Daytrip London Sunday in Jan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2004, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any ideas for a daytrip from London on a Sunday in January?
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 07:59 AM

I just did one this past Sunday, I went to Bath. Caught an 8:30 am train from Paddington, arrived shortly after 10am.
After a ten minute walk from the station, I arrived at the tourist info office next to the Abbey. Bought an indispensable map for GBP 1.25, and was in time to join a 10:30 am walking tour leaving from in front of the Abbey. I'd been to Bath before, but not for quite a long time and the 2-hour walking tour required comfortable shoes and energy, but was great.

After the tour I was back at the Abbey and had a great lunch at (famous) Sally Lunn's where I warmed up a bit. Then my map and I set out again to revist some areas I'd just seen, and to visit a couple of museums. Caught a 5:30 pm train back to London, tired but content.
I booked the ticket on line well in advance and paid only GBP 18.50 However, my ticket had to be picked up at a machine at King's Cross Station not at Paddington--I took care of that on my first day in London, just bring the credit card you used for the purchase.

www.bath.co.uk is a very useful website, you can design your own walking tour.
Here at Fodors.com (click above on Destinations) there is also a lot of good info.

Even in winter, all attractions and many many shops were open on Sunday.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 08:08 AM

elain's suggestion is a good one. But there are literally scores of other places that would make great winter day trips. Before we can give you useful advice, we need to know -- have you been to London/done any day trips before? What sorts of things are you interested in?
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, sounds like a good suggestion.

I myself have been to London, but that was 5 years ago so I dont remember to much. My husband has never been.

We like to do everything....hiking, going to the pubs, love checking out local out of the way places sometimes, we like museums but tend to fly through them or we get bored, architecture...we just like to experience new things. Hope that helps.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 01:40 PM

Remember it gets dark pretty early in Jan. That said I would also recommend Canterbury as a great day trip site and about 90 min. from London. The catheral is wonderful. We had a roast beef dinner at a place that I wish I could remember the name of that was one of the best meals we've ever had on any trip the Sunday we were there.

Another good day trip is Warwick Castle, again about 90 min. Well worth it if you are into castles.

Really it depends on your interests but you can't go wrong with most places people thing of as day trips from London.

We went to Arundel Castle on our trip last spring and that was great too, again about 90 min. from London.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 01:49 PM

If you're interested in architecture, 18th century architecture is what makes Bath a World Heritage Site, if you're still considering it.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 03:03 PM

Time Out Magazine usually has a section in the listings for country walks, with an arrangement to meet in a particular carriage of train going to a particular place at a specified time. Your entrance fee is a copy of "Time Out Country Walks" (that's not quite the right name, but you'll see the reference if you look at these listings in the magazine).