Reload this Page >

Definite no nos in carry on luggage

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 08:56 AM
Joanne

This seems to vary from airport to airport and airline to airline, according to some posts on Fodor's, and I'm wondering if there is a definitive list anywhere.<BR><BR>Obviously knives, nail files, nail clippers, etc. are not allowed. What about spray bottles of cologne? I think aerosol cans are not allowed (hair spray, etc.). Is that correct? Trying to sort out our toiletry bags and separate those things not allowed for transfer to checked luggage.<BR><BR>These restrictions are obviously a step in the right direction for security reasons, but I sure wish they (the airlines/airports) would get their acts together and come out with a uniform list that they all adhere to so we would have some idea what to do!<BR><BR>j

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 09:07 AM
elaine

Joanne<BR>It's still a muddle from anyone's perspective. My business-traveler brother-in-law recently had a set of brass collar stays confiscated from his carry-on luggage. When he helpfully pointed out that there were the same brass stays in the collar of the shirt he was wearing, the security agent said<BR>"oh,those are fine" and waved him onto the plane with stays still in the collar.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 09:31 AM
nospam

&lt;&lt;Obviously ... nail clippers... are not allowed.<BR><BR>These restrictions are obviously a step in the right direction for security reasons...&gt;&gt;<BR><BR>Obvious? to whom? these are sad commentaries...<BR>

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 09:37 AM
Joanne

No Spam: &lt;&lt;nail clippers&gt;&gt; Obvious to most travelers if they read the paper or surf the web and haven't been in a cave since 9/11.<BR><BR>Sad commentary perhaps, but I am interested in sound advice and personal experiences in line with my question, not snide remarks!<BR><BR>j

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 09:40 AM
nospam

that the restriction of nail clippers is "OBVIOUSLY" a step in the right direction...<BR><BR>that's what is a sad, not a snide observation<BR>

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 10:32 AM
Janice

I had a bunch of safety pins confiscated, and my sewing kit, which had 2 needles in them. I wonder if a woman could actually wear a brooch now - the bar on it would be longer than a needle....

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 10:34 AM
canuck

An interesting story..I always pack my make-up case in my checked luggage but at Christmas time I just didn't have room and at the last minute threw it into my carryon. Of course I totally forgot there was a nail file in it. Customs asked me to open my carry-on. I opened my makeup bag (suddenly my stomach dropped because I realized my nail file was in there)..he looked right at the nail file and said nothing. He was much more interested in a Christmas ornament my granddaughter had made me. It was one of those clear glass ones and she had poured paint in it and made a lovely multi-coloured ornament from it. So he spent several minutes looking at it and literally moved my nail file to see what else I had in the case. Never said a word about it.