Day trips from Rapallo Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2006, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be in Rapallo for a week starting August 28th and was hoping to get some ideas for 'must do' day trips and the best way to do these efficiently. We like ferries, trains and a moderate amount of walking.
Also, some pointers re really good restaurants in Rapallo and vicinity would be welcome.
Finally, we are also thinking of spending a day in Genoa. What do you recommend we try to fit in this one visit?

Thanks.
Suzanne

Old Aug 25th, 2006, 07:57 AM

Hi Suzanne - Lots of nice possibilities.

Santa Margherita - ferry one way, bus the other, perhaps?

Portofino - ferry one way, bus the other.

San Fruttuoso - ferry from Portofino, walk the other.
Or ... ferry from Rapallo or S. Margherita.

Camogli - bus one way (- from S. Margherita - very scenic ride), ferry the other.

Cinque Terre - train or ferry. You could hike between two or more of the villages ...

Portovenere? Finale Ligure/ Noli?

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Old Aug 25th, 2006, 08:34 AM

Most of the seaside resort towns along the Ligurian coastline are not all that different from Rappallo, although they vary as to the number of tourists they get and how expensive they are. Portofino is the most luxurious and touristy; Santa Margherita Ligure, Lerici and Portovenere are more mid-range (smaller yachts!); the Cinque Terre are now quite touristy and filled with backpackers. Camogli is the least touristed, and from there you can catch a boat to San Fruttouso and see the abbey. Sestri Levante has simple charms and its quiet bays are where Italians take their children.

I highly recommend a day trip into Genoa, which used to be a prime tourist destination (for the British especially) and only recently has come back to people's attention. It is the least visited city in northern Italy as far as I can tell.

Will you have a car? If so, you might want to take a trip up to Sarzana, Varese Ligure or up into the Apuan Alps for a real change of pace from your seaside location. If you drive, I recommend exploring areas near or in Tuscany rather than those between Genova and France.

It is hard to go wrong eating almost anywhere in Liguria. The food is impeccably fresh and the olive oil is fantastic. There is a local wine called Vermentino which is rather salty but unusually good with the local seafood and pastas (with pesto).

The glory of Liguria is just to relax, so don't try to pack too much in. When you get to Rapallo, find out where the local ferries go, and follow your nose. The first time I went to Liguria I had a list of things to do. I ended up spending all my time on the terrace of my hotel, snoozing and reading, and having marvelous meals. I go back every year.

Old Aug 25th, 2006, 09:01 AM

We just got back from Rapallo. Everything that Steve James and Nessundorma said was right on. The best restaurant in Rapallo is a Pizzeria called Bella Napoli, it is very close to the Excelsior. Phone number is 0185-56683. The trofie al pesto is divine.The bucatinni is also to die for. Sorry if my spelling is incorrect.There were only Italians there the night we were there.
WARNING.That area is having an outbreak of MEDUSAS(jellyfish).My daughter was stung horribly on the backs of her legs. We had to cancel our trip to the Cinque Terre that day because we had to go to the local doctor.Wow what an ordeal that was.My husband got stung also, but he could handle the pain.Other people got stung also.So be careful. I loved Rapallo, have fun!
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 09:15 AM

Did you happen to see the Grand Hotel Bristol when you were in Rapello, and if so what did you think of it? What is it you liked, or felt the advantages were, of basing in Rapello vs. one of the 5 towns like Monterroso or Vernazza, or maybe even Santa Margherita Ligure? We are in the process of deciding which place to stay for 2 nights in Oct. Thanks
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks to all who replied for the useful tips.

Suzanne
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 04:37 PM

mulifat
I did not see the Hotel Bristol. It depends on what you want to do.Rapallo is 45 minutes by train to Monterosso.I had researched Monterosso for months.I had wanted to try some restaurants and rent a Zodiak from Kate at [email protected] We had a zodiak rented.But plans got changed when my 9 year old was stung by jellyfish.It depends on what you want to do.If its the Cinque Terre than stay in the Cinque Terre.If its Portofino,Santa Margherita than Rapallo is good.The previous responses sound good.Kate's husband Fabio is in charge of the Zodiaks, his number is 328-842-6886.Sorry I couldn't give you more info.