Reload this Page >

DAY TRIPS FROM FLORENCE?

Search

DAY TRIPS FROM FLORENCE?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 1999, 02:02 PM
Heather

DAY TRIPS FROM FLORENCE?

<BR>My husband & I have a week in Florence the end of January - since museum overload seems to be a problem, can anyone suggest some interesting day trips to take either by bus or train?

Old Jan 9th, 1999, 04:52 PM
Sally

Be sure to take a bus to San Gimignano.Also, It is very easy to rent a car from Hertz in Florence and drive into the Tuscan country.Fodor's has some lovely drives in their book on Florence and Tuscany.We have driven all over Tuscany- it is one of our favorite things to do. That way you can see so much more than on a bus or train.Last time we drove to Volterra, Lucca, Rocca d'Orcia,San Antimo monastery,Pienza and other lovely places.It is very easy to drive on the country roads- not crowded at all.

Old Jan 9th, 1999, 05:37 PM
Denise

I second the above posting. Do go to the old part of Lucca - it is a wonderful walled city. We drove there from further south and parked just inside the walls. Cheap coffee shop? Cnr Via Giustina and Via Galli Tassi. Woman inside was the friendliest we met in Tuscany - coffe and cake were both about Australian$7.00 - and that was for two people! Cheapest we found anywhere. Inside the shop is a big mural of a lovely bridge north of Lucca _the Devil's Bridge - went there too. Fantastic. Go to San Gimignano and Volterra on same day - not far apart. <BR>Both very special. Etruscan museum in Volterra if you can do another museum. Have fun, can I come too? <BR>Denise <BR>

Old Jan 9th, 1999, 05:44 PM
Karen

Pisa is just an hour and a half or so from Florence by train. The only attraction there is the Leaning Tower but there is a quaint street with plenty of interesting shops.

Old Jan 10th, 1999, 05:38 AM
elaine

<BR>I have three suggestions: <BR>Siena, Siena, Siena

Old Jan 16th, 1999, 06:13 AM
Katie

Take the #7 bus from the train station up to Fiesole, 20 min from Florence, beautiful views of Florence, Etruscan theater, museum, walking paths in the country etc. Also a great place to stay and take the bus down to Florence. <BR>You can also take the Sita (?) bus line <BR>to Siena, San Gimignano etc. inexpensive, clean, comfortable cruiser if you do not want to rent a car. If you rent a car it allows you to explore a lot of little hill towns that the train and bus do not visit. The only problem with a car is parking in Florence ugh!.

Old Jan 16th, 1999, 08:05 AM
richard j. vicek

Good morning, Heather <BR>As presiously mentioned, Siena and San <BR>Gim. are very excellnt places to see. <BR>Tour companys available thru your hotels <BR>concierge can make these tours available.The trip to Siena and San G. take all day with a stop for lunch on your own in Siena upon arrival. Afternoon tours go to Piza and return late afternoon. MOst of these tours if I remember leave from a location close to the train station. <BR>I also think Amerx also runs the same tours or uses the same operators... <BR>Richard of Hickory Hills, Il.....