Day trips from Madrid

Search

Day trips from Madrid

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2023, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day trips from Madrid

Boy, do I need travel help! We fly into Madrid on Sept. 30th. Then 3 full days in Madrid before traveling to Barcelona (meeting family). After landing, my husband wants to take the train to Granada and Cordoba area. Stay 3 full days in that region then take train from Cordoba to Barcelona. Seems like a lot of time spent traveling. I'm suggesting day trips from Madrid for 3 days then fly to Barcelona. Because we are returning to Madrid to fly home, we will then spend time seeing the city. Suggestions for day trips from Madrid via train? Yes, we both want to visit the Andalucia region, but we are not the hurry up and check it off the list travelers. Your thoughts? Thank you in advance for your time and advice.
Old Apr 5th, 2023, 11:32 AM

Day trips will also require a lot of travel time as opposed to taking trains to Granada/Cordoba. If you will have plenty of time at the end of your trip to see Madrid, I would vote with your husband and go to Granada and Cordoba especially since you don't have specific day trips you have been looking forward to doing. It takes about and hour and 45 minutes to get to Cordoba. I would go there and spend a night or, ideally, two nights. Another hour and a half train ride will take you to Granada where you can spend a couple of nights.

How were you planning to get from Madrid to Barcelona? You can fly or train from Granada to Barcelona.
Old Apr 5th, 2023, 11:56 AM
twk

Do you mean that you have 3 full days following your arrival day, or 3 full days counting your arrival day. If the latter, you really don't have time for a trip south. If the former, then Cordoba or Granada sound more feasible. As noted, you could fly from Granada to Barcelona.

At any rate, if you do decide to do daytrips from Madrid, I did Toledo and El Escorial and would recommend them both. But, if you have plenty of time for Madrid at the end of the trip, you might consider staying overnight in Toledo rather than making a daytrip.
Old Apr 5th, 2023, 12:04 PM

When you say three full days in Madrid at the beginning, are you including arrival day, September 30 or will you have three full days after that, then another day to get to Barcelona, so five days altogether (2 for travel, 3 for sightseeing)? What time do you land on the 30th?
When you depart Barcelona, excluding day to return to Madrid and departure day home, how many whole days will you have in between?
Old Apr 6th, 2023, 03:06 AM
Original Poster

Yes, three full days after arrival day. I'm putting Granada back into itinerary. Y'all have helped me make the decision and again, thank you.