Reload this Page >

day trips from Florence

Search

day trips from Florence

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2000, 11:11 AM
kathie

day trips from Florence

What would be reasonable day trips from Florence as our base? Not sure if we should rent a car or bus, please advise. <BR>Also should we take a train from Rome to Florence or rent a car to see more of area?

Old Dec 29th, 2000, 11:20 AM
Tom

In April we took a day trip to Pisa via the train and loved it. The cost of the train ride round-trip was something like $6.00 per person! Have fun!!

Old Dec 29th, 2000, 11:29 AM
Bob

I am a believer of renting a car and enjoying the small towns. We do that each time in Europe. We use the subways and public transportation in the large cities. You do not want a car in Rome. Get the car when Rome trip is complete and drive to Florence. The autostrada can be fast and they take Visa on the tollways. Just insert the card and grab your receipt. <BR> <BR>Day Trips from Florence: Siena is a nice, easy day trip. We based there and did day trip to Florence so reverse is no problem. There are also a lot of great drives in the area north of Siena, south of Florence and either east or west. Nice exploring and pretty drives.

Old Dec 29th, 2000, 11:38 AM
Lesli

Siena is doable as a day trip (easiest by bus), but it is lovely to stay after the crowds leave and enjoy dinner and a late-night stroll there. <BR> <BR>Lucca is also an easy day-trip by bus, and well worth seeing. (Walk the walls and peek into the gardens below.) <BR> <BR>I also enjoyed Orvieto (by train, with a funicular ride and shuttle bus to the town center.) The frescos in the chapel of the Duomo there are outstanding. <BR> <BR>And although it's just on the hills above Florence, Fiosole is also worth a visit - about a 20-minute ride on the city bus. A wonderful ruined apitheater, where they still hold performances in warmer months, and two small museums. Beautiful views of the city below. <BR> <BR>A car is useful for some of the other hilltowns, but a true liability in Florence.

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 01:04 AM
Jon

Kathie: <BR>I would add Assisi, Perugia and Cortona to the list.