Deducing deductibles: Need your help!

Apr 9th, 2002, 05:34 PM
Meander

Deducing deductibles: Need your help!

Renting a car for the first time in France and have narrowed it down between Avis and Autoeurope. Prices are comparable for inclusive coverage. My platinum MC covers only collision so I don't know if that helps.

AVIS has deductibles of 750euros for CDW and 1100 for theft. Super CDW and Super Theft can be purchased at pick-up (but they can't tell me how much it will cost or how much coverage I can get until I'm actually there).

AUTOEUROPE has Non Waiverable deductibles of 500 for CDW and 975 for theft. No "Super" coverage is available.

Which do you like? BTW I saw a post a while ago about never using a rental agency that has a deductible. Is that even possible?

Apr 9th, 2002, 06:58 PM
ttt

Desperately topping

Apr 10th, 2002, 02:22 AM
abc

Have you tried www.autofrance.com.

Apr 10th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Christina

I don't know but I suspect it may be something about French law that makes such high non-waiverable deductibles as I've seen it for different companies. Obviously, I like Autoeurope because the deductibles are lower, and your card should cover the collision one. I do wonder about the theft thing, why cards don't cover that. YOu might try Hertz and Kemwell, also, they are the other major companies in France, I think, just to see what they say. It is a curious thing, I'll agree, that you can't buy it for some rate, even if high. I wouldn't trust Avis (I do like them in US) because that story sounds dopey to me, why can't they tell you ahead of time? Makes no sense to me.

Apr 10th, 2002, 03:07 PM
MBrown

Are you getting the 20 percent discount on your Avis rate? If not here is the link : https://www.avis.com/AvisWeb/JSP/US/en/deals/us_france_20.jsp

The reduction code is K520400 and is valid on the web as well as via the 800 number.

It is bizarre that they wont tell you what the super packages are. You may want to try calling again.. .maybe you got a poor rep. Otherwise call the rental station directly. They will know for sure what the charges are. If it is in a major city or tourist destination they will probably speak english.

I have rented with avis sevral times in France and have been happy with the service.

Good luck!

Apr 10th, 2002, 03:25 PM
FLJudi

We used Avis rental in Nice last year. Made sure we had no deductible (paid a lot for it) but were so happy we did. Scraped the whole side of the car on the first day (those stone walls just jump out at you). Continued on our two week trip with no worries. If we knew we though we might have a hassle when we turned car in we would not have enjoyed ourselves as much. No problem at car return. I'd call Avis again as suggested.

Apr 10th, 2002, 03:58 PM
John

I presume you checked out www.renaultusa.com for the Eurodrive lease program. Depending on the length of your rental it may or may not be as cheap as Avis et al (but bigger and better cars for the same price, usually) but all insurance is included with no deductable, and no tax, so look at the full cost, not just the base rate.