Reload this Page >

Day trips in Greece? What to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2000, 07:18 AM
Nino

Hi, <BR>I'll be travelling to Athens next September and need some help for choosing the best cities to visit around the city. I've booked the hotel in Athens so day-trips will be the only option here. <BR>Thanks, <BR>Nino

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 05:54 AM
Paulo

I've no experience doing side trips on public transportation. Anyway, the most popular one is Delphi. People without a car take one of the various organized tours available. Most of these, though, spend a relatively small time at the site (time is lost for lunch in a touristy restaurant, at a store, etc). There are also organized bus daytrips to Epidaurus and Micenae. One other site that may be visited on a half-day side bus tour is the Temple of Poseidon at Sounion. Finally, there are full day cruises from the Piraeus in the Saronic Gulf (Aegina, Poros and Hydra). You may also visit one or two of these islands on your own by taking ferries/hydrofoils. Also on your own (by bus or taxi) you may visit the Monasteries in Daphne and Kessariani. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR>

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 07:02 PM
Mary

If I had only a day or so, I would... <BR>1. Of course, see the Acropolis <BR>2. Go to Delphi - this is an interesting drive and to be quite honest, you don't need A LOT of time at the site -- it is on the side of a mountain and the only reason you need a lot of time is because the walk up to each site is so strenuous if you're not in shape, you'll be resting at each one! <BR>3. The Temple of Poseidon at Cape Sounion (sp?) is 30-45 minutes from Athens by car. We drove down and back in the early evening. <BR> <BR>I would recommend renting a car to do these things, as you can come/go as you please. Driving in Athens is a bit hairy and the maps the tourist office (and rental company) gave were not the best, but we survived and found our way. <BR> <BR>Email me if you want particulars.

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 11:29 AM
carol

When we were in Greece we took CHAT Tours which we booked from the hotel. They were about $60 a day and pick you up and drop you off at the hotel and you have a meal included. The buses were nice and the Greek countryside was so beautiful. he guides speak many languages and are so knowledgeable. I can't imagine going to those historic sites without a guide. We learned so much. We visited Delphi for a day and it was incredible. We also went to Corinth Canal and Epidaurus and Mycenae. We enjoyed each of the tours and were amazed at how much history those guides know. Cape Sounion is beautiful at sunset. Have a great time. I loved it there. <BR>

Old Sep 2nd, 2000, 03:54 AM
topper