Search

days in Scotland

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2018, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
days in Scotland

Hi,
Once again, i would appreciate some feedback on planning my trip to Scotland in the last week of July. I feel i need to book my stay because of the high season. I know my plan is really fast pacedand just reading it makes you want to catch your breath but we have major FOMO and like having a lot on our plate. BUT, i find myself with 1 day left and I feel i could use it to slow the pace down, or see something i have missed on the way. We try to plan our stay so that we have things to do at night (usually involving walking and drinking). We like seing a lot of things, but can just sit down to drink and enjoy.

coming in from London, 3 nights in Edinburgh
1 day stirling and Falkland Palace, night in st-Andrews (those 4 nights are booked)

1 day = st-andrews (castle, cathedral), Scone Palace, Glamis Castle, night to be determined (Aberdeen?)
1 day= Dunnotar Castle, braemar castle, Balmoral Castle, night in dufftown (or near) (Craigievar castle instead?)
1 day = Gleinfiddiech distillery, Duff house, Peterhead prison
catch plane in Inverness at 9am.

So I have one more day (and night) to "fit". I feel like more castle isn't the way to go . May be another night in Aberdeen? or May be go north and spend a day on the coast?
Castle have been decided based on reviews and location and fits interest, but this particular route isn't set in stone after St-Andrews. I'm a bit scared that if time isn't working we can't push to the next day because we are doing a "one way route" instead of having a base.

what do you think I should do with this extra day ? AND did i miss something I should see on this first trip?
Old Apr 10th, 2018, 09:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
To save other's some time FOMO; anxiety that an exciting or interesting event may currently be happening elsewhere, often aroused by posts seen on social media.
Old Apr 10th, 2018, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Fear Of Missing Out.
sorry
Old Apr 10th, 2018, 11:09 AM

Where is the "extra" day?
This is what it looks like you have:
3 nights Edinburgh
1 night St Andrews
1 night near Aberdeen (why not stay in Stonehaven?)
1 night near Dufftown
1 night near Glenfiddich? Or will this be in Inverness or near the airport given your 9am departure?
last day catch flight in Inverness?
Do you have 7 nights in Scotland or 8 nights? If it's 8 nights, were it me, I'd pick one of those 1 night stays and turn it into 2 nights, probably one of the last two.
Old Apr 10th, 2018, 11:49 AM

"May be another night in Aberdeen?"

Why? Just because it's a city doesn't mean it has any relevance to you. Aberdeen is an industry town that grew up on the oil industry.

Make sure the Queen won't be in residence if you're trying to see Balmoral. The royal family travel schedule is planned out far in advance and available online. You're not going to be able to do Balmoral, Braemar and Dunnotar in one day - the last is too far away. If you need another castle, there are plenty just west of Aberdeen (Fraser, Drum, Craigevar, but not Corgarff - it's just a tall house with a lot of fields around it).

And good luck with this: st-andrews (castle, cathedral), Scone Palace, Glamis Castle. That's a lot of bouncing around in a day too.

And why Glenfiddich distillery? There are others in the area and very many of them put out better product.
Old Apr 10th, 2018, 12:04 PM

"Aberdeen is an industry town that grew up on the oil industry."

That is just not true: Aberdeen is a city with over 1000 years of history .
Old Apr 10th, 2018, 01:32 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Kristina: >>1 night near Dufftown
1 night near Glenfiddich?<<

Glenfiddich is IN Dufftown . . . so it wouldn't be 2 different nights

jptj: Yes, Aberdeen has history and some sites -- but I would not spend a night of this itinerary there

BigRuss>>And why Glenfiddich distillery? There are others in the area and very many of them put out better product.<<

Yes - there are better whiskies, but the Glenfiddich distillery tour is one of the best if one just wants 'a' distillery. Drinking better product in Edinburgh is fine, bt I wouldn't have any problem recommending Glenfiddich to tour.

LL0ry: I would do Stirling as a day trip by train from Edinburgh and skip Scone Palace. Then you will have time for Falkland and St Andrews without such mad rushing about. Then visit Glamis en route to Dunnottar. Stay that night either in Stonehaven or someplace like Bancory. Skip Balmoral for sure -- you can only visit one room - even IF it is open. It closes for the season on July 31 and we don't know your exact dates. Craigievar or Fraser would be better than Balmoral

Peterhead is really in the wrong direction. I'd skip Duff House and peterhead unless there are family connections of some sort.

With a 9AM flight you will have to stay VERY near the airport -- and you need time to drop the car. Maybe stay that night in Nairn. Everything will take longer than you may imagine - the driving, the site visits, meals, etc. So you really don't have an 'extra' day.
Old Apr 11th, 2018, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Gleinfiddich is one of the "good" available here in Montréal so it is nice to visit something we know. We will surely discover new things while in Scotland and may be fit more distillery visits if we come accross some with free time.
Janisj: I had 1 evening and one morning in St-Andrews, how long would you stay there?

does this seem more feasible?
July 25th to 27 Edinburgh
July 28Th Stirling
29th Falkland Palace and ST-andrews
30th Glamis Castle and Dunnotar
31th Fraser or Craigievar, Braemar.
1st gleinfiddich and something on the way to Nairn
2nd catch plane.

This does seems more slow paced by our standards but surely will allow us to wander away from the itinerary, which is appreciated as my previous plan felt like an organised tour. But, we are nervous we might have "too much time" on our hand without knowing what to do with it, as it is kinda countryside as opposed to a city, mostly in the evening. Can I guess there will always be a good place to drink a beer near?

Also, on the 28th there are the highland games in St-Andrews. this could be something to see? I wasn't able to fit it efficiently to be in st-andrews on the 28th AND see Stirling. Is it Worth the detour (switchign Stirling and St-Andrews)?

Last edited by LL0ry; Apr 11th, 2018 at 09:55 AM.
Old Apr 11th, 2018, 11:26 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>I had 1 evening and one morning in St-Andrews, how long would you stay there?<<

Damn site went down briefly so I lost my post -- the autosave only saved the quote.

One night is fine, It will be light very late so you can see he Old Course, beaches, wander around in the evening, and visit the castle in the morning at opening time. The Cathedral ruins (a must) are very near the castle so you can hit both in an hour or 1.5 hours in the morning.

I wouldn't bother with Braemar really - maybe hit Huntly castle en route to Dufftown, and then on to Nairn.

To simplify things just a bit I'd probably stay in Edinburgh the 25th through the 28th and go to Stirling by train any one of those days. Then collect your car on the 29th - out at EDI is the easiest and from there is is less than an hour to Falkland. So you'll have time after Falkland to hit one or two of the fishing villages (Crail, Anstruther, Pittenweem) en route to St Andrews.