Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Decision: Greece or Italy for only 5 full days?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 09:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I know the question will make some of you cringe but I would appreciate feedback.

DH and I have 7 days available for a trip in mid January and Italy & Greece are tops on the list right now. Considering travel time, we've got 5 full days. I know this is not long enough but it is what I've got to work with. We're using FF miles for the tickets and there is availability for both destinations.

I'm trying to figure out which location would allow us to make the best use of only having 5 full days. We've both been to other areas of Europe and are experienced travelers so getting around isn't usually a problem for us.

We are interested in culture, history, natural beauty. Shopping & nightlife are *not* a priority. We like to travel economically when possible as long as it doesn't negatively impact the experience. (Don't need luxury hotels as long as accomodations are clean & safe).

Any/all feedback on which location would allow us to make the best use of only 5 full days would be appreciated. TIA.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 09:42 PM

This is just me, but I say Italy! I would also say with your short amount of time, base yourself in Florence and just soak it all in.

Tom
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 01:57 AM

A trip to a city in Italy in Jan. would be much more pleasant than anywhere in Greece at that time of year.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 03:37 AM

We wemt to Rome in Jan. and found it a good time to go with not as many tourist,but still a very busy city. Not so cold that it was unpleasant. If you have not been to Rome and even if you have, there is enough of what you like to spend a month there without seeing it all. We were able to use FF miles to Rome. I think Greece would be too cold at that time of year.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice... I was thinking Italy would be better in January and this helps confirm it.

In Italy, I'd like to hit 2 cities while we're there. We'll arrive on a Sunday morning and will depart the following Saturday afternoon. We'll be in Rome at first and then I'd like to move on to either Florence or Venice. Does anyone have any suggestions for which location would be best to combine with Rome for the time I've got available, considering it will be January? We're very interested in both. TIA.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:20 PM

Can you you get open jaws FF tickets? (I did, so it's possible.) If so, fly into Rome and out of Florence or Venice. Or vice versa. Florence might be better because in the winter Venice can suffer from acqua alta (water flooding Piazza San Marco and other low-lying areas at high tide).

If you can't get open jaws tickets, just stick to Rome with maybe a day trip to Florence. There's plenty to see and the days are short in January. Have you allowed for jet lag in your 5 days?
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

There will be no time for jet lag!! I'll look into whether I can have that flexibility with the flights - good idea. I've actually got 6 nights but only 5 full days uninterupted by travel.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:33 PM

I think "hitting" two Italian cities is a big mistake. I would stick to Rome and if you really find yourselves at a loss for things to do, take the train to Orvieto for the day and see the cathedral. But chances are that even in 5 days, you'll just be getting to know the city before it's time to leave. Be sure to spend some time in Trastevere while you're in Rome, and the Jewish ghetto.