Reload this Page >

Define trolls, acceptable inquiries

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 08:39 AM
Debby

What to posters here mean by trolls? There is much rude sarcasm in replies, presumably because questions are deemed foolish or lazy. Perhaps some of you should chill out and be a bit more tolerant, you probably could use a good vacation, and that's why you're on here anyway. Finally, if it is so wrong to ask: Has anyone been to hotel soand so in Venice, so what are the parameters of an acceptable inquiry?

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 08:51 AM
Debbie

<BR>I think a troll is someone who posts a totally absurd question / reply. <BR><BR>For instance - recently there have been posts about &quot; my sister and I are taking our 12 children on a 9 hr flight to XXXXXXX - how can we keep them from annoying all the passengers. &quot;<BR><BR>Really - who would travel with 6 kids each , as a first trip to europe? <BR><BR>Another thing that tips off a troll - same question - different city - over and over . <BR><BR>I too think the sarcasm should be reduced, but trolls are just out to either garbage up the forum, or to cause trouble by issuing insults.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 08:56 AM
sometimes

Trolls are fictional questions or stories. Occasionally they are funny, not rude or sarcastic.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 09:18 AM
Lars

Frankly I'm getting irrated by somebody who starts out with this overused chestnut &quot;I suspect this is a troll post&quot; and then goes blabbering on in a bombostic fashion that makes even the worst troll seem charming by comparison.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 09:34 AM
xxx

A troll is NOT just any question that people think is silly or irrelevant. It is a phony and deliberately provocative message, posted not to get information but only to stir up anger and controversy. A troll poster is &quot;trolling&quot; for outraged responses. The weird thing is how many people still fall for obvious trolls, even after it's been pointed out they are trolls, and get all indignant about traveling with kids, or Americans wanting ice in their drinks, or fat passengers, or whatever dumb topic on which the troller was trying to inflame people.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 09:46 AM
Anon

All the above re trolls is true. And technically, the &quot;Has anyone stayed at Hotel X&quot; post is not unacceptable. But it is not the best way to ask the question, and will not get the best feedback. Especially if Hotel X is one that has already been discussed millions of times on this board, which indicates that the poster was too lazy to do a search before s/he posted. Because then, of course, the obvious answer is simply, &quot;yes.&quot;<BR><BR>Better to say something like: &quot;I've read a guidebook or two, done a search here, and am interested in Hotels X and Y because of reason Z. Out budget is __ and we need a quiet room/a canal view/an elevator/or whatever. Please help me choose.&quot;

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 09:50 AM
xxx

Gee, and I just thought those women were crazy to be taking all those kids - not trolling!

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 09:54 AM
Bobbi

So here's the thing...if someone is new and they don't know that it's been discussed a thousand times and the search function sucks......how does that qualify someone as &quot;too lazy to do a search&quot;. How about a nice polite &quot;It has been discussed on the board before. Here is my opinion&quot;<BR><BR>I know that that I naively asked for opinions on the travel pass and was flamed my very first time on the board.<BR><BR>Not everyone here has been here for months (or in some cases years).<BR><BR><BR>Bobbi

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 10:03 AM
x

Bobbi..most posters on this board have nothing better to do than be a &quot;knowitall&quot;,which includes telling posters they have not done enough research. Posters that give lousy advice yet insult posters for not sharing the same opinion are worse than trolls. At least trolls succeed in pissing posters off,which is all they set out to do.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 10:04 AM
xxx

speaking of bad search engines - i typed in troll with astericks on both ends and couldn't find this thread.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 10:15 AM
Lesli

The search function works quite well for anything that's been indexed. Indexing happens at random intervals, sometimes not for 2-3 weeks or more. So, you will not be able to find this post, but you will be able to find older posts containing your key word(s). Do not use quote marks or asterisks, though. You can use &quot;and&quot; - for example &quot;paris and hotel.&quot;<BR><BR>For more recent posts re a particular country, simply click on the country name to get threads only pertaining to Italy, or whatever country interests you, and scroll down.<BR><BR>You will also get the best response if you create a very specific title for your post, including the country or city name. I realize that &quot;newbies&quot; don't neccessarily know this, but it surprises me that so many people ask for help without seeing what they can find on their own first.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 10:16 AM
xxx

To the other xxx.<BR>This thread did not appear when you searched for it because it has not yet been indexed.<BR>But you will find other troll threads if you just type troll in the text search box. Do not use astericks or any other symbols.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 10:17 AM
xxx

This post still rings true...<BR><BR>Author: ALegend ([email protected])<BR>Date: 06/09/2000, 03:46 pm <BR>Message: <BR><BR>Our Pompous Ass Club is comprised of a select group of individuals who frequent this forum. Induction occurs when someone on this forum refers to one of your elite posts and calls you a Pompous Ass. Forthwith are some guidelines to help you earn a place among the Asses: <BR><BR>1. Never ever post a travel question or response if you can possibly help it. Spend your time on posts like this one, or better yet, posts which use limericks, rhymes or parodies to put down everyone and everything you've ever read here. Find someone else's topic and start making fun of it. <BR><BR>2. If someone has the unmitigated gall to post a travel question about something YOU have already answered, for God's sake, waste no time in advising that poster to do a SEARCH on the topic before he bothers you again! You, after all, have to have time to compose witty insults. <BR><BR>3. If you ARE forced to answer a travel question (because you know no one else out there can do it), be sure to complain first, then take a swipe at something like the poster's map reading skills or white tennis shoes. Let him/her know that he/she is a traveling idiot. Tell them they have not provided enough information for you to answer their question and lecture them about it. Create a separate post which complains about this. Throw in a complaint about people who ask what to do and see, just for good measure. <BR><BR>4. When posting, be sure to use big, complicated words that will have all those ingoramuses (or is it ignorami?) out there running for their dictionaries. Make sure they know that YOU went to university. <BR><BR>5. Refer posters to other resources rather than give any helpful first hand information. Hey, you had to research it all yourself, so should they! Don't let 'em get lazy. <BR><BR>6. Finally, be sure to poke fun at their measly incomes and budget hotel choices. Tell them all about your month at the Paris Ritz when they ask about student hostels. Cheap restaurants, they ask? If they can't afford the trip then why are they going? Make sure they know that YOU have plenty of disposable income and are not afraid to use it. <BR><BR>This is merely a sample of the many ways in which you too can become a Pompous Ass. We have monthly meetings and a secret handshake, but you'll find out about those later. <BR>

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 10:29 AM
x

Legend....ROTFLMAO.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 11:42 AM
Dino

Actually the troll posts tend to be the best part of the board. The vast majority of troll posts are comical and generate equally humorous replies.<BR><BR>There is a inner circle of posters here who see this as their private domain and try to enforce rules they (not Fodors) make up. Talk about snobbery!! They criticize people who don't know side streets in Paris. They belittle people who are trying to decide between a Disneyworld vacation and a trip to Europe! Talk about pompous!!!<BR><BR>I feel these &quot;defenders of the board&quot; should get banned before any trolls!!!

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 11:54 AM
um

I have to admit that I was accused of being a troll one of the first times that I posted here. At least I didn't use my real name because I was just having a terrible day - and wanted someone in the universe to respond to it. I realize now that it was a no-no and that everything should relate to travel and it was wiped out almost immediately by the powers that be. But maybe we could be a bit kinder to people who may just be ignorant (as I was) I was the one that posted that one about the terrible Christmas Eve with everything going wrong - even in my family. it was all true, darn it. But I shouldn't have posted it. (blush)

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 11:57 AM
jc

I feel educated today.<BR><BR>I always thought that TROLL means old, ugly people

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 12:29 PM
anti-troll

I can't define a troll, but I know one when I see it.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 12:37 PM
annalynn

Dino, right on!!

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 12:48 PM
mm

Ditto to Dino.<BR><BR>Those that shout &quot;this is a troll&quot; are more irritating than even the most ill-informed post.<BR><BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -