Reload this Page >

December London Trip

Search

December London Trip

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 10:29 AM
Lynn

December London Trip

Returned from a six-day trip to London on December 17th. This was my third trip to London and my goal was to do a lot of walking (I did) and see some sights that I hadn't had time to see before. I met a friend in London who had never been there before, so spent some days alone and some days with her. It was a nice mixture (and I realized that I really would like to take a trip by myself in the future). Some comments about my trip:<BR><BR>1. Stayed at the London Elizabeth. Ok, but would probably look for a different hotel next time (and there will be a next time).<BR>2. Couldn't believe how crowded the streets were - never experienced anything like the shopping crowds. It was fun, though, and I enjoyed the occasional bagpiper, singers, people ringing bells, etc., that made it a fun Christmas experience.<BR>3. Windows in Harrods were decorated in the theme of James Bond movies - very interesting!<BR>4. Went to Windsor Castle for the first time. Can't believe that I hadn't seen this yet (but there are so many things to do in London!). It was a great day trip. Enjoyed spending time exploring the town, as well as touring the castle and grounds.<BR>5. Also took a day trip to Stratford-on-Avon, the Cotswolds (want to go back there for a week sometime) and to Oxford. It was a long, but very enjoyable day and I'm glad I saw Stratford-on-Avon. Never thought I would enjoy it (because I've heard it is such a tourist trap and overcrowded). But - in December, it was not crowded and you could spend time seeing the exhibits about Shakespeare, etc. It was fun.<BR>6. Went to the Cabinet War Rooms and this was really wonderful to see. Would highly recommend going here, if you are interested in WWII and Churchill.<BR>7. Portobello Road Market on Saturday morning was great fun!<BR><BR>Thanks to people here who helped me plan this trip, especially Ben Haines for the information about walks in London. I thoroughly enjoyed walking around various neighborhoods.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 11:37 AM
lm

By all means take a solo trip to London! You'll be glad you did. I've done it solo twice (last trip this past November) and am planning to go alone again in Nov 2003. I prefer going alone because you can go/see/do what you want when you want and often on a whim. Since you've been to London 3 times already, you'll feel comfortable on your own. The only downside to late autumn/winter travel is that it is dark by 4pm. I agree about the fun Christmas experience, shopping on a very crowded Oxford street with all the lights and people, (sigh). I also love just walking around London, something previous traveling companions did not care for. I also now only stay in flats, no more hotels for me. Have fun planning your next trip!

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 11:39 AM
Karen

Lynn,<BR><BR>Thanks for the report! I leave in 13 days and can't wait! <BR><BR>I do have the Cabinet War rooms on my list, and I don't think everyone goes there, so I'm glad to hear it is worthwhile! <BR><BR>I also wanted to go to S-upon-A, but unfortunately won't have time. We are going to Bath, Salisbury, Stonehenge etc instead, and I got outvoted for going north. There will have to be a next time for me, too!<BR><BR>Karen

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 11:59 AM
Lynn

IM- I've planned to take a solo trip a couple of times, but for one reason or another, end up going with someone. My traveling companions have been wonderful, but I do feel the need to take a trip alone. Have done so many times here in the USA (I travel for business constantly and have also taken some vacations alone - just haven't done so in Europe yet). Will really consider a flat next time.<BR><BR>Karen - I was so glad I saw the Cabinet War Rooms. I spent about 3 hours there (think that most people don't spend that much time there) and my friend that I was traveling with went also (on a separate day) and also loved it. The War Rooms were sealed and left exactly as they had been in 1945 when peace was declared. In addition to seeing the rooms (and there is an excellent headset with commentaries on what you are looking at that is part of the price of the exhibit), you can hear radio broadcasts, etc. from that era. Also a lot of letters, etc. from/to Churchill. Enjoy it!

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 12:04 PM
elaine

I would love to hear more details on the London Elizabeth, what you did not care for.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 12:15 PM
Lynn

I think that some rooms are okay and others are pretty tacky (carpet needs replacement/cleaning, banged-up walls, etc.). We had to change rooms after the first night because the room layout was so inconvenient (lack of mirrors, plugs, bathroom up some stairs, then down, no heat in the bathroom, ceiling peeling in bathroom because of moisture), etc. There is a post under &quot;London Elizabeth Hotel&quot; that you can go to for more information. <BR><BR>The people at the hotel are very nice and it was ok. Did have some problems getting things fixed in our room. For example, the exhaust fan in the bathroom quit working and could not get anyone to fix it. It made for a very humid bathroom. Also, the TV in our room didn't work, and again, no one fixed it. We finally gave up (and we didn't go to London to watch TV anyway).<BR><BR>Continental breakfast (included) was nothing to look forward to and I skipped it most days. Bar area was small and cosy, but very smoky, so didn't want to hang out there.<BR><BR>I didn't find the beds particularly comfortable and the pillows can only be described as sandbags.<BR><BR>However, the price was reasonable, the location was great and some people really like this place. <BR><BR>Next time I'll probably decide to pay a little more and be more comfortable.