab for breakfast is heart-stopping. My alternative suggestion is The Beaufort, which is hard by Harrods in Knightsbridge, but on a quiet side street. There, you can get a one-bedroom suite for about $320 a night (less if you're staying several nights), including breakfast served in your room. The staff couldn't be friendlier, and there's tea in the afternoon and champagne at 6 p.m.

Old Feb 23rd, 1998, 10:45 AM
Kat

In London, I enjoy the Savoy (on the Thames . . . spectacular views, probably the best in London, get a river-view room). The Savoy is just a hop-skip-and-jump from the Tate Gallery (a must see) and just across the river from the National Theatre.

I also recommend The Franklin, a 'boutique' hotel on one of those private gardens in Knightsbridge near Harrods. Only 50 rooms or so but 24-hour room service, very comfortable digs well situated.

Old Feb 23rd, 1998, 10:53 AM
Paul J

Hi Gigi: We stayed at the Grosvenor House two years ago as part of a pre-cruise trip. The "low" rate you were quoted was probably for the less expensive wing of the hotel. We didn't realize it until we met some other people on the same trip. They were smart enough to ask to have their room changed to the better section. We weren't -- Oh well, live and learn. The hotel was okay, location fine. It was hardly what I would call Posh. It's supposed to have a great reputation however. London is great!! Have a good trip. Paul J

Old Feb 25th, 1998, 07:41 PM
Judi

My favorite hotel in London that definitely fits
the description of what you're looking for is
The Lanesborough. It's located at Hyde
Park Corner, diagonal from Buckingham
Palace. The rooms are magnificent, each
room has a butler!, and service is absolutely
impeccable!
I can't drop and drag "Favorite Places" from
AOL to these message boards, but if you'd
like to see their website, email reply to me
and I'll send it to you that way!

[email protected]

Old Feb 25th, 1998, 08:02 PM
Gigi

Hi, thanks everyone for the info. Judi, I looked up the Lanesborough in my Access guide and in case anyone else is interested (and/or is a Texan) it apparently was acquired by Caroline Rose Hunt the billionaire who also owns the famous, Mansion On Turtle Creek hotel in Dallas. She reportedly spent 1.7 million dollars on EACH of the 95 guest rooms and suites. A total 161.5 million dollar renovation. In light of this, my only question is what was the price of your room?

Old Feb 25th, 1998, 09:24 PM
Joanna

Hello there. I think some of the people above may be mixing up "Grosvenor House" 5 stars and "The Grosvenor Victoria" 4 stars (a Thistle hotel). The former is expensive and upmarket, whereas the latter looks good from the outside and its public rooms are old style luxury. The bedrooms themselves are okay, but nothing fantastic. You would have to make sure you specify clearly which one you want to a travel agent. "Grosvenor House" is at Mayfair, whereas "The Grosvenor Victoria" is on Buckingham Palace Road, next to Victoria Station.