Day trips from Perugia

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 11:45 AM
Chris

Day trips from Perugia

Are either Norcia or Spoleto close enough to Perugia that they are viable and/or worthwhile daytrips? If so, how long does it take to get to either by car?

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 03:03 PM
Surlok

Chris,

Spoleto is doable as a day trip from Perugia. We've done it by car, but I don't quite recall how long it took. Surely no less than 40 mins, and not more than 1 and a half hour.

It's a lovely medieval town, and I liked it better than Orvieto or Gubbio, which is also doable(Gubbio) as a day trip.

Regards,

Surlok

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 03:29 PM
Diane

You could drive to Chiusi for the Etruscan Museum and walk around that delightful little town -- meaning the old centro. If you can stay for dinner (it really isn't that long a drive back) eat at La solita Zuppa. Let the owner guide you through the menu. It is delightful, and a great Tuscan food extravaganza.

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 03:40 PM
KT

I just happen to have a Touring Club Italy guidebook withme that includes a driving itinerary for the Valle Umbra, from Perugia to Spoleto and back. The route they give is Perugia-Assisi-Spello-Spoleto-Montefalco-Bevagna-Perugia. and it's 153 km. Definitely worth it for a day trip.

I haven't been to Norcia, but from my reading, there's definitely less to see there than in Spoleto. However, I think it would be a good trip for the food alone!

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 04:02 PM
Helen Donegan

Hi Chris
Spoleto is a straightforward drive for Perugia - 40 minutes down a dual carriageway, well - two that are linked (I think they are called freeways in the US).

Norcia is another story - 50 kilometres from Spoleto climbing a windy mountain road. It is well worth the effort and still "do-able" from Perugia.

I life in Perugia if you need any more help.