Day Trips From Manchester

Sep 14th, 1997, 11:11 AM
Judy Worthy

Day Trips From Manchester

I'll be spending a week in Manchester, England. Vacation for me; work for my husband. Any suggestions for day trips on public transportation or cautions on traveling alone?

Sep 14th, 1997, 03:15 PM
Ron Perry

Hi Judy, I live in the Peak National Park which is just 30 miles south east of Manchester. Don't miss it! Either take a train (every hour, journey time 55 mins) from Manchester Picadilly station to BUXTON (old Georgian spa town, good hill scenery) or even take a bus (service 'TP' from Chorlton Street every 2 hours from 9.15 am) to the lovely old market town of BAKEWELL - the journey takes 1h 35m but its worth it! Plenty of homely old pubs/restaurants to eat at. Don't worry about travelling alone on public transport out of town - its no problem. Have a good trip!
Regards, Ron.

Sep 15th, 1997, 04:12 AM
Gareth

I do agree that the Liverpool, my hometown, is only about an hour on the train from Manchester, and trains leave about every half an hour. Once there there's alot to do in the City centre itself. For example, there is all the stuff to do with the Beatles, a number of excellent museums, the Maritime Museaum, which highlights Liverpool's role as a port, in particular its role in the slave trade, and immigrants to the US. All these things are within walking distance of each other. If there's anything else you'd like to know please get in touch. Hope you have a good trip.

Sep 15th, 1997, 04:14 AM
Gareth

I do agree about the Peak District, but Liverpool, my hometown, is worth seeing and is only about an hour on the train from Manchester, and trains leave about every half an hour.

Once there there's alot to do in the City centre itself. For example, there is all the stuff to do with the Beatles, a number of excellent museums, the Maritime Museaum, which highlights Liverpool's role as a port, in particular its role in the slave trade, and immigrants to the US.And the bonus is that all these things are within walking distance of each other. If there's anything else you'd like to know please get in touch. Hope you have a good trip.

Sep 16th, 1997, 07:28 AM
Brian Wallace

Go to Wigan. You can visit the Wigan Pier, have a drink in the George Orwell Pub and, best of all, visit the Abacrombie Mill (everything's at the same location) which has been converted into a museum of the Industrial Revolution, with all of the cotton industry machines that are run for the spectators. This certainly is a highly unusual day trip and one that is strongly recommended. If you have kids it will be especially educational for them.

Next, go to Chester, about an hour or less by train. It's a great little city with some of the best examples of 17th to 19th century architecture you will find in England-a very popular attraction for British tourists. Loads of shops. Also Roman ruins.

Go to Blackpool for the day, if you want totally tacky. This is the quintessential English seaside resort, with the famous Blackpool Tower, lots of stores selling the worst kind of tourist junk and half a million fish and chip shops. This is about
an hour from Manchester. Have a nice time. (This is from a transplanted Mancunian living most of my life in Los Angeles.)