Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Day Trip to Switzerland from Bellagio? - Worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2009, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will be ending our hectic trip in Italy with a few days of rest in Bellagio. She learned that we are not far from Switzerland. Do you think it is worth our taking a day trip into Switzerland? We are only in Bellagio and Lake Region for 3 days, so I don't know how long it would take and if it is worth it. Is Lugano or any other place just over the boarder worth the trip?

Thanks.
Old May 4th, 2009, 03:46 AM

With only 3 days, I think you will find plenty to do in the immediate area. I would not bother going to Switzerland. The scenery is probably more beautiful around Lake Como.

Lugano is nice, but not compelling, in my opinion.

We did take a half-day trip to the outlet malls just over the border near Como, in Mendrisio, but you might not want to share this info with your wife, if she is a shopper!
Old May 4th, 2009, 06:29 AM

I took a day trip from Varenna to St. Moritz a few years ago and enjoyed it. However, I had a car and I was spending an entire week in Varenna. If I only had three days, and had just had a hectic tour of Italy, I probably would have just stayed in Varenna.
Old May 4th, 2009, 06:35 AM

Planner that I am, still this is the kind of decision I like to leave for the last minute. There's no reservations that need to be made. Get the details ahead of time so you know how to do this. Then, just go if you feel like it, don't go if you feel more like resting.

There are people that plan every minute of their days in a city. I don't see that. I keep a list of possibilities (with opening times), see what the weather's like, what we feel like, and act accordingly.
Old May 4th, 2009, 06:40 AM

It is easy to take the bus from Menaggio but i suspect you'll find plenty to see without going to Switzerland
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:08 AM

I would get there (bellagio) first. You probably won't get around to going to Switzerland, but
Option 1 Bus from Menaggio to Lake Lugano. Gandria, on the way to the town of Lugano, is supposed to be nice.
Option 2 The travel agency near the Varenna train station used to have a day trip to Switzerland offered on their website. (not Lugano, but the direction of St Moritz.)
Option 3 Go to Soglio in Switzerland (Very small village, only one hotel, dramatic setting). Not very easy without a rental car. Less than one hour each way with a car.

The Lake Como boat service goes to some dozen and half different towns. There a half dozen gardens or villas to tour. Plenty to do for three days unless you are really restless. Some of towns have market days which makes visiting a little more interesting.