Defused Bomb

Mar 24th, 2004, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Defused Bomb

CNBC just mentioned that a bomb was discovered and removed from under the train from Paris to Basil.
Mar 24th, 2004, 07:42 AM

just saw the story on bbc.com. who is AZF?
Mar 24th, 2004, 07:45 AM

I haven't read the article, but I think that this is the domestic/French terrorist group that's been blackmailing the government. A few months ago another bomb was defused.

Mar 24th, 2004, 08:17 AM

Can I just say that if this is likely to turn into a 'Oh-no-we-can't-go-somewhere-that's-possibly-unsafe' thread, then really please don't. Have lived in London all my life and, although much better now, if I worried everytime a bomb was discovered then I'd never have left my house...

More chance of being run over by a bus etc etc....

Don't worry and/or change your plans - you just let these very warped individuals/groups win...
Mar 24th, 2004, 08:25 AM

Tallulah, I don't see it as that kind of post. I live in NYC and am leaving for Madrid and London in < 2 weeks. Need I say more! In any case, I hope people aren't too alarmed, I'm not.
Mar 24th, 2004, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Nope. Posted purely as info FWIW. I agree. If you stop traveling, then they've won. Can you imagine how stultifying life would be if you never saw any place but home? I would just plan to be vigilant.
Mar 24th, 2004, 08:31 AM

Hi Tallulah
I, respectfully, have a different point of view.
IMO, the crazies ARE winning, they win every time civilians are killed.
I'm a New Yorker. Obviously I haven't moved away (where would I go?) and I still travel.
Mar 24th, 2004, 08:33 AM

Sigh..! I knew that I'd get that reaction and that REALLY wasn't what I meant! What I was saying was that these things do happen and I DO hope that people take your stance and travel whatever...

I truly apologise if I've offended you but alas I have read a number of threads on here where reactions have been alarmist to what is ostensibly a not unusual occurrence...

Please travel without worry and enjoy!!!
Mar 24th, 2004, 08:43 AM

Hi Tallulah,

Tallulah was my Mom's name. There don't seem to be a lot people with that name here in the US. Demi Moore named one of her girls Tallulah Belle.

Is it an unusual name in the UK?
Mar 24th, 2004, 08:54 AM

Hi Indytravel!

VERY unusual in this country! My mum had(and subsequently so do I) a thing about Tallulah Bankhead - American actress in early 20th Century. If you've never heard of her, do look her up, she was utterly outrageous and really quite wonderful!
Mar 24th, 2004, 09:01 AM

My Mom was actually named after the town where her Mom's family came from, Tallulah, Louisiana.

Tallulah Bankhead is the only famous Tallulah I know of. She did lead quite a life.

I was looking around on the internet a while back and discovered that Tallulah is actually a Native American word meaning "leaping waters." That's how Tallulah Falls, Georgia was named. The falls look beautiful. I'll have to make it some day.

http://ngeorgia.com/parks/tallulah.html
Mar 24th, 2004, 09:42 AM

Please, no more "if we do X or don't do X the terrorists will have won" blather. Let's face it, they really don't care what we do. In their propaganda, we are the "infidel" and are beyond redemption.

Have a nice day!
Mar 24th, 2004, 11:18 AM

The original poster no doubt meant Basel, Switzerland.
Mar 24th, 2004, 11:19 AM

It's Basel, in Switzerland.
Mar 24th, 2004, 11:52 AM

Re: from Paris to Basil

If it was a bomb on a train to Basil, I would've assumed it would be fawlty.
Mar 24th, 2004, 12:59 PM

Lol at CalgirlSusan, made me chuckle...thank you

Muck

;-)
Mar 24th, 2004, 01:22 PM

My sister is named Tallulah also, after Tallulah Bankhead. My dad loved movies stars - got a brother Boris - after Karloff!
Regarding bombs - its an issue all over the world - evil people are everywhere. But we must not let them defeat us. I have plans for France in May - and I could easily die here in Miami!
Mar 24th, 2004, 02:51 PM

Well, I don't care what those %#&@*! may be up to next. My husband & I just booked our flight from Miami to Paris for June. This is our 9th anniversary get-a-way & we refuse let this news bother us. It actually causes me to think about traveling more. There may come a time when we simply can't travel abroad or even in our own countries for saftey reasons. Who knows??
Mar 24th, 2004, 03:24 PM

Feeling contrary. In the US 40,000 people or more are killed each and every year, year after year due to auto wrecks. Half of those are related to driving mixed with alcohol and/or drugs.

Where's the outcry? Where's the outrage? Where's the mobilization of police forces to stop this? Where are the tougher laws? That's 20,000 deaths a year that nobody seems to care about. I guess it's OK to kill people 2 or 3 at a time...
Mar 24th, 2004, 03:53 PM

indytravel, interestingly I just read/heard something about this recently. The person was saying that it's not as if we think it's "OK" to kill 2 or 3 people at a time but, rather, that it simply doesn't get our attention, as much as some event -- like an airplane crash -- that kills so many people at a time, and also so dramatically.

If a hypothetically huge bus carrying the same number of people as a 747 was hit by a drunk driver, causing to, say, plunge off a cliff and killing everyone on board, it would get far more press than the same number of people slaughtered by drunk drivers one by one.

At issue with drunk driving is the classic liberty vs. security debate. Checkpoints on roads, for example, might provide greater security -- nabbing more drunk drivers -- but there are those who see them as an unfair infringment on liberties, i.e. a violation of the Fourth Amendment (unreasonable search and seizure.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO