Reload this Page >

Daytrip from London to Winchester?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 09:49 AM
Sandra

We will be staying at the County Hall in London & wish to take a day trip to Winchester next April. Is it possible to take the train? Is this accessible from Waterloo Station?? I've been to Winchester, but don't remember seeing where the train station is located. Can anyone help? <BR>Thank you!

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 10:10 AM
Julie

Sandra, I did this trip 2 years ago and for some reason I seem to remember that you have to leave from Charing Cross station to get to Winchester. Have you checked on www.raileurope.com?

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 10:14 AM
Julie

Ooops...I sit corrected and sincerely apologize for the mis-information. According to www.raileurope.com this train goes from Waterloo.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 10:18 AM
erica

There are lots of trains from Waterloo to Winchester. The trip is pretty short. I can't remember exactly where the station is in Winchester (we were driven there), but it's not real far from the town center (you could grab a taxi for pretty cheap). <BR> <BR>Last year we stayed at the County Hall in London and loved it. It's very convenient. While we were in Winchester, some German friends met us in Winchester for a day. They said the trip from Waterloo to Win. was simple and easy. <BR> <BR>Check out uktimetables.com <BR> <BR>Have a great trip!

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 11:34 AM
Sandra

Julie & Erica: <BR> <BR>Thanks for your help! I will check out the raileurope website. Leaving from Waterloo staion will be really convenient for us. I was wondering if we could walk from the train station in Winchester to the "old" section?? Or if anyone knows how far it is, I'd appreciate the info. <BR>Thanks again, <BR>Sandra

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 11:50 AM
Ann

Trains from London Waterloo leave for Winchester every 15 minutes or so and take about an hour. The station is roughly 10 minutes from the High Street and cathedral, a little more to the college. <BR> <BR>If you've been to Winchester before, the station is right at the top of the High Street (up hill) and then to the right by the council offices (just past the Westgate). It takes me 7 minutes to get down to the bottom of the High Street (a little more on the way back up!)

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 12:45 PM
Sandra

Thank you so much, Ann! That is great to know. At Waterloo Station I've taken the tube around town and I've taken the eurostar to Paris... Where is the train area for trains to Winchester?? Is it the downstairs, eurostar terminal?? <BR> <BR>Thanks again everyone. <BR>Sandra

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 01:18 PM
Ann

Follow the signs from the tube towards the mainline station. You can take a short-cut direct to the platforms but unless you know where you are going, it is better to go to the main concourse. When you reach the top of the escalator, turn right and the platform entrances will be on your right. Also on your right (you will see everyone looking up at them) will be the arrivals and departures boards. You need to look at the departures for trains to Bournemouth, Poole, Weymouth or Southampton which stop at Winchester. I believe they all do. The board will list all the stops on the way. Avoid trains to Portsmouth via Winchester. They tend to be old and slow though sometimes it avoids waiting for a later one.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 01:36 AM
david west

Let me through I'm an expert!!!! <BR> <BR>I Live in london and my home town is winchester so finally i know what i'm talking about!! <BR> <BR>Trains are from waterloo alright, make sure you don't get the "stopping" one (stops about 20 times). There is one an hour that is either direct or stops once or twice. <BR> <BR>Winchester station is slightly out of town. Walk down the hill, turn right at the crossroads into Jewry St and go to the end of that (about 500yds in total) et voila! that's winchester, <BR>which is very small and you cant really go wrong. <BR> <BR>Make sure you see the obvious things (Cathedral, Arthurs round table (honest it is!) and the city museum. I would recommend also the West Gate museum (The Castle gate near the Great hall where the table is) Get the crurator to show you the graffitti by King Charles I (he'll be suprised you know about it). <BR> <BR>I would also recommend my old school, Winchester College, the oldest school in England (well it's the one that's been in the same place the longest). The memorial Quad is very moving and the chapel is quite a sight. <BR> <BR>From there walk across the Water Meadows to St Cross, an old Norman Church and demand the "travellers dole". An Anglo-saxon tradition becumbent on the brothers to provide sustenance to travellers (bread and mead, now a token amount). <BR> <BR>Eats: Hotel Du Vin, Southgate St; Loch Fyne Restuarant, Jewry St; Wykeham Arms; College St. <BR> <BR>Drinks: Take your pick Winchester has more pubs per head than any other town. <BR> <BR>email if you want specifics. <BR> <BR>David

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 11:19 AM
Ann

David - out of date! Express trains every 15 minutes varying in time from 57 minutes and 64 minutes. The ones to avoid take 75 minutes. <BR>

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 09:11 PM
Sandra

Thanks David! It all sounds great. <BR> <BR>Sandra