Day trips from Budapest ?

Sep 5th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

Day trips from Budapest ?

Hello All,

My family is planning to visit Budapest again the coming January, and we will stay here for 7-9 nights.

Do you have any good places that worth to visit for a day trip ?

Will the weather be too cold at that time that hinder our day-trip ?

Hope to hear your suggestion.

Thanks.

Gavin
Sep 5th, 2013, 11:46 PM

Gavin, January will be cold. I'd try and visit indoor spas. Miscolc has a cave based one. Eger is normally nice in the centre.
Sep 6th, 2013, 02:16 AM

It will likely be cold... But not too much snow (let's hope). I am an American living in Budapest. Right now, I am visiting our kids in the United States. When I get home, I will seriously start doing some day trips. I blog about then at:

Www.centraleuropebeyondprague.com

I like Vac, a small Danube bend town.... It won't close in the winter like Szentendre might (a very short day trip).

Or you could visit all the baths ( I plan to focus on this when I get back).... There are a bunch of them thanks to our Turkish visitors and a ton of hot underground water...
Sep 6th, 2013, 06:17 AM

I was in Budapest this past January for 10 days and did a trip report with the several things we did and places we ate, but simce it was snowy we didn't do any day trips, but you're welcome to browse ---> http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...l_Hungary.html

Pjk
Sep 13th, 2013, 12:38 PM

Visit swimming pool (terms) I don't know how it is calle but there are some hot water terms in Slovakia and Hungary
Sep 14th, 2013, 06:09 AM

Hey PJK.. I glanced thru your trip report. I noticed you ate at 21. That family owns a few restaurants in town (and have for generations) and also owns my apartment. We live on the Danube on the Pest side near Margit Hid. Oddly, I have never eaten at any of their restaurants.

Kiraly bath is on the Buda side not too far from Margit Hid. I have heard great things about the Rudas baths (similar to Kiraly - old Turkish style). You can always find the old baths by looking for the turtle shell roof.
Sep 14th, 2013, 08:47 AM

We had a great lunch there on our first trip. We ate outside under an umbrella and shared salads and a bottle of wine. It was so nice that on a sunsequent trip we went for dinner. The conventional wisdom is to avoid restaurants in touristy areas, but at least 21 is an exception. We also tried Speiz but didn't think it was as good.

We'll be back next year for the wine festival

Pjk

Search this Thread