day trips from Oslo

Search

day trips from Oslo

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2005, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
day trips from Oslo

Can anyone suggest any good day trips from Oslo? I was originally thinking Gothenburg, Sweden, but that seems a little far to me. I am interested in somewhat well-known, decent-sized cities, but it might be better just to head to somewhere in the Oslo fjord region. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Old May 1st, 2005, 11:59 PM
Original Poster

topping
Old May 2nd, 2005, 12:16 AM
OT

How long have you got? Flying into Gardermoen?

Would be easier to suggest anything if you could some details on your travel itinerary.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 01:30 AM
Original Poster

Sorry ... thanks very much.

I have two nights and three full days; flying in to Torp on RyanAir really early on a Saturday, leaving very late on a Monday, May 21-23. I probably will not even have time for a day trip or even part of a day trip, but I'd like to keep my options open to just check.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 03:15 AM

You could make a daytrip to Lillehammer 2,5 hours away with the train, most shops will be closed on a Sunday but walking the main street and visiting Maihaugen open-air museum would be fine.

Sunday you could visit Tusenfryd amusement park just outside Oslo. Not that big, but if it’s what you like then the wooden rollercoaster would be good.

On Monday you could take the train to Tønsberg town before you leave. It’s just north of Torp airport and the harbour area is lively on a sunny day.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 09:25 AM

My top pick would be a "cruise" roundtrip to Drobak, a very charming white wooden house village located just at the seaside at the point where the Oslo Fjord is on its slimmest, and with views in direction Oscarsborg, the bastion from where the German Warship "Blücher" was sunk by torpedos at april 9th 1940.
Drobak also claims to be Santa Claus' hometown. In sharp competition with some menor Finnish town, thoough.
Anyway: The cruise is by an ordinary (and nice) ferry which traffics the Oslo Drobak twice a day some of the days in the week. At least sunday at 11 from Oslo (Aker Brygge). I am not by-heart on the detailed schedule, but you'll find out.
The "cruise" spends 1.5-2 hours on its way to Drobak, including 7-9 short stops at different pittoresque "harbors". Enjoy! Price is at the public transport level, i.e. no fortune.
A good idea could be to spend so much time in Drobak that you miss your ferry return. No problem: Take the bus, which within some 45 minutes will bring you back to your origin.
Happy travel!!
Bjorn, Oslo
Old May 3rd, 2005, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

topping ... thanks for the comments so far.