Search

Day trips from Venice and Rome

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2017, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day trips from Venice and Rome

Hello!
My mom and I will be traveling to Venice and Rome in November, and I'm looking for suggestions for day trips from both cities

Also. I have a hotel in Venice, but would love recommendations for Rome (250/night range).

Thanks so much!
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 11:16 AM

How long are you in each city?
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 11:18 AM

250 what? US dollars? Euros? British pounds? Bat?

How many days will you be in each city and how will you travel on these daytrips? What kind of daytrips do you envision from each place? Seaside? Mountains? Cities? Villages? What do you want to do? The possibilities are pretty endless, so you need to get a lot more specific.
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 12:27 PM

Take a day trip from Rome to Pompeii, an amazing place: https://www.seat61.com/places-of-int...to-pompeii.htm

But make sure you spend enough time in Rome and Venice, you could spend weeks in both places.
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

250 USD. I'm in each city 4 nights. I'm open to anything. I know what day trips are possible, just looking for personal favorites/recommendations.
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 12:58 PM

Padua/Padova is an easy trip from Venice - 20 minutes or so by train. The Scrovegni Chapel is stunningly beautiful (purchase your tickets online in advance) and the 16th century anatomical theatre at the Palazzo Bo is not to be missed.
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 01:11 PM

Venice - a day in the outer islands - Torcello and its colony of feral cats everywhere and very quiet- Burano - and Murano (closest and overrun with tourists flocking to its Murano glass factories) and the cemetery island.

I especially like Torcello and its garden-like kind of sleepy rural atmosphere:

https://www.google.com/search?q=torc...w=1920&bih=950

Cities - Vincenza and its Palladium architecture and sweet old town center.

Padua - for its churches and shrines in them.

Rome - Pompeii is of course great but 3 hrs or so each way by trains-Ostia Antica -ancient Rome's port - to me and many rivals it in scope and nicer because it is not as overrun with tourists-short metro ride from central Rome:

https://www.google.com/search?q=osti...w=1920&bih=950

Favorite day trip - Tivoli and Hadrian's Villa - take train or bus to Tivoli - nice but unexceptional regional city but with some Roman relics and the Villa d'Este's splish-splashing playful water gardens and lavish villa some fat-cat Catholic bishops built for their pleasure.

https://www.google.com/search?q=vill...w=1920&bih=950

Then hop a bus back towards Rome and stop by Hadrian's Villa - large Roman ruins of the luxurious villa and lavish other temples, water ponds, etc surrounding it Emperor Hadrian built as a country retreat - great rural setting:

https://www.google.com/search?q=hadr...w=1920&bih=950

Finally Orvieto -quintessential Italian hill city: https://www.google.com/search?q=orvi...w=1920&bih=950

I've done just about every conceivable day trip from each of a tourist nature but those are my favorites.
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 01:14 PM

We have stayed at Hotel Genio in Rome several times and have been very pleased with it. It is four-stars and is located right at Piazza Navona. There is a wonderful rooftop terrace with great views.

Day trips to Pompeii as well as to Padua (from Venice, of course) would be fun.
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 01:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally, akvaughn, I wouldn't take any day trips. You'll have no trouble filling your 3 days with sightseeing in both cities and still may not see/do all that you hoped. But I would definitely visit at least one of the islands near Venice mentioned by PalenQ.

Depending on how late in November you'll be there, it could be fairly dark before 5:00p. With fewer daylight hours I definitely wouldn't want to spend much time in the morning sitting on a train, so if I decided to day-trip I would see how far away some of these suggested towns are. For example, Verona is more than an hour each way from Venice, Ferrara about 90 minutes. Naples and Orvieto are each more than an hour from Rome. Plus you spend time everywhere getting to/from train stations. If you're morning people, you can obviously start the day very early, but have a plan if you arrive before things are open.
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 06:44 PM

You can plan out day trips ahead of time: how to do it, where, when, etc. Then, play it by ear, see what the weather is like and decide the night before or the day of, what you will do.

If painting, especially early development of religious, aesthetic and emotional expression combined is of interest, frescos in the Scrovegni Chappel in Padova may appeal to you. The city is also quite beautiful. It seems spacious, with wide streets and large buildings compared with the narrow compact spaces of Venice and many other Italian cities. I wish I had noted the fabulous restaurants we ate in, but did not.

Burano is so pretty and unique and tiny for walking around, and if the weather is nice, it is a lovely trip on the lagoon. It is a one of a kind little fishing village island, very colorful and picturesque. It can be a lazy, kind of romantic place if you walk a block away from the tiny center to a side canal. A shower would be OK, but I would not enjoy it in a downpour.

Vicenza is one of my personal favorite places. The city center is lovely and the Palladian architecture is wonderful. It is worth the trip just for the Teatro Olimpico, which IMHO, is spatial perfection. The incredible beauty of such a simple space combined with the amazing visuals of the stage stunned me to silence - not easy to do. If you do go to Vicenza, check ahead for opening hours of different buildings. They are very limited. They have a great market with local products. Check for the days and times.

With so many things to see and do in Venice, you may not want to leave.
Two places that may be overlooked when people have limited time are the very interesting Synagogues in the Jewish Ghetto (take a tour) and the marble church, Santa Maria dei Miracoli, which is unforgettable. It always seems a little hard to find, but is well worth the effort.
There are also often concerts in the evening in magnificent churches, sometimes even free.
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 07:25 PM

Most of my recs have been covered: plenty to do and see in Venice, and I hope you spend time in Cannaregio area (good food and drink; Aperol Spriz is a great aperitif).

Day trips from Venice -- Padua for art/Scrovegni Chapel; Verona for walkable center, amphitheater, history. But Torcello/Burano is a lovely close-in day trip.

From Rome (I like WRW Trastevere--cross between an apartment and a b&b) in Trastevere for around $110/night, or Albergo del Senato (next to Pantheon) which is of course more pricey but should be lower rate for your dates.

A nice day trip from Rome if you want to see a hill town is Orvieto as mentioned above--can go by train, take funicular up. But again, plenty to do/see Rome.

Have a wonderful trip!
Old Jul 18th, 2017, 10:00 AM

We even took a trip a few hours by train to Trieste - for something really different - an Austrian-Italian feel and a historic city!
Old Jul 18th, 2017, 10:01 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
With only 4 nights in Venice and 4 nights in Rome I would not do any "day trips". That's barely enough time to see the highlights of the central areas of each city.
Old Jul 18th, 2017, 11:12 AM

Have you been to either Rome or Venice? If not, then take the advice of Sassafrass and suze. One could stay busy in Rome for 4 or 5 days. Venice is just beautiful.

How are you traveling between these cities? If by train, stop off in (Firenze) Florence on your way.
Old Jul 18th, 2017, 11:54 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
4 nights will fly by. I can't imagine any "day trip" that would be more interesting than what you would see just by staying in the cities you have chosen to visit and looking around.
Old Jul 18th, 2017, 12:02 PM

I think close by day trips like Ostia Antica and the outer islands of Venice are really part of a Rome or Venice stay and day trips can be left in flux - no need to pre-arrange anything for most- if you feel like you've seen enough of say Venice in a few days do a day trip - if not stay in Venice proper-ditto for Rome.

So play it by ear.
Old Jul 18th, 2017, 12:08 PM

Totally agree with Tivoli, Orvieto and Ostia Antica. We chose to alternate a day in Rome with a day trip outside and enjoyed all these. Villa d'Este in Tivoli is one of my favorite places anywhere!
Old Jul 18th, 2017, 12:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is just so uncanny because Elaine Gucci and I will be in Orvieto on October 19!

If you see us you can wave. We won't be all Anna Wintour towards you.

We will probably be the only tourists in Orvieto wearing full-length mink coats with matching YSL Emmanuelle bags.

Thin
Old Jul 18th, 2017, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all your feedback! This is my first trip to Italy so I need all the advice I can get!
Old Jul 18th, 2017, 05:06 PM

It's a good idea to get the advice, nod your head and consider it so you know all your options.

Then just do whatever you feel like doing. Have a splendid trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -