Deciding between Paros and Mykonos

Old Mar 14th, 2019, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deciding between Paros and Mykonos

My husband and I are traveling to Santorini in September on our 45th anniversary. We would like to add an additional island and it has been recommended to go to either Paros or Mykonos. I've been reading that another popular island is Naxos. We enjoy wandering around, enjoying local cuisine and spending time at the beach. I would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks
Old Mar 14th, 2019, 09:54 AM

Personally I think a choice between Paros and Naxos would be more logical, and both are easy to reach by conventional ferry from Santorini. Mykonos is also nice, and will be slowing down from its high season madness by the end of September.

If you are celebrating your 45th anniversary you must be about the same age as me, and I like the quieter nightlife (drinks and dinner before an early night in bed) of Naxos and Paros, as well as the lower prices. If you like late night clubbing you may prefer Mykonos, but plan to pay double for hotel and meals from what you would pay on Paros or Naxos.

Naxos has a big fan club on Fodor's, but I happen to prefer Paros. Either would be a good choice.
Old Mar 14th, 2019, 10:19 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh, man, I'm jealous that you get to visit Santorini!
I know a lot of people pooh-pooh it, but we visited in September also, and it was relatively quiet at the end of their season.

I recommend you stay in Imerovigli, and look at The Gold Suites. We loved it, as did our world-traveling daughter & son-in-law.
https://www.goldsuites-santorini.com

We booked the Gold Suites through Costco's travel plan page. With that, you get a few extras, including a concierge on Santorini, who will meet you when you arrive and be on-call if you need anything. It was lucky for us that we had that concierge, who informed us when we arrived that a ferry strike was planned for the day we needed to leave Santorini for our flight home from Athens. She booked us on a flight instead, and saved us from being stuck on the island when the ferry strike happened.

There's a little restaurant, on the caldera walkway, between the Gold Suites and Fira. It's called La Maison: La Maison Restaurant Santorini | Restaurant Imerovigli Santorini
It's tiny, with great views, so you'll need a reservation. Highly recommend it.

Have fun!

Last edited by MoBro; Mar 14th, 2019 at 10:29 AM.
Old Mar 14th, 2019, 12:08 PM

Hi all
It depends on what you need. Mykonos is extremely expensive and crowded but have very nice beaches and you can have the most luxurious life. It has also nice Χώρα Xora as we call it in Greece with many small pedestrian streets full of shops. If you go it is worth visiting Dilos also. Full of ancient monuments
Paros is also nice place and have many Greek people. Nice beaches many place for drinks and food. Very nice choise.

​​​​​Concerning Naxos I do not really like it. If it is windy there is no beach for swimming because it is windy everywhere that is why is the best place for windserfers. There is though good food. It is an island with many families with kids

In Santorini remember to eat at Psaraki and go to Imba and Theros beach bars.
Have perfect time and let me know if you need extra info
Old Mar 14th, 2019, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your advice. I appreciate all the suggestions of restaurants etc!