Day Trips from Granada

Search

Day Trips from Granada

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2017, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day Trips from Granada

Following a few days in Barcelona and then a week in Madrid, my wife and I are planning to stay in Granada for a week. This will be the "relaxing" portion of our journey - wandering Albaicin & Sacromonte; Alhambra and other sites; hanging out in plazas, etc.
We may get inspired to do a day trip or two to a place nearby....by bus or hiring a driver.

Any suggestions for such a destination?

Any recommended winery tours?

How would we go about hiring a driver for the day?

With regards....
Old Jul 12th, 2017, 05:34 AM

You don't say when you'll be there. Your hotel should be able to provide a driver. You might want to explore the Alpujarras, between Granada and the sea, or go right down to the sea at Nerja. Have a look at a guidebook to see which would be interesting to you.
Old Jul 12th, 2017, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

apologies.....we'll be there the last three weeks of September (2017)
Old Jul 12th, 2017, 05:53 AM

lovegranada(dot)com is a website I like for logistics in Granada. For some reason, today I can't access their website. If you can, there is a grid for taxi pricing for travel outside the city to help with pricing, at least. If I can link to it later, I will update.
Old Jul 12th, 2017, 06:28 AM

Second Bedar's suggestion of going down to the Med to Almuñécar or Nerja through the scenic A 4050 road known as the Moor's Sigh.

The name of this road from Granada down to the coast comes from the legenedary sigh of Boabdil, the last emir of Granada, when he at the mountain pass known as Puerto del Suspiro del Moro (The Moor's sigh pass), in 1492 for a last time had a look back upon the city now lost to the so called Catholic Monarchs. His mother shall then have said: "You cry like a woman over a city you couldn't defend as a man". Images from the road:
http://www.holavalencia.net/2010/02/...and-almunecar/

I can recommend many great restaurants in Nerja on the Málaga coast based on your preferences (traditional, chiringuito/beach restaurants, gourmet etc). I have a very soft spot for the chiringuitos, the freshest fish and Seafood, salads etc. in open air, and very popular also with locals: https://www.spain-holiday.com/Malaga...nt-restaurants

About Nerja: http://www.nerjatoday.com/

And perhaps visit the famous Nerja Caves, lived people here more than 30 000 years ago: http://cuevadenerja.es/en/
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 11:17 AM

Or, instead of heading south to the sea, you could head north to Baeza and Ubeda. Have a look.
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 12:24 PM

Malaga -I drove once from Malaga to Granada over the hills -took a few hours- Malaga is more than a beach town and a neat old city in its own right.
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 12:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Great info as we will be driving from Malaga to Granada in February. Any issues with that route then?
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 01:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
About 10 years ago, we drove north and then east from Malaga to Granada via an industrial estate round the back of Malaga airport because we missed the signs for Granada; probably a satnav would prevent this but we had to rely on some passing "locals" who turned out to be irish workmen. No, we never found out what they were doing there but we were grateful nonetheless.

On the way back we drove south and west so we went through the mountains and then hit the coast where we stopped at a beach restaurant and had a lovely lunch out in the November sunshine. There was a bit of snow on the tops but nothing serious; of course I can't say what it would be like in February.

one option would be to spend the first few days exploring Granada then hire a car to do day trips; some hotels like the one we stayed in [the Guadalupe] have cheap/er rates for the huge car park by the Alhambra.
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 01:20 PM

You may or may not know that trains between Barcelona and Madrid and from there to Granada could have discounts if you want to book (in stone) weeks beforehand-www.renfe.com is the Spanish rail site that continues to flummox many novice users (you I assume may be a veteran of this but not sure and for others...)- www.seat61.com is a great site for help with this -for general info I also like www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

Sometimes first class discounted may not be that much more expensive than 2nd class - if so IMO it is worth the extra price if not too much.
Old Jul 24th, 2017, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all.