Day Trips from Monte Carlo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need help! Any advice would be great. Here is what I am thinking for 2 different day trips out of Monte Carlo by way of train and/ or bus.
Day 1: Vence, Saint Paul Vence, Grasse, Mougins, Vallauris & Golfe Jean
Day 2: Juan-lesPins, Antibes, Cagnes-Sur-Mer
Villefrance, St. Jean-Cap-Ferrat & Beauliesur-mer
We have a total of 8 days and hope to spend an entire day in Nice, a day in Saint Tropez, a day on the Italian Riviera...
Are the above itineraries reasonable? Thanks for any tips!!!
We leave in 1 week.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 09:44 AM

That's a very ambitious itinerary! Trying to visit Vence etc. in one day will take a great deal of endurance--and if you're going in the summer, I don't think you can manage to see everything, given the traffic. You'd be wise to split the Day l schedule into 2 days. Ditto for Day 2: again, just too much for one day.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 09:46 AM

Where are you going on the Italian Riviera? Are you planning to rent a car?

Also, are you planning to visit Eze?

(I've never used public transportation in the area, so I can't advise about your itinerary as posted.)
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 10:17 AM

Unless you have a reason for basing at Monte Carlo I can guarantee you would enjoy a base in Nice, Beaulieu sur Mer or Villefranche sur Mer much more. All the places you want to visit can be done easily from Nice and most on trains and buses. The distances are all close except St.Tropez which is impractical from either Monte Carlo or Nice area. Monte Carlo is an easy daytrip or evening trip from Nice area and in a few hours you can pretty much do what there is to do in Monte Carlo.

Have a great time in my second favorite part of France.

Larry J
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

I am so grateful for the feedback!
1. We have an apartment on loan in Monte Carlo...so that is why we are based there.
2.We have been advised to NOT rent a car due to the high season traffic. However, I thought it might be wise to rent a car for 2 days -(1) Italian Riviera: San Remo, Imperia...?
(2) St. Tropez drive on a Saturday w/ an early departure time.
3. Yes, I had hoped to visit Eze & La Turbie in one day.
We are fairly experienced travelers and yet I can't seem to get a grasp on itineraires for this region. I guess the worst thing that can happen is we miss someplace and have to go back-oh shucks!
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 10:49 AM

Two critical changes to your itinerary: 1) home base in Nice, and 2) add a day to your daytripping and aim for three stops max each. As far as the Italian Riviera, what do you want to see? San Remo? Ventimiglia?

I have to say this: looking for advice on the whole itinerary A WEEK PRIOR? Trying to change plans now may very well be an exercise in futility. All Paris is on their way South, planning to arrive just as the same time you do.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 11:53 AM

I highly recommend that instead of visiting the coastal towns of the Italian Riviera, that you swing just a few miles inland and visit the spectacular hilltown of Apricale. (Look up some pictures on the web). On the way to Apricale, there is a town just down the hill called Dolceacqua, where you can have a nice lunch before proceeding to Apricale. Also in the area (but further up into the mountains) are the hilltowns of Perinaldo and Baiardo (which have stunning views) and Pigna, which is famous for its centuries-old architecture. This would be an all day trip.

Another possibility is the town of Bussana Vecchia, not far from the French border. It was totally destroyed by an earthquake in the 19th c. and abandoned by its inhabitants. Within the past 25 years, groups of European artists, mainly from the UK, have reclaimed the town, fashioning art galleries and restaurants out of the ruins of the old town (which they have shored up with reinforcements).

The most attractive towns on the coast are Bordighera and, much further, Cervo (which a very agreeable lunch destination if you start out early from Monte Carlo). But in general, the Italian seaside between the French border and Genova is not as pretty as it is beyond Genova (toward Pisa/Livorno), while seeing the Ligurian hilltowns makes for some very unusual and charming sightseeing, and a real change from the Mediterranean.

Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:57 AM

I'm assuming you are driving to St. Tropez. Decide before hand if you want to explore along the way, or if you are set on just getting to St. Trop. If you take the scenic routes, it will take you through some beautiful beach towns with fantastic sites. But, it will probably take you at least 3hours (without much traffic). If you want to just get to St. Trop take the highways.
Also, I would add some time for Cannes. About 30 minutes drive from Monte Carlo.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 03:45 AM

Ok. Here comes my advise:

Go to those places from east to west:

Eze Village
St jean Cap Ferrat (a peninsula close to Nice).
Then the "old" Nice.
Then go to Saint Paul de Vence.
Then go to eat to the village of Mougins, you will love it. (very romantic)

This is the perfect trip. (dont go to Vence or la Turbie...)
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 08:25 AM

I think jlo already went and came. Right? Jlo?