Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Decision;Decision -Greve or Pienza base?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have 4 nights to spend in Tuscany in June and want to see it all. I don't know which towns would be more quaint and less touristy, those in the Chianti region (Radda, Castellina, Greve) or those more in southern Tuscany-(Montelpulciano, Pirenza etc) We will have already been to Florence and will be staying in Tuscany on our way to Rome. We would like a farmhouse or B&B for around 150 per night. I just don't know if both Northern and Southern Tuscany are both as beautiful or if one area is more desirable. Thanks for any advice.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 10:57 AM

We stayed in both areas in 2005 and preferred the Pienza area. Loved the windy roads dotted with cypress, the cute hilltowns, Sant Antimo, and the open space of Tuscany in this area. Have pictures of fields of poppies as far as the eye can see.

We stayed in Pienza where there are great restaurants and the b&b in town was very reasonable, albeit alot of stairs. Can't remember the name, but you can search the town and find reasonable accomodations.

In Chianti we stayed outside Castellina at a wonderful place which I will give you the website. It's my opinion but I don't find this area has as much natural beauty.

http://www.hotelsanleonino.com

It was easy to navigate
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. I had a feeling that Pirenze area is more what I want. My problem is I found a great,inexpensive apt in a farmhouse outside of Greve, and now I'll have to go through the search process again for southern Tuscany.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 02:36 PM

L’Antica Locanda
Corso Il Rossellino 72
Pienza 53026
Tel: 39 0578749509
Email: [email protected] www.lifeinitaly.com/pienza

This is the Pienza hotel we stayed at in town. It was very reasonable at 80 euro.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 02:40 PM

I think you will enjoy the Pienza area. Many people here talk about a place in San Quirico d'Orcia for accomodations.

But I'm sure you can find something in your range.

Old Feb 4th, 2007, 11:25 PM

Definitely southern Tuscany - Pienza/Montalcino/Montepulciano area. Having been to both areas recently (Pienza and Chianti area) my opinion is that the Chianti area, while beautiful, doesn't hold a candle to the marvelous and unimagineable beauty of the southern Tuscany landscape.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

I'm believe all of you on going with my gut feeling that southern Tuscany is more what I want. I'd love the name of a farmhouse or small b&b around 100 euros or so that you know to be good. An apt. for 4 is what I'm looking for-Pirenza, Montelcino area. In the country side but walking distance to a town.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 05:22 AM

Always opt for location---you can always find a place to stay.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 08:35 AM

orangewoman003,
I think that La Crociona http://lacrociona.com/index.htm fits your requirements. I have stayed there and love it. Feel free to e-mail if you have questions.

Henry