delphi/athens - greece

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 07:30 PM
lisa

delphi/athens - greece

Any advice for restaurants in delphi,greece or athens. Also, anybody know how far marathon is from athens?
thanks

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 01:13 AM
Walter

28Km NE from the Acropolis in Athens, ~40KM driving distance. I'm curious what do you want to see there? I lived in Nea Makri (US military) just down the road from there for 2yrs in the 70's and spent a couple of days ~there in Jan00. Regards, Walter

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 07:08 AM
Lisa

My son is studying ancient greece, and is very interested in seeing thermopylae (spelling?) and Marathon
thanks
Lisa

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 09:27 AM
Walter

There are a few minor sites in the area that are hard to find (unmarked and possibly no admittance but I could be wrong and just didn't find them. But I assume your son wants to see the "Tomb of the Athenians, Marathon Tomb", it's signposted and ~350m off the main road (rightside) before Marathon. And the Marathon Museum is ~1.5km farther down the main road (left) and maybe ~1.5km inland. The ruins at Rhamnous are nice and scenic (closed in Jan00 for excavations, hopefully reopened). On the main street from the museum turn-off, there is a right ~2.5km down (just before a large ridge, sign would probably say Kato Souli) and maybe 12-15km to Rhamnous. As you can see it would be tough trip by bus but possible. Assuming you have a car I would do this trip either going to or returning from Delphi, just to avoid the nightmare Athens traffic for 2 daytrips. On the map it shows how you can go thru Marathon and take that mountain road west to the Highway (E-75) North and drop down to Thiva (Thebes) and catch that road to Delphi. Leaving Athens to Marathon the normal way is to take the road that heads to Rafina and then north to Marathon. But if you want a beautiful view of the Bay & Plain of Marathon (from atop a mountain), from Athens head towards Kiffisa and take the road to Nea Makri. HTH Regards, Walter

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 10:55 AM
Walter

Forgot to add: I wrote a trip report for finding the location of Socrates' Prison and Cell. It's in the Agora but hard to find and unmarked. So if you'd like to stand in the spot where Socrates had his last drink, just type-in socrates in the "Text Search" and click "Greece" & "Find". Regards, Walter

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 05:10 PM
Theodora

Lisa, the distance from Athens to Marathon is the same distance of today's Marathon races- 42km(26mi). I am sure your son can tell you of the Athenian messanger who ran the distance after the battle of Marathon in 490BC to Athens and announced the victory, collapsing immediately to his death.

Like Walter said, it is possible by bus but I think you will really need a car for this, and especially if you are thinking of visiting Thermopyle.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 09:43 AM
Wendy

In Athens there is a restaurant in the Plaka called Adriana's that was very good! I believe the managers names were Angelo and Jimmy. You can dine outside or in and they also have their own lable wine which was very good.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Grasshopper

Whatever you do, DON'T fall for the "taxi cab and the taverna scam"! Has anyone else been a victim of this one?

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 12:49 PM
April

I haven't heard of that one, Grasshopper, but found many taxi drivers in Athens who were trying to charge too much.

Anyway, in the Plaka on the lower Acropolis hillside are several restaurants in a row. We only went to one but the food was good (generally I didn't care for Greek food) and the entertainment was lively. For lunch or snacks, especially cake, try one of the Neon cafes. The Nescafe coffee was closest to what we have at home. Their washrooms were clean too.