Search

Day trips from Basel?

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day trips from Basel?

Hello Everyone,

I'll be staying in Basel for 4 days and would like to know if anyone could suggest me ideas for daytrips from Basel?

So far I have:

Bern
Colmar

I have only been to Zurich three times and this is the first time that I'll be traveling throughout Switzerland. On this trip, I have 2 days in Zurich, 4 days in Basel. Traveling the first week of June.

Then I'll be taking the train from Basel back to Zurich to fly out to Prague.

(those of you who have read my other posts know why I'm flying instead of taking the train!!)

Thanks very much. ;-)
Old May 24th, 2009, 08:54 PM

Hi nancita,

I hope you give yourself enough time to enjoy this majestic and incredible city! With its history and architecture, it's a wonderful place to investigate and explore. What information do you already have?

Anyway, I liked the site of the Augusta Raurica, an outdoor museum built at the Roman ruins. It's just outside of Basel next to the Rhine:

www.augustaraurica.ch/e/menu/index.php

You may also want to see the Jura mountains, which few Americans (including me!) rarely get out to see. You can start your research here:

www.juratourisme.ch/e/home/

I also haven't been to Lake Biel yet though I researched it for one planned visit. There are vineyards along its banks and some wine trails too. Here's a link to start your research:

www.bielersee-tourismus.ch/d/

Finally, you may want to see Avenches, which also has some Roman ruins, and Murten (on Lake Murten), a lovely, little, preserved medieval town.

As usual, you'll run out of days waaaay before you run out of activities & outings!

Have fun!

s
Old May 24th, 2009, 08:55 PM

Ooops, that Bielersee site does not have English pages. Here are some in English:

http://www.biel-seeland.ch/e/excursi...&fid=32&cat=52

s
Old May 24th, 2009, 09:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Schaffhausen, Stein am Rhein, Bodensee, Appenzell, Luzern
Old May 24th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks swan!

I'll actually be back in Switzerland in August, so this quick trip in June is just for me to 'survey the area' before I return later in the summer.

I'll make a note of the places you've suggested and if I end up visiting there, I will post a trip report!

Thank you!
Old May 24th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Original Poster

Hi schuler!

Yes I have Schaffhausen, Stein am Rhein, and Luzern on my list.

Are they too far from Basel though?

I know they are ok for day trips from Zurich...but from Basel?

Train ride more than 2 hours each way for a day trip might be to far for me...but I will certainly note them for my return in August.

Thank you!
Old May 25th, 2009, 02:37 AM

Other options:

- On the German side: Freiburg (quaint town), even convenient access into the Black Forest by train.

- Spa towns in the foothills of the Black Forest: Bad Krozingen, Badenweiler.

- Vitra Design Museum in Weil am Rhein (almost a suburb of Basel).

- Fondation Beyeler in Riehen (modern art museum, nicely located).
Old May 25th, 2009, 06:09 AM

I can heartily recommend Freiburg; it is a beautiful city with a lively student population, a beautiful old Munster and a market in the town square. The Augustinermuseum is worth seeing and there is a microbrewery called Feierling that has a nice beer garden.
Old May 25th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Hi traveller and minnehappy!

Thanks for the recommendation to Freiburg...yes I heard it is a beautiful city. Many years ago when I was a college undergrad, I had a graduate teaching assistant who was from Freiburg. It was my second German class at the time. I remember every Friday our class would have Stammtisch at a local pub on campus, and the teacher assistant (our teacher) would tell us about his times in Freiburg. I knew it's a college town but I've never thought about visiting. I'm so glad that I might get a chance to visit there now.

Old May 25th, 2009, 12:01 PM

nancicita:

The train from Basel Bad to Freiburg takes 33 minutes and runs every hour!
Old May 25th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

wonderful traveller! Thank you!
Old May 25th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Is it possible to take a train from Basel SBB to Basel Bad?

How does one usually get there?

I heard it's actually walkable. But I wanted to see if taking a train/tram/bus would be faster.
Old May 25th, 2009, 01:17 PM

From Basel SBB to Freiburg the ICE takes 43 minutes. It runs 1 minute to Basel Bad and stays there for 9 minutes waiting for passengers to board. Depending on the location of your hotel, it might be faster to go directly to Basel Bad.
Old May 25th, 2009, 01:23 PM

Plenty to do right in the Basel area if you don't want to venture too far afield.

To get to the Basel Bad train station from Basel SBB--if you want to go by tram, take the number 2, it will get you there in about 10 minutes.

Other day trip options: catch a boat on the Rhine to Rheinfelden. Walk though the vineyards around Ettingen (a 20 minute ride on the number 10 tram, free if your hotel gives you the Basel transit card), taste the local wine at the friendly, welcoming Rebstock cafe.
Catch a number 10 tram to Leymen (you'll have to pay a little, the stops past Ettingen aren't covered by the hotel's free Basel transport pass), climb to the top of the hill to see the castle ruins there. If you go on Sunday (and you don't mind walking a couple of steep streets), enjoy Sunday lunch at La Couronne http://www.couronne-leymen.ch/franz/fs_restaurant.html way off the usual tourist trail.
Take in a free concert and stroll the botanical gardens at Bruglingen Park http://www.bogabrueglingen.ch/
If you go over to the Beyeler in Riehen, walk along the paths "behind" the museum with the rest of the locals in the morning or early evening. Very pretty views.

The most popular out of town day trip options are Luzern, Freiburg and Colmar. Lake Biel is a good choice as is exploring the Jura countryside, although poking around the Jura is easier with a car.
Old May 25th, 2009, 01:28 PM

http://www.freiburg.de/servlet/PB/me..._l2/index.html
Old May 25th, 2009, 01:29 PM

If you focus on the number 6 tram line, take it to Allschwil in the morning for a stroll around this pretty neighborhood with its half-timbered buildings http://starswebworx.lc-stars.com/swi.../Allschwil.htm then catch it to its other end--Riehen--to visit the Beyeler.
Old May 25th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much Passerine and traveller...

I will definitely go there now...can't wait to start using my camera...and I love museums and concerts!! Just wonderful!!
Old May 26th, 2009, 01:16 PM

nancicita:
My daughter spent her junior year of college studying in Freiburg.
She has accepted an au pair job back there beginning in September.
I hope to get back there to visit her.
We also visited Colmar, Strasbourg and many small villages in the Black Forest. It is a gorgeous area. Next time I hope to see Basel. A Bad is a good experience, although I think I commited a faux pas there and unknowingly stepped into a water jet out of sequence; it was like an exercise circuit and I didn't realize it until later. Have a great trip!
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 08:04 PM

Any suggestions / recommendations on Basel accommodation? Perhaps near a train station, but where we can experience some good local hospitality and culture?
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 11:14 PM

Strasbourg would be a nice day trip from Basel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -