Day trips from London

Mar 29th, 2001, 05:59 PM
Cassandra

Day trips from London

Hi, I will be in London in early September and mid October before a tour and was wondering what you would recommend as a day trip from London? Thinking about Oxford, Cambridge, Windsor, Stratford-Upon-Avon etc.
Which do you think is the most worth it?

Mar 29th, 2001, 06:26 PM
kam

Canterbury or Bath, but you'll find a wealth of information on this forum if you do a search. Pick somewhere within 1 1/2 hours via train.

Mar 30th, 2001, 06:08 AM
elaine

Hi
I have a file on London that includes quite a bit of info on easy daytrips; if you'd like to see it, email me
Recommendations would depend on your interests and how many days you will have in London. For example, if you'll only have 3 days in London, I would not take one of them to do a daytrip.

Mar 30th, 2001, 06:39 AM
DSK

I would difinatly do Windsor/Hampton Court. This can be done in a coach tour with a company like Evan-Evans or via train. Winsor is the oldest inhabited castle and the town is nice too.

Mar 30th, 2001, 08:57 AM
David White

Cassandra,

There are really two groups of day trips from London.

close-in places like Greenwich, Hampton Court, Windsor/Eton, and Kew that you can easily reach in 30 minutes or so from central London

places like Bath, Oxford, Cambridge, York, Stratford-upon-Avon that are further afield, but reachable by train in 1-2 hours.

If your time is limited, stick close to London. Windsor/Eton is a great day trip with the famous castle and the interesting Thames river towns of Windsor and Eton. Hampton Court is also worth half of a day--the palace and gardens are great. Greenwich has a good nautical museum, the facinating old Royal Observatory, etc.

If you have more time, and don't mind a longer trip, it is certainly possible to get to Bath, Cambridge, and Oxford in just about an hour by train from London.

The medieval walled city of York, and the famous Stratford-upon-Avon both are 2+ hours from London by train. That begins to stretch the limit of a comfortable day trip, but you could visit either if the length of travel is not a concern.

Which is most worth it? If I had to pick one from each group, it would be Windsor for close-in; Bath for medium length, and York for longer distance. But ALL of these destinations are good choices.

Regards,

David White
http://www.KidsToLondon.com

Mar 30th, 2001, 04:36 PM
topper

upupup

Search this Thread